TT 09 Wheres the party?
Rich Offline

Threads: 4
TT 09 Wheres the party?
I've just come back from a weekend at the TT. Bit disappointed not to see any racing but these things happen. What has stunned me most is the lack of atmosphere.
I'll set the scene here. I last visited the TT in 99. Then I started racing and my commitments there kept me away. I've still been to the Manx (competed 4 times) and the NW200 (3 times). Also I briefly hopped over for the Senior in 03 (i think) when it was postponed and Shaun Harris blitzed the 600 proddy. So I took a load of mates this year and....

Wheres the stunt shows-organised and impromptu?
Wheres the crowds around bushys?
Wheres the rows and rows of bikes?
Wheres the strippers and wet T comps?
Wheres the fairground stuff and street stall things?

I love the TT and long it may continue but if the crowds stop going and the money stops coming with it then it could spell trouble.
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
RE: TT 09 Wheres the party?
A good point but i stopped going after 40 yrs for a number of reasons mainly the cost but the S100 is a better option or the Irish meetings Kells is mindblowing as is Skerries, in a word the TT is too commercial and all the bikes look the same and no 2 strokes is sad i could go on and on but most of the reasons have discussed been on the this site, i am not slagging the TT as i spent many happy years there both as a spectator and marshall so there you have it hope i havnt upset anyone?
Roll on Kells 2010
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
mick Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Rich,
You are absolutely 100% correct.
This is going to be one of the hottest topics discussed in the weeks and months to come.
TT 2009. What a disaster for the island economy and its future.
The racing is always 1st class and spectacular but the TT is a lot more than just the racing.
It brings a lot of tourist money to the island and those tourists bring along with them a culture and expectations.
They have been sadly let down.
As other posts mention, no fair, no street entertainment and rip off prices at the Villa Marina.
I had a discussion with two senior Police Officers on Douglas Promenade the other day regarding their policy on drinking on the promenade.
They insisted that the rules would be enforced as they need to protect the promenade for visitors with young families.
What a joke. Why would any visitors with children really want to come to the promenade. The only thing for anyone to do is consume alcohol.
That point does not lie well with the whole Road Safety message either where visiting motorcyclists who will head towards Douglas have a beer tent for their entertainment and nothing much else.
I have just been along "The Street" on a Tuesday afternoon, which during this period of TT is usually packed. Just another day.
I'm sure Hoteliers , Restaurateurs and Retailers will have a lot to say on this downturn and we will surely see quite a few closing in the months to come as their financial lifeline has been destroyed by Government.

It has been a popular topic of conversation throughout the island that after the Centenary Celebrations there would be a deliberate attempt to wind down the whole TT Event.
It has obviously already begun with some crass decisions having been made by Dept of Tourism and no doubt this "Government Probe" is just a smokescreen for further policies being implemented to completely destroy the TT.
The Government should amend their motto to " A Freedom to Flounder". Far more appropriate
As an island resident - Tax Payer and Douglas Rate payer, I am totally disillusioned and disgusted
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
For many tears we have always closed our business down during TT mainly for logistic reasons, That no longer seems to be a problem any more as the roads are empty due to lack of traveling fans. It was always a good time for our staff to take a break, having the opportunity to relax and have a good time, but now the staff are insisting that its a waste of good holiday time.
Yes the racing is first class, but the TT is not all about the races, sadly the TT coffin is closing shut.
Maybe all the first class TV bradcasts are keeping the fans awaysmilie
09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Find Reply
Rich Offline

Cheers guys. Glad I'm not the only one to notice. Most of us would like to think of the TT as the home of motorcycling. Now attendance figures are often rough at best but how does it compare to say the Bulldog Bash at around 50,000? Now theres a party atmosphere ! If people become disillusioned then it'll be hard to get them back and the Island won't stand for a few lean years. Theres fewer and fewer hotels as it is. Ultimately the TT is now promoted as a "Festival" and the promoters need to make it into one, fast.
11-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I have to say that I did think it was a bit quiet on Douglas seafront/prom......................On Mad Sunday night it was very quiet and getting a drink in Bushys was easy................no queue at all.

The area up at the grandstand was as busy as ever and out on the road seemed like normal TT time.

I wonder is the lack of crowds of an evening in Douglas due the reduced number of hotels /B&B in Douglas and folks staying elsewhere homestay etc

No doubt the Steam Racket will tell us there have been increased numbers travelling.

But certainly compared to say 10 years ago Douglas was empty.

Time to rebuild the Lido and get Linzi Drew back Yahoo
11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Kev Brown Offline

Threads: 11
I still have a pack of MCN playing cards that Linzi Drew threw into the crowd at one her shows in Douglas in the mid 80s.
I did not see them coming and they hit me smack on the nose.smilie
Not too sure where I was looking at the time Bonk
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Martin from Bushy's was on't radio earlier on too - saying the Beer Tent may be making its last appearance on't island due to lack of big screen and other entertainment.

Read what he says here: http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=36503

I have to say I agree with him (& others) and have found this year's TT to have much less atmosphere than previous ones, but then again, I've "only" been here 20 years...

