Why no Stanley Woods Memorial
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27
Why no Stanley Woods Memorial
A friend at work today asked me why there was no memorial to the great Stanley Woods anywhere on the TT course , not something i had thought about before but on reflection there should be really , he was i suppose the first TT superstar winning ten TT races , was always a supporter of the event & came back as often as he could , we have Hailwoods , Joeys , Dukes , etc , why not woods , i am sure an appropriate section could easily be found , what say you all . Shaun
09-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
Bakeriom Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Why no Stanley Woods Memorial
shaun hogg Wrote:A friend at work today asked me why there was no memorial to the great Stanley Woods anywhere on the TT course , not something i had thought about before but on reflection there should be really , he was i suppose the first TT superstar winning ten TT races , was always a supporter of the event & came back as often as he could , we have Hailwoods , Joeys , Dukes , etc , why not woods , i am sure an appropriate section could easily be found , what say you all . Shaun

There is the Stanley Woods Memorial Clock on the scoreboard which was unveiled in 1994. I was only made aware of it recently though. Must have passed it hundreds of times and never really noticed it up there!
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: Why no Stanley Woods Memorial + Elwyn Roberts
Quote:There is the Stanley Woods Memorial Clock on the scoreboard which was unveiled in 1994. I was only made aware of it recently though. Must have passed it hundreds of times and never really noticed it up there!

It would be fitting for a more public memorial to Stanley. I do worry about the on-course memorials, I reckon the grass area in front of what was the Murray's Museum would make a super memorial garden, to join with the Joey statue.

On another point, just heard from Elwyn Roberts who has been under the weather for some time, he is bearing up and hopes to be over for the TT again this year.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM by Malcolm.)
10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
[Image: chronik_TT_100.jpg]

You think the Irishmen would put their hands in their
long pockets and get a statue of old Stanley up
there with Joey.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM by Don Simons.)
11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Find Reply
2 stroke nod Offline

Threads: 4
I only found out recently that Stanley lived just around the corner from my fathers house!

Stanley Woods - Road Racing Pioneer and Legend smilie
17-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Don Simons Wrote:[Image: chronik_TT_100.jpg]

You think the Irishmen would put their hands in their
long pockets and get a statue of old Stanley up
there with Joey.
What a fabulous photo. I would like to know two things, I wonder where that little scout is these days and I wonder what the photographer was saying to the lads at the time he took the pic. They all have a look of mischief in their eyes.
18-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I had the very same thought the scout is probably the only one who could still be with us.

I reckon the are all looking at something or someone to the right of the photographer perhaps another photographer ?

It kind of scares me that given how old this picture looks I actually met Stanley a couple of times.................how old does that make me appear.................

WORRIED NOW
18-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
This snap is of Cargo in Scout uniform (third from the right) watching his first TT. Just how old is he?

[Image: 3322517.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=86F19...4F32AD3138]

Note by Cargo..........the picture wasn't visible I fixed it.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
18-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Find Reply