Can it be renovated in time ?
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Can it be renovated in time ?
I have just been sent a photograph of one of our top stand-up comedians, lately appearing at the Villa Marina, who is seen to be standing in front of the TT course map on the Scoreboard.

The map and wood backing look in very poor condition and desperately need renovating. Therefore could some budget go to bringing this map back to a nice acceptable condition, in front of which people can be photographed without considered comments from a critical fan such as me me.

I know that a load of money is already directed into the TT to run the event but it's things like this that people see.

Perhaps Honda could have put some of their input into this renovation as a sponsorship which could last another 50 years..........

If not, I pledge £100 as "TTFan" !! (one HUNDRED) Start a Map Fund !

Any other people feel as I do ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
24-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Website Find Reply
Bakeriom Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Can it be renovated in time ?
Hi Ian

I have a new board on hold as the old board has a certain 'rustic?' historical charm about it that certain photographers like to use for such photo's as used in the article you mentioned.

It may be that we just patch up the old one with a bit of TLC as a completely new board may look out of place.

Rest assured it is under review!

Cheers

Bruce
24-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
The Stanley Woods Clock - scoreboard
I have noticed that the Stanley Woods Memorial clock on the Grandstand has not been working for a little while; can the powers to be get someone to put in a new battery or wind it up in time for TT 2009 please!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
24-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Website Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
On the same side of course,is it possible ,for the interest of spectators on granstand ,to turn speed timer on.
PITLANE 07
25-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Find Reply
Bakeriom Offline

Hi Bill

I clocked the time error today! The company that usually maintains it contacted me to arrange a date for them to travel over and service it but they never turned up.

Will have to give them a call on Monday.
25-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
It would be great idea to have an independant person, such as a long standing spectator, to do a leisurely lap as a passenger in a car, observe carefully and submit a report to help the TT to find such problems before the TT comes.

Not everyone sees only the bikes going past and the racing, there are parts of the course, the clock, the scoreboards etc on which could be prepared a report so that the organisers who do have a lot on their plate on their own accord, (and even the best organisers can miss something), could read it and decide what they could do or have done to raise the already high standard of this annual event.

A few years back, I used to strap a large Panasonic video camera to my roof rack, do a lap then analyse the video back at my hotel almost frame by frame, for my own interest to see what had been done since the previous year. Line changes on corners, surface changes and gaps in hedges were evident and I used to show my video up at the Douglas Bay Hotel at the beginning of practice week and had some famous names of the time in the audience. High speed video laps have now taken over but sometimes a more sedate lap with a commentary and interjections by the audience was quite productive. Without getting off the point too much, is there a person who looks for the "less important" glitches such as we are discussing ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
26-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Website Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
Not actually the TT or IOM but there's an interesting old display board by the Start / Finish at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough. One of the very rare Road Racing Course in the UK.

The Board was sponsored by the "News Chronical" and lists winners going back to the late 1940's. Many famous names on it but the entries were discontinued several years ago. A great pity and the board is getting very faded.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 26-04-2009, 03:50 PM by Chris Maybury.)
26-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
There were 3 or 4 people working on the grandstand scoreboard yesterday (Saturday) - looked like they were painting the black bits
26-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Bakeriom Offline

samwise Wrote:There were 3 or 4 people working on the grandstand scoreboard yesterday (Saturday) - looked like they were painting the black bits

Part of Paul's 'A' Team. Volunteers who turn up at the weekends before the main event to help freshen the place up. The Scoreboard will need plenty more man (and women) hours to finish so drop by and grab a brush!

A note about the clock, the electrics to the board is being worked on to make safe and as such the supply has been isolated. Hope to get it back on asap.
27-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Website Find Reply