North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
250cc and 125cc Tuesday Practice Session

All Practice Session Results

Michael Dunlop, the winner of the emotional 250cc race a year ago, only managed one flying lap in the 250cc practice session but it was quick enough for second spot just a tenth of a second behind 2007 race winner Christian Elkin.

John McGuinness is currently in third position.

Unfortunately Dunlop’s machine developed a mechanical fault on the next lap forcing him into the pits saying, “I’ll have to burn the midnight oil to get the bike sorted for Thursday.”

Meanwhile William, a lowly 22nd in the 250cc class was second fastest rider on track in the 125cc category, but only completed one qualifying lap and is deemed a non-qualifier at this stage.

David Lemon leads the way from Ollie Linsdell and Chris Palmer.

Darren Burns, who suffered multiple injuries a year ago, is back on song and sixth fastest in the 250cc class.

Click HERE to download the 250cc Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the 125cc Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the DeWalt Superbike Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the Clinton Supersport Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the CP Hire Superstock Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the Blackhorse Superbike Practice Session Times.

Click HERE to download the Ballymoney Council Supersport Practice Session Times.

The downloads are .pdf files so you will need Adobe to read them.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2009, 09:22 PM by Malcolm.)
13-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: North West 200 Postings (Updated)
Rider Anderton 'critical' after NW200 crash

Rider John Anderton is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash at Tuesday night's practice session for the North West 200 in Portstewart.

The 29-year-old, from antrim was taken to the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine initially, but was later moved to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

The crash happened during the final session of the 600cc class at Station Corner at around 9.20pm.

Anderton was travelling at over 100 mph on a fast section of the circuit.

The Station Road in Portstewart was closed for a time afterwards.

Anderton had been competing in England for the last few years but had returned to Northern Ireland this year to ride in the Irish Supersport Championship.

He crashed in the first round of the championship at Mondello Park in March and the injuries he sustained ruled him out of the Ulster team for the MotoSix Six Nations Championship at Donington Park.

He rides for IFS team, on board a Yamaha R6.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
13-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Triangle Qualifying Domination For Relentless Suzuki

Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing all but dominated the opening night’s practice sessions at the International North West 200 in Northern Ireland, with Kiwi Bruce Anstey taking up the provisional pole slot in the premier Superbike class, and Alastair Seeley leading a GSX–R1000, ‘one-two-three’ in the Superstock class.

It was Aussie Cameron Donald who ran Seeley closest in 'stock qualifying but with little time to put in fast laps, all three Relentless Suzuki riders impressed greatly, in the dry but windy coastal conditions on their 2009 GSX–R1000 machinery. Donald also finished the night fifth in the Superbike class and provisionally on row two of the grid.

Alastair Seeley, who currently leads the National Superstock 1000 class in the UK for Relentless Suzuki, also set a blistering lap in NW200 Superbike qualifying on his 'stock 2009 GSX–R1000 that gives him a provisional front row start in third place.

Bruce Anstey leads the Relentless Suzuki charge in the Supersport class in fourth position with Cameron Donald eighth.

Philip Neill –Team Principal

“What a start to the North West 200! Obviously we are sitting in a great position at this early stage of the week, but I have also been weather watching and if Thursday’s session is wet, as forecast, then the times will not be bettered. Our emphasis last night was always to get all of our bikes qualified and with it being dry, the boys really went for it.

“Pole was not our optimum goal, but to get it in the two main classes is great for the 2009 GSX–R1000 Suzuki, Relentless and all our associated sponsors. Like everyone else we still have a bit of fine-tuning to do before Saturday’s race, but I have to say, I’m impressed with the boys, especially as they have completed a small number of test sessions before this event.

“What can we say about Bruce Anstey? He simply is a genius, and with so many BSB riders out there, with loads of racing miles and Spanish tests under their belts… well it just makes his pole time a phenomenal achievement. Cameron was equally as impressive and almost matched Alastair in the Superstock class and his fifth on the Superbike is a solid performance.

“Alastair Seeley has already proved his pedigree this year in Relentless Suzuki colours and his provisional pole does not surprise me at all. We are very strong in the Superstock class and I do feel my management skills could be tested on Saturday. I also may have to put my hands over my eyes on a couple of occasions!”

LIVE on BBC

Tune in to BBC1 tonight at 7pm [behind the red button] and enjoy team interviews direct from the North West 200 paddock, hosted by Stephen Watson.

