Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Increased distribution and improved filming set to revolutionise TV coverage

North One Television, one of Europe’s leading production companies, who recently won the tender for the Television production, sales and distribution of the Isle of Man TT Races, is promising to revolutionise the TT Races Television coverage. The contract comes into effect for the 2009 TT races and runs until 2013.

The company recently visited Sportel, the International Sports Convention for Television and New Media in Monaco, where they were presenting the Isle of Man TT Races to potential TV channels. Neil Duncanson, CEO of North One, said that it was very well received:

'We are in advanced talks with UK broadcasters and we will be vastly improving the global distribution - that means stand-alone TT programming with a variety of major broadcasters around the world, which will bring not just money but significant exposure for the event and for the Isle of Man. We have been delighted with the reaction so far and early in the New Year we will be able to announce some of the deals we are currently negotiating.”

North One are also looking to improve the quality of coverage. Duncanson continued:

“2009 will see the event covered in High Definition, there will be 50 percent more course cameras and more behind the scenes coverage of the event and the riders, as well as a variety of innovations, including the use of CGI, high end graphics and special effects cameras that will help to capture the magic and personality of the races. We will be placing on board cameras on ten of the first fifteen riders in each race and we believe they will really lift the understanding and enjoyment of the whole TT spectacle.”

Details of the broadcast arrangements for the 2009 TT Races will be announced in the New Year.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
27-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
RE: Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company
More information here including words from an old TT supporter David Cretney.
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Televisio...4748472.jp
Details of the broadcast arrangements for the 2009 TT Races will be announced in the new year.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
23-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Due to racing committements not going to be able to get over to the Island this year, altho had hoped to for the first time in many years. Looking forward to see how the tv coverage is going to be improved since leaving Greenlight.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
23-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

The BBC Northern Ireland coverage was great last year I do hope they will be doing the same in 2009.
23-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Stella Offline

Yes exactly same thoughts here, to be honest i was really surprised to see the contract leave Greenlight.

However benifit of doubt where due and hopefully they will prove me wrong, await with interest.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
23-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
From Manx Radio Website:

"Tourism Minister Martyn Quayle says a one-year deal with ITV to cover the TT festival is preferable to a long-term contract with the BBC.

This morning, Manx Radio revealed BBC Northern Ireland had withdrawn from negotiations with the festival’s TV rights holder North One, after it was unable to secure a four-year deal.

North One says it’s still negotiating with other companies, and has already signed up ITV1 and ITV3 to televise the racing.

Mr Quayle (pictured) says a longer contract wasn’t an option."
23-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Errr ...... not quite what i had in mind ..... one year as compared to a long term deal ? but thought i read they had a four year contract....... take it money is the problem ...... last years coverage was great......i was awaiting the promise to revolutionise the event.....adverts as well..... bah humbug ....off to complete my christmas shopping .....disapointing or what..... i await to be convinced.....
23-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Looks like North One were too greedy or incompetent after all, and lost the BBC, this is a big dissapointment after their 'exciting' proposal served to dump the long standing Greenlight. David Cretney's sympathetic statement in parliament for Greenlight now makes it clear he 'may' have known what was going to happen.
Wonder what was wrong with a 4 year deal with the BBC, one of the biggest and most respected broadcasters in the world, if it wasn't money? Are they too old fashioned, too concervative, too traditional or just too professional and well run?
Well let's hope ITV will bring the TT into the lounge rooms of some more potential TT enthusiasts and future visitors to the Island that the BBC may not have reached.
24-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Don

I never know with you if your comments are meant to provoke or are actually well meaning concern. Given that you are normally bereft of the facts on these matters, I can only presume the latter. Let me give you a few on this topic which will help you with your opinion forming.

We haven't made any announcements about TT TV placements yet, because we aren't quite ready to do so, however we have been gazumped today it would seem. However the perception that this is a bad news story confuses me.

With the BBC there was a one off highlights show, one week after the event, plus coverage on one of the BBC regions (i.e. not nationwide) on offer. The UK deal North One have been able to strike with ITV completely eclipses that in every way. The deal sees the TT placed on ITV1 a number of times, in a decent slot. The only other sport that ITV1 will show in 2009 that I am aware of is UEFA Champions League (I may be wrong on this but there certainly isn't much). ITV4 will show full same day highlights shows throughout the fortnight. ITV are also putting their marketing weight behind the event which has a massive value to us. This is great news for the Isle of Man TT Races.

