1930's TT memorabilia
RichieRich Offline

Threads: 4
1930's TT memorabilia
Perhaps some of you knowledgeable types might be able to help me? Were any other 'trophies' or 'prizes' given to TT winners other than Silver or Bronze Replicas in the pre-war period? I have an old Pint Beer Glass with an engraving 'JS. L. 1934' on the bottom. I was wondering if it could have commererated Jimmy Simpsons victory in the Lightweight of that year.
Just as a footnote, I have a crossbelt number from I believe the 1931 Senior worn by a local rider to me HJ Bacon.. Every year I keep intending to do a lap of the mountain circuit wearing it...Maybe next year!
Thanks, Richard
25-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: 1930's TT memorabilia
The pint mug is intriguing. Replicas were definitely awarded as early as 1923. I think this will have a been a "whip round" by his mates to commemorate Jimmy's win after years of trying. Originally gold medals were awarded, and I can't think what year silver and bronze reps were first awarded. I remember seeing the replica that Chris Stead won in 1923,(used to stay at Steads Hotel in Onchan in the 60's) so I think they began after WW1. Larry will know.
Incidentally Jimmy Simpson was a big pal of my father (Allan Jefferies, grandfather of DJ), I would love to be able to ask both of them thousands of questions regarding the old days. Just amazing that JHS was the first man to lap at 60,70 and 80mph. I remember my father saying that when Jimmy first lapped at 60, the ACU were under pressure to ban the TT, and that's when they looked at running it in Belgium.
26-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Find Reply
RichieRich Offline

Threads: 4
NickJ Wrote:The pint mug is intriguing. Replicas were definitely awarded as early as 1923. I think this will have a been a "whip round" by his mates to commemorate Jimmy's win after years of trying. Originally gold medals were awarded, and I can't think what year silver and bronze reps were first awarded. I remember seeing the replica that Chris Stead won in 1923,(used to stay at Steads Hotel in Onchan in the 60's) so I think they began after WW1. Larry will know.
Incidentally Jimmy Simpson was a big pal of my father (Allan Jefferies, grandfather of DJ), I would love to be able to ask both of them thousands of questions regarding the old days. Just amazing that JHS was the first man to lap at 60,70 and 80mph. I remember my father saying that when Jimmy first lapped at 60, the ACU were under pressure to ban the TT, and that's when they looked at running it in Belgium.

Many thanks for your reply Nick.. You made my day!
Interesting you said that your Dad was a friend of JHS. I have a hardback book of the 1964 TT Races. It contains the 'Official Guide and Programme' and ACU Supplementary Regs for 1964. Inside is the name 'Mr. A. Jefferies' and may have come from the same source as the Simpson mug many years ago! Maybe you'd like to have a look one day? Anyway, back to the pint mug, it is also has beautifully engraved 'signatures' with "...all living TT winners..." up to Sept 1952 (39 signatures in all including Collier, Fowler, Woods, Simpson, Frith, Kluge, Daniell, Duke etc.) The 'JS L 1934' on the bottom does look older and is a different style than the signatures I just mentioned. There is another JS mug I'll try to dig out when I get a chance!
26-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Just returned from the TTRA Luncheon at the Nat. Museum in Bimingham.Always good to see so many old friends, and new President Neil Tuxworth made a fantastic speech.
It would be most interesting to see this mug! Maybe you could send me a photo of it. nick@nickjefferies.co.uk
I have many of those books you refer to. I've been using the 1963 book this week for references made by the Venerable E.H. Stenning, who wrote a lovely article about Manx place names and their origins. My father was Riders Liasion Officer and Deputy Clerk of the Course for many years. Interestingly the book you have was only given to officials of the Meeting, so I wonder who's yours was? Is there a name inside the front cover?
27-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Find Reply
G.F.Bacon Offline

Threads: 3
I am the son of H.J.Bacon(Bertie) and am gathering material about his 1920's to 1950's motoring. My father spent the family fortune on motorbikes and cars, both at the TT and Brooklands.

I have seen photos of him at the TT on a Sunbeam? bike and would be very grateful if you could send me any info on him ?He rode in the Junior Amateur TT in the 20's I think as well as the Senior TT later.He rode his last TT under the name B.Shaw at the age of 49 in the late 40s and came 8th , I believe?

When you say "by a local rider to me HJ Bacon" , is that Brooklands area,Surrey?

If anyone else has any more info please email.... bertie@camdenmarket.co.uk
Thanks.... Gra ham Bacon(my father had a sense of humor!)
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2009, 05:46 PM by G.F.Bacon.)
27-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
NickJ Wrote:Just returned from the TTRA Luncheon at the Nat. Museum in Bimingham.Always good to see so many old friends, and new President Neil Tuxworth made a fantastic speech.
It would be most interesting to see this mug! Maybe you could send me a photo of it. nick@nickjefferies.co.uk
I have many of those books you refer to. I've been using the 1963 book this week for references made by the Venerable E.H. Stenning, who wrote a lovely article about Manx place names and their origins. My father was Riders Liasion Officer and Deputy Clerk of the Course for many years. Interestingly the book you have was only given to officials of the Meeting, so I wonder who's yours was? Is there a name inside the front cover?

I liked this one by Canon Stenning, Nick, remember this article ??

http://www.ttfan.com/sten.htm
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

I do remember Ian. Only recently I was making a speech to a group of non motorcyclists on the Island, and I quoted The Venerable E.H. Stenning, re the Scandinavian meaning for the town of Ramsey, ie, "Islet of garlic".
I have much to thank him for in giving me a more in depth knowledge of our beloved Island. Those articles in the programmes of the late fifties, and early sixties were really interesting.
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Yes Nick, I met Canon Stenning on a number of occasions and he was a delight with whom to discuss the TT. So were Rev Bertie Reid and Prof A M Low (who wrote a kids book, well ahead of its time, called "Adrift in the Stratosphere" and he signed a copy for me !!)

Also there were articles (Tales of the TT by RR Holliday) which are as fresh and readable now as they were in the 50's.

Do you remember Tommy Ryan and Bill Lisle who, with my Dad, "coached" me in all things TT in my early days. They, and my Dad, were good pals having raced together on Speedway and in the big Trials of the day. They all raced against your Dad in fact !!!

I have a pile of old programmes with them all featured. Many of the committee of the TT in those days was made up with a number of stalwarts from the Newcastle and District Motor Club. Anybody else out there remembers these people I mention ?

The TT programmes in the 50's were great (and still are great) to read with so many original and interesting items about the TT and the Island. Not people re-hashing old worn out stories !

Finally, Nick to test you, who was Count Arthur Pachta-Reyhofen ?

All the best Nick, see you at the TT !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM by ian huntly.)
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Well Ian, I haven't Googled him, but I can't for the life of me think who the Count is!! Go on then, put me out of my misery!!
Regrettably the names Tommy Ryan and Bill Lisle don't ring any bells either. If it's Speedway, my cousin John Whitaker has all the answers. John has been involved in Speedway since the great Frank Varey rode for Belle Vue in the 20's and 30's. My Dad mechaniced for him in South America in the late 20's, and John could tell you a tale or two about their antics.
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

The Count was the Representative of the F.I.M. in 1956...............Perhaps it was a bit unfair to ask but I thought EVERYBODY knew the fact (just joking)

Tommy Ryan was Deputy Clerk of the Course and Chief Competitors Marshall and Bill Lisle was Clerk of Works in those far off days. I think they took on your Dad in various Trials such as the "Travers" up North. (that's where I saw them all in the programmes)
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Website Find Reply