On Friday night, LIVE on BBC2, a mini studio will be set up in the Relentless Suzuki garage where you can re-live all the qualifying action with rider and team interviews, again hosted by Stephen Watson.

If you would like to watch On-line streaming from Thursday night’s practice or Saturday’s race action, go to – http://www.bbc.co.uk/nw200
14-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Isle of Man duo Keen and Hunt worth watching

Two newcomers worth watching in Saturday’s racing are the Isle of Man duo Daniel Kneen and Gavin Hunt.

Kneen was a double Manx Grand Prix winner last year and just recently won the second round of the British 600cc superstock championship at Oulton Park.

On Tuesday evening he had a lap of 116.028mph in the first superstock session putting him in 7th position, while he finished 18th in the supersport session.

Hunt, the son of ex-racer and Isle of Man fireman Paul Hunt, on his first visit to the Triangle circuit had a lap in excess of 112mph in the superbike class.

Relentless Suzuki by TAS boss Hector Neill was smiling from ear to ear as his three runners made it an all Suzuki provisional front row for the CP Hire Superstock race with Alastair Seeley making his road-racing debut for the team in pole closely followed by Australian Donald and Kiwi Anstey.

Guy Martin, noted for his shall we say unusual accent, came up with another gem when he said, “I have probably got the fastest superbike out there, in fact it is so fast it is pulling rabbits out of the ditches!”

Talking of his fitness he quipped, “Use a gym, boy the nearest I ever got to one of those was when someone showed me a picture of one. I use downhill mountain bike racing to keep my reflexes sharp and my fitness in tip top shape.”

Michael Dunlop was well pleased with his provisional supersport pole position saying, “I am well chuffed with that. It’s the most competitive class and it is my main goal for Saturday where I will be giving it 100%.”

Watched the BBC coverage behind the red button yet? It is well worth watching and on Saturday the last three races can be seen live.
14-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Thursday Night Practice Times/results.

The second practice session of the 2009 North West 200 got off to a dry start with times coming in an average 6 seconds faster, but after the second practice race of the evening the rain made an appearance in Portrush, and soon made its way across the whole of the North West 200 course.

Mechanics were soon advising the riders of a change in tyres with the popular choice being a hard wet front tyre to cope with the changable conditions.

The weather at the North West 200 finally got the better of the racing as the Thursday practice was called off due to rain and lack of light.

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 1 - Greenline 250cc

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 2 - DeWalt Superbike

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 3 Clinton Supersport

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 4 - McKendry Fabrications 125cc

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 5 CP Hire Superstock

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 6 Blackhorse Superbike

Thursday Practice Session Times - Race 7 Ballymoney Council Supersport

The majority of grid positions for Saturday's races will be determined by Tuesday night's times, after speeds on Thursday reduced dramatically because of the conditions.

Kiwi Bruce Anstey will start the Superbike races from pole position after posting the fastest lap for the class on Tuesday at 121.63mph
(This post was last modified: 15-05-2009, 10:35 AM by Malcolm.)
14-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
Rain puts skids on final North West 200 practice

The final practice session for tomorrow’s Kennedy Group International North West 200 was abandoned last night when heavy rain left the track in a treacherous condition.

Prior to the abandonment, tricky conditions meant slower times for the competitors with only the 250cc riders bettering their Tuesday evening times as they got the best of the conditions before the rain arrived.

Relentless Suzuki TAS rider Alastair Seeley, out on his superstock machine, described the conditions as, “iffy in the University and Ballysally sections of the course,” with tyre choice for the 200bhp superbike machines a gamble.

With no-one getting near Tuesday evening times, the front row for Saturday’s showpiece superbike races sees Relentless Suzuki rider Bruce Anstey on pole ahead of John McGuinness (HM Plant Honda) and Alastair Seeley with his superstock time relegating Keith Amor to fourth ahead of Steve Plater and Aussie Cameron Donald.

Last night’s heavy rain saw times tumble with leading riders opting for precautionary laps with Guy Martin setting the fastest superbike lap of the evening at a speed of 116.934mph just ahead of Ian Hutchinson (116.828mph) and Denver Robb (116.225mph).

Race favourites Cameron Donald, Bruce Anstey, Steve Plater, Ian Lougher and John McGuinness were all outside the top fifteen, just using the session as a warm-up for the main event on Saturday.

The 250cc and 125cc practice was the only session to get dry roads last night with light rain hitting the circuit halfway through the session.

