HM PLANT HONDA LAY OFF MECHANICS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HM PLANT HONDA LAY OFF MECHANICS
As reported on the Bikeport News website.

News has reached us that HM Plant Honda boss Neil Tuxworth has been forced to lay off top mechanics sparking speculation the credit crunch really is biting in Louth.

Honda have stated previously that although their F1 team has been culled, the British Superbike team would only scale down its testing schedule with Honda UK General Manager Steve Martindale saying they would look at what they needed to run the team, instead of what they wanted.

It would now seem that, with technicians out of work three days before Christmas, HM Plant may well be a one-man team for the 2009 season, if they're there at all. However, BSB Series Director Stuart Higgs has said he believes the team will remain with a two-rider setup.

He said: "Honda have said to me they are committed to a two-man team for the 2009 British Superbike season despite the staff cuts."

Honda Japan have given out an edict that all MotoGP bike are to be built in the factory, not in Europe, to save money, and that everyone will now fly economy class instead of business.

Attempts to contact Neil Tuxworth have so far been fruitless...

Now where does that leave Honda for TT2009 ?????????????
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 31-12-2008, 01:13 PM by Malcolm.)
23-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

RE: HM PLANT HONDA LAY OFF MECHANICS
Oh no all those poor race teams flying economy class thats a disaster how will they ever cope.

This really is the limit racing as we know and love it is doomed forever.
23-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
My response from over on the BSB forum included,

A) I truly felt for the mechanics that had lost their jobs.

B) If being changed from business class to economy class was a problem, try sitting in the back of a race truck for 6 hours minimum every 2nd w/end going and coming back Bonk

However i sympathise with the querie regarding the TT but being realistic in the current financial climate sadly you have got to be realistic, and i honestly think a great deal of roadracing is going to be effected regarding entries especially from the teams whose financial committements are that of the works teams, where by hopefully the privateer who budgets and depends to a lesser degree on help may just about keep there heads above the water soz to speak.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2008, 06:29 PM by Stella.)
23-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
I reckon there will be some pretty serious number crunching by the manufacturers accountants in Japan and they are the guys who call the tune. For those are to young to remember, if my failing memory serves me correctly in 1968 the Honda works riders Mike Hailwood Ralph Briansall went to Japan expectinmg to test new bikes for 69 what they got was their P45s and a plane ticket home. Mike turned out at his next race on J think it was one of Reg Deardons Nortons at Mallory/

Honda never returned to racing for FIFTEEN YEARS THAT WAs because of a drop in sales due to the oil crises and inflation affecting sales, we are now facing the biggest recession since 1946.

Throughout the 70s the grids were dependant on private sponsors who dug deep in their pockets, to put bikes on the grids, Peter Padgett, Ted Broadm Syd Lawton Alan Dugdale, Eddie Crooks, Gerald Broan, Steve Wynn, Mal Carter, Hector Neil and dozens of others including myself and we all if I am correct had TT winners,

The grids were full with up to 120 starters and some of the best racing ever seen took and a lot of privateers were on the podium as well.

Just reflect on the recent disposal on Ebay of all those ex works Hondas, let no one kid themselvers it wont be the hired hands who make the decision it will be the financial controllere ans the banks who call the tune, in a financial crisis the first things that any business does is lay off employees and sell anything that can help the cashflow to pay the bills, rents, rates, Vat and Taxman.

The repo man has no mercy.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
29-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23
Things look bad for the Japanese car/bike industry as highlighted in the Times today. There is even a thought that there will be an amalgamation of companies and the first two talked about was Honda and Suzuki becoming one. Have to agree with Toms analysis
30-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
30-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Find Reply