To those of you TT fans on Facebook.
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
To those of you TT fans on Facebook.
I have tonight resigned from Facebook.

I'm saying goodbye and sorry to all my many Facebook friends but I have received an enormous amount of abuse, and even threats, from a large group of people on Facebook who think that I am the Soham killer. ( I am absolutely serious about this)

As you all know my name is spelt HUNTLY not HUNTLEY but these "contributors" clearly can't spell and when I contacted one person to explain the difference, I was told I was a Huntly no matter how it is spelt and they want "ME" off !

I changed my "name" on facebook to Ian the TTFAN but my full name is still retrievable.

I was originally introduced to Facebook by my friend Kevin Ago Murphy and I thank him for doing so, but it is a bit awful when my name which I have had for 70 years is anathema to some.

When it all happened years ago I had abusive telephone calls which I reported to the police....All they said was "Just be glad your name's not Adolf Hitler"... That was really helpful.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
03-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
RE: To those of you TT fans on Facebook.
Its a sick world my friend
Well, in soem ways

Leave Facebook to the idiots

I am sorry that you have had this experience
MV
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Mad_Sunday Offline

Threads: 4
Ian I'm sure your rightly proud of your name. My Doctor is Dr. Shipman, he too, I'm sure gets lots of grief because of this but he just gets on with it. He is an excellent Doctor and I think it's just great that he is able to ignore the possibilities of problems occurring.

With regard to Facebook.........I believe it's just a sales tool and have no intention of giving any of my details to these info grabbing web con men.

Pete
Hackintosh laptop, cos it's cheaper than a Mac but works the same Icon_biggrin
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
Carole Offline
Multi tasker

Threads: 4
Ian,

What a world- unfortunately Face book, and other sites like it, seem to attract this type of gang mentality from some that join, to the detriment of the majority.

Keep posting here, and the sensible will continue to make you welcome, we all know you are an OK guy.
Life's too short- live it to the max and enjoy yourselves
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Hello Carole,

I have now had some very nice messages on my private e-mail, by text and one or two on here and I appreciate them all.

I was quite surprised to see just how many people associated with the TT are on FB, so it points to a very small minority who spoilt it for me.

Personally I'm sticking to Friends ReUnited using set categories including school and college and places I used to work, but also I have created sections dedicated to the TT, the TTSC and other tangents of the TT.

The newspapers have very bad comments about FB in them at present so I'm glad I'm off it.

Thanks to all who have shown sympathy !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
I can't say I blame you Ian.Although I occasionally use Facebook, I find it rather childish and irritating.All that stupid stuff about sending gifts to people and "poking" them.What a waste of time.It's far better to simply email your friends,and more private too.I'd rather be knitting,lol
16-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
I also have scrubbed it as it could open up a load of loopholes. Bonk Bonk
Roll on Kells 2010
(This post was last modified: 21-03-2009, 01:08 PM by Malcolm.)
21-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Find Reply