RIP Alan Burt
cargo
Unregistered

RIP Alan Burt
Alan, lifelong friend of forum member, Jan Grainger, passed away today, Sunday Australia time just a few weeks short of his 86th birthday. Alan was best mate to Bobby Brown, and a favourite Australian rider who competed locally during the 1950's and in Classic events until his sixties.
Alan represented Australia at the IoM TT, the Ulster GP and Europe in 1955 and 1958 riding AJS 7rs and G45 and G50 Matchless's.
Alan spent the last few years in a Sydney nursing home and unfortunately suffered a heart attack this morning before he was due to have an outing to a motorcycle event with good friend, Dennis Quinlan. This photo of Al and Jan was taken only three days ago[Image: IMG_0982.jpg]
25-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
RE: RIP Alan Burt
There is a very nice article on Allen on the following website with many photos:
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/2009/0...ogent.html
Having his vintage bikes stolen some time back would not have helped his health.
A sad loss.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
25-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Don Simons Wrote:There is a very nice article on Allen on the following website with many photos:
Having his vintage bikes stolen some time back would not have helped his health.
A sad loss.
Don, that despicable act had a devestating affect on Alan. At least he did know that those responsible had been arrested but the bikes will never be located. I will follow the hearing with keen interest and hope that enough evidence can be uncovered for them to go to trial. I shall be at every court hearing and hopefully a trial I possibly can.
25-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Don Simons Wrote:There is a very nice article on Allen on the following website with many photos:
A sad loss.
yes, lovely story on his dear friend , Alan, I know Dennis was up till all hours putting it together. Alan was very fortunate to have someone as special as Dennis in his corner during the past few years.
26-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
I love these tales of the Aussie and Kiwi riders who came here to race in the 50's and 60's.
The world was a much bigger place then, and it must have taken some bravery and determination to leave their loved ones and travel half way around the world to race at the most dangerous track on Earth.
29-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

T-M Wrote:I love these tales of the Aussie and Kiwi riders who came here to race in the 50's and 60's.
The world was a much bigger place then, and it must have taken some bravery and determination to leave their loved ones and travel half way around the world to race at the most dangerous track on Earth.
As a matter of fact, we were talking to Alan about this only a few days before his passing. The five to six week sailing on the ships, then landing at Southhampton, arranging for the bikes to travel north then the ferry ride to Douglas. One of the famous Hinton family, Eric, a former TT rider of the fifties was at Al's funeral yesterday which was attended by so many people. Just showed how popular he was and how the motorcycle 'family' stick together and remain life long friends. The Douglas family Al stayed with after his dreadful crash in '55 still kept in contact with him.
Yes, it was a long way for the lads to travel from their friends and loved ones and, of course, we knew that some may not return.
29-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
I remember Bill Horsman in '97 and was delighted when he won the Junior Classic of that year. He was one who stayed behind but was a bit of a star apparently at the time of Tom Phillis etc on the Aussie circuits! Pity he never made the trip much earlier, who knows!
30-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Find Reply