Prior to the rain dampening the circuit Broughshane-based Englishman Christian Elkin, the 2007 250cc race winner, bettered his Tuesday evening time by some six seconds to claim pole position for tomorrow’s race with a speed of 108.806mph.

Michael Dunlop will be right beside Elkin on the grid despite problems last night, with his 106.628mph lap from Tuesday good enough for second on the grid.

Denver Robb, who had not completed a lap on Tuesday evening, had better fortune last night and starts from third on the grid ahead of John McGuinness, Phil Harvey and Mark Lunney.

In the 125cc class William Dunlop was fastest last night at 100.253mph, but has to settle for second on the grid 1.2secs behind David Lemon whose speed of 100.630mph from Tuesday evening remained the fastest in the class.

Courtesy of Belfast Telegraph.
15-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

STEVE PLATER – QUALIFYING NW200

[Image: splaterlogo.gif]

Lincolnshire ace Steve Plater has qualified well for Saturday’s North West 200 road races in Northern Ireland and will start the two Supersport 600 races from a front row grid position. He will also take in the two Superbike races, including the feature race of the day; The Kennedy International North West 200 event which takes place over six laps of the ultra-fast 8.966-mile Triangle road course starting at approximately 4pm.and he will make a start from row two of the grid in fifth place.

The weather played its part in qualifying with Tuesday evening practice run in dry, sunny conditions and times set in that session determining the grid for Saturdays races. Thursday’s practice started off damp but the rain soon disrupted the evening and times were considerably slower. Eventually because of the wet conditions and fading light the final Supersport session was cancelled, leaving one or two familiar faces without a time, and giving officials the difficult task of slotting them onto the grid for the start of the race.

Tuesday wasn’t all smooth sailing for Plater as, although securing the second fastest time in the Supersport class, he had to make an unscheduled stop at Trolans Petrol Station in Portstewart during his final lap of the course. He had run out of fuel and had to borrow the cash from the course incident officer John Blair in order to fill up and continue on his way back to the paddock!!

“I missed my pit board and didn’t realise how low I was on fuel,” said the ever-smiling Woodhall Spa rider. “Luckily I was able to top up at the filling station in order to get back to the pits!”

A thumb operated rear brake has been fitted to Plater’s HM Plant Honda machines in order to help with braking and keep the front wheel down when negotiating the high speed straights.

He explained: “We are travelling at speeds in excess of 190 mile an hour at times and the front end can easily lift in those conditions. A lot of riders are doing the same and it does seem to work well for us.”

Plater holds the lap record in both the Superbike and Supersport classes at the North West 200; the course record of 124.11mph was set in 2006 when he rode in HM Plant Honda colours and secured his first NW200 class win while the Supersport record of 119.197mph was set by Plater in 2008.

The weather forecast that predicted heavy rain for Saturday has now been withdrawn and the local forecast is hopeful of a dry day on Saturday.

“I hope that is correct,” said Plater. Although the unsettled conditions are the same for everyone it is much better for both the riders and spectators if we have a nice dry day.

Roads close at 10am on Saturday with racing set to commence at 11am. All the racing will be streamed live on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nw200/

with the last three races going out live behind the red button on BBC Northern Ireland.

Race schedule

Race 1 – 250cc 4 laps – 11am;
race two – Superbike – 5 laps – 11.45am;
race three – Supersport 600 – 5 laps – 12.45pm;
race four – 125cc – 4 laps – 1.45pm;
race five – Superstock – 5 laps – 3pm;
race six – North West 200 Superbike – six laps – 4pm;
race seven – Supersport 600 – 5 laps – 5.15pm.

All times approximate.
(This post was last modified: 15-05-2009, 03:47 PM by Malcolm.)
15-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Anstey quickest in NW200 practice

NEW Zealander Brue Anstey set the pace at Tuesday's North West 200 practice session, clocking a blistering 121.63mph.

With conditions set to deteriorate at tonight's (Thursday, May 14) practice, the Kiwi rider produced a late showing in the first session, which put him top in the Superbike class.

The TAS Relentless Suzuki rider was closely followed by HM Plant Honda rider, John McGuinness 1.4 seconds behind, with Scot, Keith Amor, edging out Steve Plater, on the final lap.

Speaking after the practice session Anstey said: "I had been trying to get a fast lap in as the weather forecast is not too hot for Thursday evening, but the bike was very twitchy and I came into the pits to try to get it sorted. The boys tweaked the suspension a little and the changes worked as we set the fastest lap. I'm well pleased with that."

