The Maidstone Kid Remembered
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
The Maidstone Kid Remembered
William David Ivy
27th August 1942 ~12th July 1969

[Image: billivy1.jpg]

It is 40 years ago yesterday that the daring young man William D Ivy was taken away in a racing accident at the Sachsenring, during practice for the then East German Grand Prix.

There is controversy over what Bill was doing at the time of the incident, was he fastening his helmet when the bike seized, subsequently not being able to reach the clutch lever, and the reason for his helmet seen to be coming off as he fell ??

Whatever he was doing, it was widely reported at the time that had he not succumbed to his head injuries, his chest injuries would have claimed his life.

[Image: billivy3.jpg]
Bill on the 500cc Jawa at the Sachsenring in 1969

He was a fabulous racer, daring and "cheeky" with it, an infectious wee man who was adored by his many thousands of fans worldwide.

How can anyone forget his TT exploits, especially with Phil Read on the Yamahas.

Bill was the first man to record a 100 mph lap on a 125cc machine at the TT in 1968, doing so on his Yamaha, on the second lap with a 100.32 time. Sticking to team orders, (although Bill stuck to the story that his engine had slowed on the last lap, saying so with an impish grin), he even slowed up at The Creg on the last lap of the race, to ask who was winning, thereby allowing Phil Read to overtake him and take the race win.

The sad thing about his death is that the world of racing never really saw the best of Bill Ivy. But I hope we don't forget what we did see .....A giant of a little man. ~ Mike Hailwood

Sadly gone, never forgotten, my all time hero,

Malcolm

Photographs by Bernd Fischer
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 09:01 AM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
RE: The Maidstone Kid Remembered
I second what you say Malcolm
He was a hero of mine, too
One of the best "King of Brands" in my opinion

I also remember what Bill and Mike got up to as "playboys"
Didnt Bill write off a Ferrari on the Mountain?
There used to be a small nightclub/bar in Twickenham called the Birds Nest
Bill and Mike could often be seen there "strutting their stuff"

Happy days

Great men
MV
13-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Website Find Reply
Rennmax Offline

Threads: 4
(13-07-2009, 11:57 AM)MV Wrote: Didnt Bill write off a Ferrari on the Mountain?

At the exit of Greeba Castle, acc. to the A. Peck book.
Wondering about the 500 cc Jawa, IIRC he never raced one and he crashed on blue number plated (350 cc) with #61...anyone around who knows details ? Thanks
13-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
(13-07-2009, 12:21 PM)Rennmax Wrote:

Wondering about the 500 cc Jawa, IIRC he never raced one and he crashed on blue number plated (350 cc) with #61...anyone around who knows details ? Thanks

No it wasnt the mountain i think it was in the Greeba Area and his passenger i think was a man called Mike?
Roll on Kells 2010
13-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Find Reply
Rennmax Offline

(13-07-2009, 12:29 PM)pykey Wrote:
(13-07-2009, 12:21 PM)Rennmax Wrote:

No it wasnt the mountain i think it was in the Greeba Area

Thats what I said....Icon_confused
13-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

350cc or 500cc ?

You have me doubting that point, now that you have mentioned it. I have always thought it was a 500 for some reason.

I shall endeavour to find out more.

Malcolm.

UPDATE

Taken from an enthusiasts website.

[Image: jawa350.jpg]

Unfortunately, also the powerful and beautiful "Typ-673" four cylinders (four pics above) -always two strokes, 80 hp, 270 km/h in the last version of the 1971!- was a "killer bike": the great English rider Bill Ivy lost his life because of the same cause (the seizing of a piston, that caused the blocking of the bike).

Unfortunately, the quality of the steel used for the engine was very poor, and caused these tragic events. This was a shame, because the "Typ-673" was the highest Jawa's expression for the GP competitions, with an advanced liquid-cooled V4 engine equipped with rotating valves (technology used also by the MZ).

After these accidents, the Western drivers left the Czechoslovakian team, although the bikes were competitive and fast.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 02:04 PM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Rennmax Offline

(13-07-2009, 01:28 PM)Malcolm Wrote: 350cc or 500cc ?

You have me doubting that point, now that you have mentioned it. I have always thought it was the 500 for some reason.

I shall endeavour to find out more.

Malcolm.

Thanks for your reply Malcolm.
I'm quite sure that Bill competed in at least 1 Italian pre season and 3 GP rounds before that event at the Sachsenring on a 350 bike, but he definitely didn't crash on a bike with seemingly bright=yellow numberplates =500 cc class bike with #33. I tried to clear this issue with my fellow German countrymen (even with the photograher of the shown pic) but without avail. "No time to loose" by A. Peck isn't of any help either
Regards
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 01:49 PM by Rennmax.)
13-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Books.

Yes I have the Alan Peck book "No Time To Lose" and also this years release by Mick Walker "The Will To Win".

I prefer the Alan Peck book as it comes across as being more intimate with many comments related to Bill and his mother Nell, with whom he had avery strong bond,
and whom he used to call "Ethell", for instance.

Mick Walkers book whilst still a good read, somehow just doesn't come across as well as Alan Pecks book.

Only my opinon.

For anyone who hasn't read the Alan Peck book, I can recommend it and you can still get one of you look around.
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 02:23 PM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

An insight to the wee man, his courage and determination is most certainly the 250cc race at the TT in '68.