Internationally we have some great deals in the offing too, in fact Don there is some good news for TT fans in your country to come. Really good in fact. It is fair to say that the TT will reach a much bigger audience in 2009 on television than it has ever done before and we will provide all the details in the New Year but we are talking about stand-alone TT programming here, not features as part of motorsport magazine shows etc.

Technically and programme wise, I think you can be excited also. 2009 will see the event covered in High Definition, there will be 50 per cent more course cameras and more behind-the-scenes coverage of the event and the riders, as well as a variety of innovations, including the use of CGI, high end graphics and special effects cameras. We have also made arrangements for on-board cameras to be placed on 10 of the first 15 machines in every race.

Going forward, there has been huge appetite from broadcasters for the TT as a live product which we hope to bring on line for 2010, hence the one year deal scenario for 2009 with ITV.

I hope this information helps you understand things a little more. I speak as a TT fan and not as someone who works on the event when I say the potential of the TT on TV is huge and it is a very exciting time despite the economic problems.

Happy Christmas or Bar Humbug which ever you preferYahoo

Night

Paul
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2008, 01:29 AM by Paul Phillips.)
24-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

This was on the Internet Google search news:

"BBC drops TT over cash row
Manx Radio, UK - 12 hours ago
The BBC is to pull out of covering the TT in a row over money for television rights."

Sorry if the world media have got the facts wrong again.

My wish is that the TT could be covered live around the world, but I suppose this is a little unrealistic due to the length of the course and the time trial nature of the event. Nothing can beat being there and the more people who can go to see it the better, for the IOM as well.
24-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I have to say that watching the Rally events that are covered by North One I am really impressed and have been for many years. Rally has exactly the same problems as the TT, that is thaat the entrants don't run all together at the same time, they each attack the same piece of track or forrest at different times and this is something that TV has had major problems with in the past and even today. But North One with their use of Virtual Spectator and in car footage comparrisons between drivers really does bring the rally to life and I can only assume that they are going to do the same with the TT. I am really excited about this and I am sure Paul will be suprised at that as I am not one jumping up and down about much really, but this is a great step forward, just wait and see ........ it is going to be GREAT ....

Come on Don, I even thought for one moment you were suffering from SAD. But then remembered where you live......

Maybe its SNOTTEDS you are suffering from Seasonal NO TT Emotionally Deprived Syndrome. :-)
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2008, 03:50 PM by DCLUCIE.)
24-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Sounds interesting, and hopefully it proves to be, I know its different but i found the ITV tv coverage of the BSB series very disapointing hence my apprehension on reading the initial news.

However enough of bikes ! A very merry christmas to you all and a safe and sound new year.
24-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

I was visited last night by the Ghost of TT Future (Dclucie) and now I feel free of my skepticism.
[Image: ScroogeChristmasPast1.jpg]
I still reckon it was the money, North One got a contract to 2013, why not the BBC?
25-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Paul will no doubt be surprised to read my reaction to all this, and Don will perhaps be disappointed, but I'm with Dave C and reckon we should wait and see how it works.

Just as long as there's a transmission delay built in, and we don't have a repeat of Dave Goodley binning his Kawasaki in Union Mills on Lap one, as seen from his live on-board camera in whatever year it was.

Never saw a live feed's plug being pulled so fast!!!
25-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Posting at 02.24am..................what on earth were you doing ?sitting on the roof looking for Santa ?
25-12-2008, 12:56 PM
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
cargo Wrote:Posting at 02.24am..................what on earth were you doing ?sitting on the roof looking for Santa ?

[Image: dave_82_snow_1993.jpg]
26-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Don Simons Wrote:I still reckon it was the money, North One got a contract to 2013, why not the BBC?

I share your scepticism Don. Since the fat man got his hands on the event many former loyal supporters and sponsors have been binned in favour of those willing to pay more (while it suits them). Let's hope the new sponsors continue to support the TT during the recession, through thick and thin, as the ones they booted out did.

Having said that if North One do provide a superior product, supplied to free-to-air broadcasters, and do stick with it, I will be pleased to eat my hat.
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi All..! Happy New Year..!! We made it..!

Just comments from your non local Yank... For years, I would listen to Manx Radio via the internet. Then they figured out how to charge me, which I gladly paid... BUT, being as you lot are 8 hours ahead of me, sometimes I would doze off in the middle of it all. Now it would be AWESOME to see the races on the telly on time delay here..!

Cheers..!!

Ron
05-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Find Reply