Anstey has nine victories to his credit at the NW200 and few would bet against him taking his tally into double figures on Saturday.

Alistair Seeley, from Carrickfergus on board the TAS Relentless Suzuki, took top spot in the Superstocks, clocking a speed of 120.10mph.

The NW200 will be Seely's second ride onboard Hector Neil's Suzuki.

The 'Wee Wizard' who tops the Metzeler Superstock 1000 British Championship will be out to take the chequered flag on Saturday and said: "Everybody was definitely going for it in practice. However, I'm quietly confident I will have a bit more to come on race day." With Seeley's Relentless team mates Cameron Donald and Bruce Anstey hot on his heels their could be a one, two and three for the Moneymore based team. Dungannon's, Ryan Farquhar also finished fourth.

In the Supersport 600, class it was Ballymoney's Michael Dunlop, who was top with 117.94mph on his Street Sweep Yamaha, 1.8secs ahead of Steve Plater, Keith Amor and Bruce Anstey.

Few could forget last year's emotionally charged 250cc race when Michael Dunlop won just days after his father Robert died from injuries sustained at Mather's Cross during the Thursday evening practice.

Michael only managed one flying lap as his Honda developed a mechanical fault although however, he still took second spot.

courtesy of UlsterNet.co.uk
15-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

The race is on at North West 200

Bike fans will be hoping for a break in the wet weather today as racers and riders prepare for competition day at the North West 200.

Competitors from around the world have been putting their bikes through their paces this week in preparation for the big day, which marks the 80th anniversary of the world-famous event. Thursday evening’s practice session was cut short by heavy rain and poor light, leaving many apprehensive that further rain forecast for this weekend could also have an impact on performance.

The issue of safety has already hit the headlines after rider John Anderton (29) came off his bike as he was exiting Station Corner in Portstewart during the final 600cc qualifying on Tuesday. He was last night still in a critical condition in the intensive care unit of Royal Victoria Hospital.

Meanwhile, organisers have launched a new tourism campaign set to encourage visitors, both local and international, to extend their visit to Northern Ireland and spend their holiday pounds.

The ‘Stay a While’ campaign features a number of specially designed routes which travellers can follow before or after North West 200 Race Day.

Sports Minister Gregory Campbell said he has experienced, as a visitor behind the scenes and as a spectator, the “hard work and determination that goes into making this event possible each year”.

“It is the magnificent achievements of all the riders, organisers and volunteers that have made the North West 200 an international success and enabled it to grow year on year to reach this milestone 80th birthday,” he said.

Since its inception in 1929 the North West 200 has grown into one of the fastest road races in the world, attracting over 150,000 visitors from home and abroad and generating over £7m for Northern Ireland’s economy.

Mr Campbell said: “Over the years my Department has demonstrated its commitment to making this event a success through the provision of funding.”

Taking place annually in May, the International North West 200 circuit runs between the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine.

The triangle circuit is one of the fastest in the world — in 2005, Michael Rutter broke the record for the fastest speed in the history of the event with 201.1mph.

Courtesy of Belfast Telegraph
16-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

250cc Race Results Delayed

The 250cc result was delayed following an incident at Juniper Chicane on the last lap when the two leading riders Christian Elkin and Michael Dunlop crashed and William Dunlop stormed through to take the chequered flag.

The original race start only lasted one lap before the red flags came out after Mark Young crashed at Mathers Cross and was taken to hospital with leg and chest injuries.

On the re-start Michael Dunlop and Elkin disputed the lead with William coming from the back row of the grid into third spot.

Passing and re-passing Dunlop led into towards Juniper on the last lap, but Elkin dived up the inside to take the lead.

However on the exit Elkin high sided off his machine leaving Dunlop nowhere to go and he also crashed out leaving William Dunlop to storm through to win his first North West 200 race pending a stewards inquiry into the final result.

Christian Elkin was taken to Coleraine hospital with a suspected broken leg when he came off his bike whilst leading the 250cc race.

Mark Young, who came off his bike in Race 1 this morning, has been transferred to the Royal Hospital in Belfast. His condition is serious but stable with leg and chest injuries.

Racing at the North West 200 finished prematurely due to the bad weather conditions. The rain and side winds has made racing hard for the drivers and caused the last 2 races to be cancelled.
16-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Race 1 - Greenline 250cc

William Dunlop recorded his first ever win at the North West 200 when he won a dramatic Greenline 250cc race. The race was red flagged on lap one when Mark Young crashed at Mathers Cross and suffered leg and chest injuries.

