Well, looks like it's happening
Mongo Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Well, looks like it's happening
I'm actually going to make it to the TT this year assuming I can find a way to get there, lodging, and of course beer money Big Grin

So anything a newbie should know? Right now it's the wife and I but I should have another 4 or so join us eventually. Hitting the travel agent tomorrow to see about flying to the island and renting a car there versus renting in England and then paying the ferry costs.

If we get lodging in Douglas would a car be essentially useless or is it well worth having to explore the island?

Any can't miss sights or pubs? Sights for her and pubs for me...

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
wera.com
05-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: Well, looks like it's happening
Well Mongo, I've been going every year since 1953, and I still get a thrill from the Island. In fact I was there only last weekend, and I had a really enjoyable weekend.
Anyway, most folk would say that you need transport. It's a big Island, and so much to see. It is fair to say that it is a BEAUTIFUL Island! Try and keep your mileage on the TT course to a minimum, buy an Ordanance survey map, and explore the place.
Can't miss sights? Calf of Man, Laxey Wheel, Niarbyl Bay, Peel Castle, Rushen Castle, there's a lot more, but it depends what you like. There are NINE golf courses, I find those attractive, not everyone does!
Douglas Prom at night during TT week is still pretty impressive, with lots going on, and little difficulty in finding a pub.
For viewing, you've got to watch at the bottom of Bray Hill at least once, once at the Grandstand, once at the Creg, and once at anywhere that tickles your fancy around the course. I always like the Gooseneck for the view.
If the weather is good, you're in for an unforgettable treat. You'll be asking yourself why you haven't been before!
Enjoy!
05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Well folks there is a TTwebsite first.....................a TT winner giving visitor advice to a TT newbie.........................

Cargo's top TT visitor tip.................................go watch the racing somewhere that is fast...................very fast.

Now as well as advice from a TT winner you've heard from a Manx GP backmarker..................

smilie

Any more good advice for Mongo
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Mongo Offline
Just Getting Started

Gotta say that's a large part of what I love about racing, backmarkers and champs alike will help you out Smile

Sean P. Clarke
wera.com
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Website Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
Mongo Wrote:Gotta say that's a large part of what I love about racing, backmarkers and champs alike will help you out Smile

See ya there Mongo, or in the WERA scene if I get some thing over there
I can fix anything!
06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
OK, for my 0.02£ worth, I love to spend one practice session watching at Ballaugh Bridge. One one side of the street you have a nice pub on the other side you get an even better view of the bikes in the air. Now, I have gone 5 times now (MGP), and just this year found out there are nice tiled public toilets on that other side... heh... The funniest part, is I have stood several times near that street sign, and never read it... Ooops..!!

My take... going to watch the races on the IOM is better than most of the sex I have ever had... well maybe all of the sex I have ever had... heh..

Cheers..!!

Ron
06-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Find Reply
Mongo Offline
Just Getting Started

A good spot to watch with toilets and a pub. That honestly sounds like heaven... Thanks!

Sean P. Clarke
wera.com
06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Website Find Reply
GREEBA#94 Offline

Threads: 11
Mongo,

I have just googled wera.com and i have nothing but admiration for the effort and cost that you have to endure to travel from North America to watch what is truly the greatest motorcycle racing event in the world.
I have been going to the TT and MGP most years since 1967 but i only have to travel 30 mins to catch the ferry. My father always says to anyone wanting to go to the TT, " You should always go once, after that please yourself ".
There are plenty of knowledgable, helpfull contributors on this site who can assist you with any queries you may have.
If you do make it, i can promise you that you will love every minute of your visit.

Greeba#94

P.s. The shopping on the island is limited, so that means more beer tokens, see, every cloud has a silver lining.
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Find Reply