Let's hope the PTB take notice and resume normal service next year.
....scone out to take photos!
11-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
I havent booked for next year for a couple of reasons but I have to say that this year has been disppointing
Its not what it was for me
Douglas seemed very flat
I will be sad to stop but the changes have made it a it easier
MV
11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
On the plus side, I went to the "classical" concert last night at the Villa and it was fantastic!
Will tell you more when I get back tonight.
In haste.
B
....scone out to take photos!
12-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
boakesey Wrote:On the plus side, I went to the "classical" concert last night at the Villa and it was fantastic!
Will tell you more when I get back tonight.
In haste.
B
In Haste, eh Boakesey.....Hope you are having a great time. I think, what you need on the Island is a few more Aussies. THEN you would really have a party. I expect that Sydneysider sidecar entrants, Darryl Rayner and Mark Patterson will certainly be in the 'tent' already. Heard they actually finished in the first sidecar race. Certainly reason for a party.
12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
I know we are not Douglas based, but we are having a super TT at the Laxey photo exhibition, bigger crowds than last year which is reflected in the green bucket takings for the MGP Helicopter Fund.
Perhaps it was because we are not Douglas based that the local papers ignored us - a hidden agenda perhaps?
Manx Radio and the official IOM Government site did us proud, thanks chaps.
Exhibition still on until Monday night, perhaps one of our politicians might make an appearance, haven't seen one yet!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
So how do we gauge if the TT is a success or not? By lap speeds, by the weather, by how many people are wandering aimlessly along the Prom, by how many gallons of grog are sold at the Bushey's tent? Or do we judge it by the sheer skill of the riders going past on the particular part of the course we are watching, or the sheer thrill of the closeness to the action and the sound, even the rush of air that hits you in the face at some points. The statisticians will tell you how many came over this year compared to blah blah blah but the TT doesn't take, it gives something to everyone who has been lucky enough to see it, and if there are more or less worn out old acts performing in the music halls and more or less exhibitionist on the front, it doesn’t detract from the TT because the TT is about the best motorcycle road racing on the best course in the world. OK it rains some years and the bikes change over the years but it is still something unique and should not be measured by the ‘atmosphere’ in Douglas. The TV coverage, which I am told is very good, may be just the advertising the Island needs so make sure you are booked in early for next year.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
Sorry Don I have to disagree with you on this one,for us diehards the racing is the thing but for the TT to survive it has to offer more than the racing.We are not talking about turning up at Donington Park for one or two days and then going home,no we have fans who could easily be here for fourteen,yes 14, days, with initially only about 3 hours of practice for the first week to watch.

I honestly feel that the whole circus is essential to keep peoples interest alive,not that I particularly like it myself,but if the Tourist Board insist on promoting TT " fortnight"then there has to be more than the bikes.

Reading the local press today the overall impression is that over the last 3 or 4 years the free element has been wound down and any entertainment will have to be paid for,ie shut down the prom do's and put on pay for shows in the Villa. OK for some but I think probably not for the majority who just want somewhere to gather for a beer a a bit of a laugh.

Mike Ball of the Tourism Dept., is quoted in the local press as saying that last years survey was split 50/50 for the funfair,simulators,bungee jumping and stunt shows to continue.So what do we get absolutely nothing.If the vote was 50/50 surely that is a pretty good indication that there is room for ALL attractions to be staged.

As stated previously this is not a 2 day event so a full range of alternative activities are essential in order to cater for the wide range of visitor requirements.
12-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
Rich Offline

The racing has been awesome Don. Absolutely staggering and a real classic. But if you get my point that without the crowds (and the money) then the TTs future could be bleak. The organisers do their best to sell the racing, but ultimately people want to have a good time too. I don't think the TT should be sold as a family event (and I am a family man) simply because there are too many better alternatives.
On another note, or should that be another thread (?) I never went in the 80s so who was Linzi Drew?
12-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
Linzi Drew is(was) a slapper who gets her kit off.
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
mick Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
All you guys may be very interested in this artice on the Isle of Man Newspapers Website with comments from Martin Brunnschweiler (Bushys Owner) and a lot of feedback from residents and visitors.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Bushy39s-...5357729.jp
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2009, 01:06 PM by mick.)
13-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
beepee Wrote:Linzi Drew is(was) a slapper who gets her kit off.

I have no time for "bimbos",they do nothing for sport and nothing for families,except they get paid for looking good for saddos.We ladies do not need guys posing without clothes,in fact they look far better in a set of race leathers! It just shows how guys are so vulnerable to bare flesh.If you are sad enough to need this stuff,then you are sad enough need more entertainment than the racing.Racers are worth far more than bimbos that haven't got a clue! Sorry,but I hate them
13-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Well said Hilary!

I agree with if soem guys want this as part of their enteryainment, fair enough
Just not as part of the TT festival
MV
13-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Rich Offline

It doesn't matter if you both dislike a bit of nudity, the fact is that many people clearly did! You can never please everyone with one thing (this years racing excepted?) but you can offer everyone something. The stuff you don't like, you don't do. Generally, most TT fans are adults. So you offer things they want. The like/don't like argument will apply to everything-stunts,wet t's,alcohol,fair etc. Putting it simply-the old formula was working wasn't it? Why try and fix what wasn't broken?
I'm concerned that the damage is done already. It can take years to pull back the crowds and in the meantime the infrastructure (hotels etc) could have (has?) diminished. The Manx police were famous for their tolerance of TT "behaviour", many seemed to enjoy it. I read a post recently on another site where someone asked the question "did you see any wheelies at the TT?" and most responses were no! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Again it doesn't matter whether you personally approve or not, it used to happen, some enjoyed it and the crowds came to watch.
Many of you (me too) mix with other bike fans. Every year, almost everyone, would go the TT. If you didn't, you needed a good excuse! Now I struggle to find anyone whose been. Why? "Its not what it used to be".
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2009, 11:25 PM by Rich.)
13-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Find Reply