On the re-start Michael Dunlop and Christian Elkin set a hot pace as William Dunlop stormed through the field from his back row starting position.

Elkin and Michael slip streamed, past and re-passed each other mile after mile around the 8.966mile circuit with Michael ahead approaching Juniper Chicane on the last lap. Elkin out-braked his rival to take the lead, but on the exit to the chicane he overdid it and high sided out of the race leaving no room for Dunlop who hit the fallen Elkin and also crashed leaving the way clear for William to sweep through the confusion and win the race punching the air with delight.

Second place went Chris Palmer six seconds adrift with Phil Harvey third.

A dejected Michael said, I thought I had the race won, but Elkin made a mad move and neither of us made the finish line.” William meanwhile was delighted with his win saying, “I’m just glad to have finished a 250cc race here with nothing but bad luck in the past. This time luck was on my side although it would have been nice to have won it without those two crashing.”

Race Day Times - Race 1 - Greenline 250cc

Race 2 - DeWalt Superbike

The DeWalt superbike race was shaping up to be a real last lap battle between Steve Plater and Bruce Anstey as they were separated by just three-tenths of a second going onto the fourth and final lap, but the red flags were displayed and the race halted after John Walsh crashed at Magherabuoy Chicane sustaining a suspected broken ankle.

The result was declared from the second lap giving Plater his seventh North West 200 victory by .6sec over Anstey.
In third spot was Plater’s HM Plant team mate John McGuinness the early leader of the race with Cameron Donald les than half a second behind McGuinness in fourth and Conor Cummins fifth.

Plater said, “I could hear somebody behind me, but I didn’t now how many there were. We had some issues with the wind and I was taking it canny. It is not the way to win a race, but I’ll take it.”

Race Day Times - Race 2 - DeWalt Superbike

Race 3 - Clinton Enterprises Supersport

Lincolnshire rider Steve Plater made it two wins from two starts when he won a scintillating Clinton Enterprises supersport 600cc race reduced to four laps after the first attempt was stopped when Alastair Seeley ran into the back of Keith Amor’s slowing machine on the run out from Ballysally Roundabout towards Mathers Cross.

Both were unhurt in the crash.

On the re-start Plater soon established himself at the front with Anstey reeling him in mile by mile. Both edged clear of John McGuinness and pole setter Michael Dunlop, who nearly did not make the start of the first part of the race due to a sticking rear brake.

On the fourth and final lap Anstey had bridged the gap to Plater and actually hit the front at one stage, but Plater was not be denied his second win of the day and his eighth in total at the North West.

Dunlop got the better of McGuinness for third with the fastest lap of the race, 118.395mph.

Best newcomer in this race was German Rico Penzkofer in twelfth position.

Plater said after his victory, “I knew Bruce was closing, but it’s easier riding from behind than it is to lead. He came past me, but I managed to re-take him at Juniper.”

Dunlop thanked all those who helped him get into the race at all including Keith Amor’s brother.

Race Day Times - Race 3 - Clinton Enterprises Supersport

Race 4 - McKendry Fabrications 125cc

The McKendry Fabrication 125cc race over four laps gave William Dunlop his second victory of the day.

He raced the PJ Flynn KRP Honda into a first lap lead over Chris Palmer and gradually eased away to a comfortable seven-second win.

He said afterwards, “The wee bike was working well and all I had to do was get it round to the chequered flag. I expected a tighter race actually, but once I broke the tow I managed to pull a good gap on the rest of the boys. From not having any wins here, I’m really happy to have now made it two. This was probably the best 125cc bike I have ever rode. It was good to get a proper race win at last.”

William emulates his late father Robert the last man to do a 125/250cc double sixteen years ago.

Young Ollie Linsdell claimed the final rostrum place with a good ride some fourteen seconds ahead of Mark Lunney with Stephan Savelkouls and James Ford fifth and sixth.

Race Day Times - Race 4 - McKendry Fabrications 125cc

Race 5 - CP Hire Superstock

The CP Hire superstock race was rain interrupted as the riders went out on their fourth and final lap. The race result was taken from the end of the second lap handing victory to Alastair Seeley recording his second International victory at the North West 200 having won this same race a year ago.

