What is going on over there?
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
RE: What is going on over there?
Sorry to confuse everyone but now Manx Radio is quoting Simon Crellin (the public relations officer for the TT), as saying:
"... regulations for entry to the inaugural TTXGP mean riders have to complete a certain number of laps around the course."
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
15-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
C'mon.........let's not be too hard on the DoT and DTL for forgetting that extra practice time had to be added. They have had bigger fish to fry.

[Image: salmon.jpg]

"Restored Habitat for Manx Salmon - D.A.F.F Press Release
Manx salmon and sea trout returning to the Santon Burn will have several more miles of top quality river habitat to spawn in this winter.

Over the past 5 years, monitoring of the river carried out by the Department has recorded populations of juvenile salmon present downstream of the Fairy Bridge, however only brown trout have ever been recorded upstream.

The Department has worked in conjunction with the Department of Transport and the landowners to implement the design and construction of a bypass channel in the disused mill race adjacent to the weir thus allowing salmon and sea trout access to the extensive stretches of high quality habitat upstream.

Work on the new bypass channel was carried out by the Works Division of DoT and has recently been completed. Mr D Quirk, MHK, member for Fisheries says

‘I am delighted that this joint initiative between the 2 Departments has been such a success, and that, salmon and sea trout will once again be able to access new spawning grounds in this small stream. This project is a wonderful demonstration of the positive impact relatively low cost, and low tech measures can have on safeguarding and enhancing our Natural Heritage. I would like to congratulate the DoT staff who constructed the pass on time, and under budget, and think that this a great example of successful inter-Departmental co-operation.’ "
15-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
LmaoJok
15-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
So has anyone here voiced their opinions directly to the organisers?
What response have you had? Ring someone important, find out and let us all know Big Grin

Or tell me the question and I will do it (you'll have to tell me exactly who I am supposed to ask of course) , I'm getting into this ringing important people thing at the moment ( will expand on that at a later date, will give you a proper chuckle).
SteveEnglish
15-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Well Steve there have been so many clowns making statements about this Shakespearean farce that it would be very hard to decide who to ring. We have had Transport minister David Anderson and Simon Crellin (the public relations officer for the TT)? as well as Minister Quayle all talking to the news media as if they know what is going on. However the actual organisers of the TT such as Mr Jim Parker chairman of the ACU Events (Isle of Man) Pty Ltd and Mr Paul Phillips Motorsport development officer for the Manx government have gone to ground on the subject, for which you couldn't blame them. Allison the mouthpiece for the entrepreneurs has been gagged due to an embarrassing habit of trying to tell the truth. It may be better to ring Norman Wisdom or Arthur Askey or the cleaning lady in ward 12 at Noble's hospital if you want further laughs or salacious gossip; but whatever you do find out please broadcast it on Manx Radio and print it here, heaven knows the world needs a good laugh sometimes.
[Image: sammytheduckmz5.jpg]
I am sorry Steve none of us here know what's happening perhaps if you ask the duck.
16-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Don sitting so far away you have no idea what affect this is having locally. The IOMtoday page is just a small number of people that have had enough. I say it again just to make this clear. I don't believe that the organisers really wanted this. This has been forced on them as a PR stunt by a thick MHK.

As for Alison well I think she is no longer involved.

To tell you honestly I think this is a major problem that has been brought, or should I say pushed through top apease this bloke Hussain. It hasn't been thought through, the impact hasn't been thought and the devistating damage to the reputation of the organisers from the view point of the Manx people has been drastically underestimated, or not even considered. Mr Hussain has pushed for this and the MHK's have complied, and passed the buck to the MSDT and the organisers. I can picture it now, 'here you go do this for me will you?' and that would be that.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
16-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

