Trophy to be awarded to Fastest Irishman at Isle of Man TT Races in tribute to Martin
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Trophy to be awarded to Fastest Irishman at Isle of Man TT Races in tribute to Martin
[Image: finnegan1.gif]

Bronze Arai helmet replica and prize fund awarded by Martin Finnegan Supporters Club

The Martin Finnegan Supporters Club has created an award to the fastest Irishman at the Isle of Man TT races, as a tribute to the legendary Irish racer. A solid bronze exact replica of Martin Finnegan’s Blue and White Arai RX7 helmet, weighing 3 stone, will be awarded annually at the Isle of Man TT Races from 2009. The trophy, together with a prize fund of €1000 Euros, has been designed and created by Dublin based Cooke and Co,

Martin will be remembered as one of the greatest riders to grace the legendary Mountain Circuit and his all-action style earned him a huge following of bike fans worldwide, as well as the nickname ‘Flying Finn’.

His single podium in the 2005 Senior TT Race, and a series of fourth place finishes, didn’t do justice to his ability and he was expected to challenge for honours at the 2008 races before his tragic death at the Tandragee Road Races. He is still the twelfth fastest man on the course from when he recorded an average lap of 127.010mph (17.49.39) in the Senior TT in 2005.

Shay Wherity, Chairman of the Martin Finnegan Supporters Club, said:

“We wanted to create a fitting legacy for one of the greatest and most popular road racers of all time. It was always Martin’s dream to win the TT and we hope that this trophy will encourage and reward future generations of Irish racing stars.”

Martyn Quayle, MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure commented:

“This is a great tribute to one of the greatest riders to grace the Isle of Man TT races. Martin was a legend on the Island and had a huge number of fans. It’s a great way to pay tribute to him.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
27-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Website Find Reply
2 stroke nod Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Trophy to be awarded to Fastest Irishman at Isle of Man TT Races in tribute to Martin
Saw a photo of this new trophy - really nice tribute to the Legend from Lusk

#45 Ride On
27-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Find Reply