The most disappointed man was Ryan Farquhar who had taken the lead at the start of the race and led at the end of lap one. Took the lead at Juniper to crucially lead across the line at the end of the lap. On the third lap rain hit the course in the University area and as Seeley backed of and Farquhar swept into the lead.

Unfortunately for the Dungannon man the rain was so heavy it required the red flag to come out and the result taken at the end of lap two.

Farquhar said, “I’m disappointed, I thought it would have kept going. I just wasn’t in the right place at the right time although I thought I had rode well enough to win. That’s racing I suppose.”

Seeley said, “Ryan is a really good rider and rode an aggressive first lap and had a good lead. Fortunately I got a good tow from Bruce Anstey (who eventually retired) and managed to catch up on Ryan. I passed him at Juniper and led across the line at what turned out to be the crucial stage the way things worked out.”

Keith Amor stood on his first North West 200 podium in third position three seconds behind Farquhar with Cameron Donald, Guy Martin and Ian Hutchinson completing the top six.

Race Day Times - Race 5 - CP Hire Superstock
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2009, 07:33 PM by Malcolm.)
16-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

STEVE PLATER’S DAILY DOUBLE IN IRELAND

[Image: platernw1win.gif]

Lincolnshire ace Steve Plater extended his record of wins and retained his two lap records at the North West 200 races in Northern Ireland when he rode to victory in the Superbike and Supersport races on Saturday, taking his total of wins to eight around the 8.966-mile Triangle Course that runs on public roads between the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine on Saturday.

But he was denied the chance to secure further wins because of the inclement weather that forced officials to cancel the feature race of the day, The North West 200 Superbike race and also the second of the two Supersport 600 races.

It was a disappointing end to the 80th anniversary of the NW200 with a series of red-flag incidents delaying proceedings from the start of the day followed by heavy showers and a strong cross wind around the course making conditions too dangerous to continue.

The DeWalt Performance Tools Superbike race was delayed for over an hour and reduced to four laps because of problems in the previous event; but once underway Plater, who started from a second row grid position, soon made up ground to take the lead at Station corner on the first lap.

But he didn’t have it all his own way as Bruce Anstey exchanged places with him on more than one occasion and he also had the attention of his HM Plant Honda teammate John McGuinness who led the field as they began the second lap.

But Plater was not to be denied and made it back to the front and began to make a break, crossing the line at the end of the lap with a lead of half a second over Anstey.

The pair battled it out over the next lap, with Plater maintaining his lead but the race was halted because of an incident and a result declared from positions on lap two, which gave the ever-smiling Lincolnshire rider his seventh career victory at the NW200.

“Its not the way you want to win a race and the first thing I want to say is that I hope the riders involved are ok. The wind is unbelievable, even on a Superbike as it’s blowing us around quite a bit. I just got my head down and tried to stay at the front from the word go,” said Plater. “I am very, very pleased for my team, HM Plant Honda and would like to say a massive thanks to Dunlop for coming back onboard and giving us the right tyres.”

The Clinton Enterprises Supersport race also fell victim to the red flag as, on the second of four laps, the rain began to fall making the track surface treacherous. At the restart Plater moved into the lead at Metropole and headed a gaggle of six riders all anxious not to let him get away from them. Plater dictated the pace at the front but Anstey took advantage of the slipstream and forged ahead on the final lap. Plater responded and immediately regained his position which he held to the chequered flag for win number eight.

“That was very pleasing and its fair play to the organisers as they did a fantastic job for stopping it when the rain came down as the conditions were getting very dangerous out there. Thanks to the guys in the garage at HM Plant Honda as they have worked hard with both the Superbike and Supersport bikes.”

With more rain and a strong side wind affecting the conditions the organisers had little option but to cancel the final two races of the day and Plater commented:

“They really didn’t have an option other than to cancel because we were running out of time before the roads were due to open and also the conditions have deteriorated. The track was dry in places but soaking wet in others and it just wasn’t safe to try and race at speed in those conditions.

“I have picked up two good results today and still have a long season ahead of me. I would sooner go home early today in the motor home than be taken off in a vehicle with blue lights flashing!”

Plater returns to domestic duties at the weekend and turns his attention to the third round of the British Supersport championship scheduled for Donington Park on Whit Monday, May 25.

Free practice and qualifying take place over Saturday and Sunday with the 18-lap Fuchs/Silkolene British Supersport race on track at 3.30pm. The British Eurosport 2 television broadcast window is 12.45pm – 5.15pm.

pic credit:- Andrea Campbell
17-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Website Find Reply