You are dead right that is the reason for this thread because nobody outside of the IOM can contemplate what is going on. For my part I see the name (or brand) of the TT being prostituted by a pack of amateurs. First they called a short circuit race at Billown a TT just to shut up the whingers that the real TTs were becoming all the same and boring. Now they let some guy who nobody knows come along and hoodwink them into allowing some sideshow to be called a TT which in the meantime is upsetting everyone left, right and center. But when you ask "What's going on over there?" there is a deafening silence from those in positions of authority. These same people who have previously been so quick to scotch any out of line comment on this and other sites. Their silence in my opinion confirms that they share the consensus opinion that although most people are interested in alternative energy solutions this event is so poorly thought through that it is fast becoming something of a joke.
16-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Just to let you know what this MHK really thinks, he was quoted as saying in the local newspaper 'well if it is going to cause problems just leave work a little earlier'. HE has no idea of the impact. I can hardly wait to see all the staff at Nobles leave an hour earlier and not have the next shift in ready to take over and cover the actual practice itself. Lets see what would happen then...

What do you mean fast BECOMING a joke, it is already there. ITs such a shame that all the good work of the past has been undone in one moment of madness by this MHK. I feel sorry for Paul Phillips, and I don't often say that..... lol hi Paul....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2009, 02:10 PM by DCLUCIE.)
16-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
Let's try and encapsulate why all this is happening...

Despite all the propaganda about high levels of interest it became apparent with two days left before entries closed that this was not in fact the case. As I'd long suspected, there were machines entered with no-one to ride them. Now, all of a sudden, the MMCC relents on it's ruling allowing MGP riders in with no penalty (govt pressure?). The problem is, they need to do 5 qualifying laps (not an issue for the TT guys) which hadn't been factored into the original plan...

So, who's actually driving this. We know about Azhar Hussain. He's obviously a clever salesman and as repeatedly mentioned in numerous press releases about the demo bike he had built, he hopes to sell road going versions off the back of this venture.

When TTxGP broke cover the name associated with it at the time was John Shimmin MHK, who I believe is on record as having no particular interest in the TT. He's been awfully quiet since though.

And if you look here...

http://ttxgp.com/photos/v/2008-08-05%20L...unch/&p=36

...you may recognise the Chief Minister of the Isle of Man. He's been rather quiet publicly too.

Because of the wall of silence about the organisation I'm taking a guess that these three gentlemen are a major part of it and unless I'm mistaken, none of them have any prior experience organising a major motorsport event. I stress that I'm guessing at this, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct me - I'm just putting 2 & 2 together from information in the public domain.

My guess is Martin Quayle is just the poor schlub who has to take the flak.

One final and very pertinent thing, is as far as I know, most (if not all) of the bikes entered haven't run yet - indeed some of them may only exist on a CAD screen. I wonder how many will actually show up?
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2009, 02:50 PM by sticky.)
16-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

"better to ring Norman Wisdom or Arthur Askey or the cleaning lady in ward 12 at Noble's hospital"
quote from Don Simons
Don,you do realise that Gail ( my daughter) is a cleaning lady/housekeeper on that ward don't you? You are correct though, she WOULD have much more of a clue what is going on.You must have psychic powers too,as well as a wicked sense of humour.
To everyone else, what odds will the bookies give for bets on the extra practice not going ahead? Must be a safer bet than putting money in the bank!Talk Rubbish
16-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Find Reply
frex Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
I find the extra road closures unbelievable, and they will obviously have a negative effect on the TT for all the reasons already given. But the following is from a post I have put on iomtt.com, outlining my main concern and asking for clarification from Paul Phillips or anyone else able to do so:

In the event of delays, is it guaranteed that TTXGP will be sacrificed to allow the Senior to run?

I do not know if it is true, but I have heard that the money the Manx Government have invested in TTXGP has been done as a business venture and makes them a major shareholder in the company. I do not expect this to be confirmed or denied, and like I said, it's just something I've heard. But, it would appear that the Manx Government are certainly very keen for the event to go ahead, with the extra practice and all the rule changes that they are facilitating.

The TT races are the greatest road races in the world, with the Senior race being the absolute pinacle. Any practice or race time being cut short, or even sacrificed for the TTXGP would be to many of us unforgivable, but if the Senior were to be cut short or sacrificed in favour of TTXGP then I for one would certainly not be coming back.

