Attention MGP Riders
Anonymous
Unregistered

Attention MGP Riders
Just to bring to your attention article 5.24 in the ACU Road Race regs, page 184, which reads as follows:

"BRAKES. For machines fitted with two front disc brakes the split of the front brake lines for both front brake calipers must be made above the lower fork bridge."

This is not a new regulation, but to avoid disappointment at first practice, I thought I'd make mention of it now. Many new bikes have an "up and over" brake line, which runs from one caliper to the other, straight over the mudguard. No bike will be allowed through scrutineering with this set up. Also, cable-tying brake lines together below the bottom yoke produces the same effect.
13-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Attention MGP Riders
Each year there appears to be 'new' regulations pounced on. They may not be new but they are certainly either not been determined in the past which leads to machines passing last year but not this year, or ones thought up the night before (or so it sometimes seems).
If anyone knows any of the secrets!!!!this year lets get them posted on this site.
Rmember last years fiasco with the exhaust springs being double and treble lockwired and a couple of years ago the one about the wheel spindles......
14-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Jo, last year at scrutineering I was asked the question about my 125, " Are you intending to do something about your back tyre?", to which my answer was " Like what?". Scrutineers answer " Fit a new one", My answer, " That IS a new one". Scrutineers answer " Well, Ive been told they've got to have one and a half millimetre of tread on them" my answer " 125 tyres barely have one and a half millimetre of tread when theyre new". And thats a fact that I told thm in the 1980's when I used to ride the 180. It obviously takes a long time to sink in!!! So , according to this rule 125 tyres are worn out before they've even been fitted!!!! Lets just say, commonsense prevailed on these occasions
14-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you were to take the trouble to read your regs you'd find all the rules and regs you need to know.
Plus it quite within the remit of the scrutineers to introduce a change or intorduce new rule regarding machine safety at any time of their choseing.If such a change does occur they will always give you a chance to do whatever work is needed for the next days practice.
I believe that the job of scrutineers is one of the most thankless jobs there is yet all they are doing is looking out for our (riders) wellbeing.
I for one like it when they find fault with my bike it proves they are doing their job well.

14-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi MGP Rider, as Cargo says, careful reading of regs would have alerted you to the fact that wheel spindles/exhaust springs needed lock wiring and for information, they still do! All I was trying to achieve was to forewarn as many of you as possible. Not because we have a "bee in our bonnet" about brake lines this year, just that manufacturers are favouring this type of brake system and therefore it comes up naturally at scrutineering. I wanted to take advantage of the knowledge gained at TT, where pretty much no-one had applied the aforementioned regulation to the "up and over" brake lines. I was only trying to help!

Ammo, we're only human! Apologies to your good self!
14-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although some of the ACU regs seem a bit pointless from time to time they are still regs and we have to follow them. As such I find posts such as these quite useful as they give us a bit of advance warning of the scrutineers' 'hot buttons' for the year :o)
17-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Des, Couldn't agree with you more! That was the whole point of my posting and I'm happy to advise on such issues! I never say I agree with or like some of the ACU regs but both scrutineers and riders alike have to abide by the regs. So we may aswell make everyone's life easier and bring such points to the front of everyone's mind, especially for those who haven't read their regs!

To be forewarned is to be forearmed!
17-07-2003, 11:04 PM