Phil Read was playing head games with Bill over tyre selection and at the last minute, changed his mind and insisted on a wider section tyre being fitted. This was after a lot of discussion during practice about tyres where Read had stated that the wide section tyres were no good and that the standard section tyres were far better.

This upset the wee man somewhat, however he went out with the standard section tyres on and on the first lap he put in a cracker and smashed Mike Hailwoods lap record from a standing start. He clocked a 105.51 which was unbelievable when it was later discovered that his bike was a full 7 mph slower at the top end, than his previous years bike.

At the end of the first lap, he led Read by some 14 seconds, however on the second lap, the exhaust system started to fall apart, and he ultimately slowed. On the third lap Read led by 14 seconds.

On lap 3, Bill trapped his right foot under the footrest going through Milntown, and wrenched his ankle tearing a large hole in his race boot.

Read retired on lap 4 with tyre trouble (poetic justice some say), and although the wee man was suffering terrible pain, he continued to finish the race and victory.

Although racked in pain, he made it to the winners rostrum, being carried there barefoot.

That night, Bill was found in a local hostelry, celebrating his win, "dancing with the dollies" as he would say, and when asked if his foot was ok, he replied, "Ah yes, p***y cures everything" !!!!!

That was Bill and there are many more tales of that ilk that could be told about him and his best mate Mike Hailwood.

Extracted from No Time To Lose unashamedly, without licence
13-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Website Find Reply
Rennmax Offline

(13-07-2009, 01:28 PM)Malcolm Wrote: 350cc or 500cc ?

UPDATE

Taken from an enthusiasts website.

[Image: jawa350.jpg]

Unfortunately, also the powerful and beautiful "Typ-673" four cylinders (four pics above) -always two strokes, 80 hp, 270 km/h in the last version of the 1971!- was a "killer bike": the great English rider Bill Ivy lost his life because of the same cause (the seizing of a piston, that caused the blocking of the bike).

Unfortunately, the quality of the steel used for the engine was very poor, and caused these tragic events. This was a shame, because the "Typ-673" was the highest Jawa's expression for the GP competitions, with an advanced liquid-cooled V4 engine equipped with rotating valves (technology used also by the MZ).

After these accidents, the Western drivers left the Czechoslovakian team, although the bikes were competitive and fast.

Sorry for being picky, but I would like to put one or two things right...
-the engine failure wasn't caused by a seized piston, it was either a cracked big end or crankshaft bearing (some rummaging would be needed to find a copy of the officicial FIM report of the meeting which was shown in a German mag some years ago)
- the Jawa team mates were Ivy and Stastny before the accident, no additonal western riders. After the accident, J. Findlay (2 rides resulting in 2 crashes...) and Silvio Grassetti (both western of course) took over, Silvio with some success, winning the Yugoslavian GP and finishing 2nd in Italy
- 80 HP looks a bit too much IMHO. Bill once stated that the performance was comparable to the 250 cc Yamaha, roughly 70 HP
Regards
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 03:42 PM by Rennmax.)
13-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
(13-07-2009, 02:22 PM)Malcolm Wrote: Books.

Yes I have the Alan Peck book "No Time To Lose" and also this years release by Mick Walker "The Will To Win".

I prefer the Alan Peck book as it comes across as being more intimate with many comments related to Bill and his mother Nell, with whom he had avery strong bond,
and whom he used to call "Ethell", for instance.

Mick Walkers book whilst still a good read, somehow just doesn't come across as well as Alan Pecks book.
Malcolm another great read is Team Suzuki its been re-published and the auther is Ray Battersby look on amazon Malc?
Only my opinon.

For anyone who hasn't read the Alan Peck book, I can recommend it and you can still get one of you look around.
Roll on Kells 2010
13-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Bill Ivy at the Hairpin with some star stuck fans

[Image: billivy-eric.jpg]

In this treasured photograph, there is a certain Mr. Eric Corkish somewhere.

Come on Eric, out with it, what's the story here then ?
13-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Website Find Reply
eric Offline

Threads: 13
(13-07-2009, 05:25 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
Bill Ivy at the Hairpin with some star stuck fans

[Image: billivy-eric.jpg]

In this treasured photograph, there is a certain Mr. Eric Corkish somewhere.

Come on Eric, out with it, what's the story here then ?

well the story is my brother (nearest Bill Ivy ) pushed me out of the way when the pic was taken i was about 11 my brother 12 the other guys were our mates all still around
I remember it well soon as we saw him we were on the inside of the hairpin off we went up the road towards Waterworks out of sight of the marshalls then legged it across the road
Ran up through the trees and back down on to the outside of the hairpin only problem was the copper had seen us on the inside 10 minutes earlier so we got well and truly bollacked
But it was worth it for the photo next to Bill Ivy
On a similar note dont know what year maybe someone can tell what year this is we were out just Sulby side of Glen Tramman for a morning race when Dave Simmonds riding number 1 brokedown right where we were sitting out of sight of any marshalls anyway a TM stopped and got his detail of retirement and went so we were left sitting with this star for the morning
We asked if we could have the numbers of his bike to put on our backs but he said they all went to someone in his family so we could not have them so that was ok
Towards the end of the race out came our dinner some very nice food for us 2 and i guess it was to good because we walked away with the number 1s on our backs and Dave Simmonds was no longer hungry
13-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
A few years ago paul smart took us to the chequers shopping centre in maidstone, where inside there is a memorial to bill ivy. Probably the last place you would expect to see such a tribute.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 09:57 PM by Stella.)
13-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Find Reply