After being told last year that TTXGP would not interfere with the TT, we have already seen many changes, including the rule change to allow MGP riders to compete, and now, in order that they can compete we have seen extra practice being scheduled for TTXGP, that can't be found for the TT.
But my main worry is the rescheduling of the TTXGP to run before the Senior race. We have not been given any reason for this and the only reason I can see is to ensure that the TTXGP has priority if there are delays.

I have been told a number of times on the subject of the TTXGP that I and others are just being cynical. If it is the case that I am just being cynical (which I hope it is) then it should be very easy to get clarification that the TTXGP will step aside in the event of delays ( as we were told many months ago would be the case). If no-one is able or prepared to give an answer then perhaps those who say I am being cynical should think hard about what is happening.

I fully support all the riders and teams involved in the TTXGP, but I also support all the riders and teams involved in the Senior race, of which there are many more than in TTXGP, and for many of these riders and teams the Senior race is one of the most important races of the year. So I think this question deserves an answer, if not for the fans, then certainly for all the riders and teams involved in the Senior.

So to repeat the question, in the event of delays, is it guaranteed that TTXGP will be sacrificed to allow the Senior to run?
16-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
I'm glad my post to ring important people got mostly ignored, it was one of my 'post 2 bottles of chardonnay ones'.
I'm going to read this again and see if it makes any more sense, so far it doesn't seem to (not the thread, the politics behind it all - don't take offence!)
SteveEnglish
16-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Website Find Reply
hilary R Offline

Threads: 0
steve-e Wrote:I'm glad my post to ring important people got mostly ignored, it was one of my 'post 2 bottles of chardonnay ones'.
I'm going to read this again and see if it makes any more sense, so far it doesn't seem to (not the thread, the politics behind it all - don't take offence!)

When you take to the chardonnay again theres a little bloke called Azhur Hussain he could probably do with a talking to, have 3 bottles you can say what you like
we await with antisipation
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2009, 10:22 PM by hilary R.)
16-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Find Reply
hilary R Offline

Threads: 0
hilary R Wrote:
steve-e Wrote:I'm glad my post to ring important people got mostly ignored, it was one of my 'post 2 bottles of chardonnay ones'.

When you take to the chardonnay again theres a little bloke called Azhur Hussain he could probably do with a talking to, have 3 bottles you can say what you like
we await with antisipation
Concerns in Ramsey over early practice sessions
Published online at 16/04/2009 20:35:46

Brian Beattie

There is more opposition to the plans to close the TT course an hour early for some of this year's practice sessions.

Ramsey Commissioners are worried about the impact it would have on residents and workers.

Chairman Brian Beattie is confident fans will still travel to the town to watch the races, but he has serious concerns about people who work in Ramsey facing lengthy delays in getting home.

Earlier this week it was announced the mountain section would close at 4pm for four consecutive days from the Tuesday of practice week, with the rest of the course closing an hour later.

It's to give new competitors in the green emissions TTXGP enough time to qualify.

In the past few days marshals, medics and local authorities have added their voices to the weight of opposition.

Mr Beattie fears Ramsey will see a repeat of the traffic chaos that affected Douglas during last year's Manx Grand Prix:
16-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Breaking news from Nurse Gail in Ward 12, where they are Open All Hours is that there has been a rider change on the electric shop bike as Granville is not well. Arkwright has agreed to step in so as not to dissapoint the massive crowds walking home from work.
[Image: 578.jpg]
Unofficial practice photo taken outside their secret training camp in Port Saint Mary
17-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Please don't give The Witch any ideas about the latest Electric three wheelers,Mr Simons.They will be demanding extra practice for them next!
I still can't see the extra practice time going ahead.There are too many problems,which appear to be escalating, and I also find it difficult to believe that anyone was consulted about this, or we would have heard some time ago,and there would have been meetings organised for marshals and medics.They are the people with the sense,dedication,and love of the sport,not the politicians,or most of them.
17-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Here's a question for you, is the winner going to be classified as a TT winner?
17-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
DCLUCIE Wrote:Here's a question for you, is the winner going to be classified as a TT winner?

........and does he/she have to get back to the Grandstand to finish a winner?
17-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Minister Quayle scores the perfect 10 for the back somersault.
[Image: 17william_somersault.jpg]
18-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Find Reply