1951 TT - a question for the grey-beards!
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
1951 TT - a question for the grey-beards!
Received this message today.
"I am seeking photos from the 1951 Isle of Man.
Records show that there were 3 Lambrettas entered in the Lightweight(125cc) race which I believe was combined with the Lightweight(250cc) race that year.
Romolo Ferri and M. Masserini were entered by the S.A. Innocenti factory from Italy and F.W. Fry was entered by the British Distributor of Lambretta, Continental Motor Cycles Ltd.
Apparently F.W. Fry did not reach the qualifying time and so did not start the actual race and for some reason Ferri and Masserini were also non-starters.
I am seeking photos of any of these 3 racing Lambrettas."
All three non-started but there is a suggestion that Frank Fry could not lap under the qualifying time - 40 minutes which was extended to 45 minutes. I don't have any pics from our FoTTofinder files - can any of our senior members - Hi Ian - remember a Lambretta being ridden in practice?

These are four that were sent to Germany

[Image: LambrettaRennversion19512.jpg]
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 22-07-2009, 04:53 PM by Bill Snelling.)
22-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
RE: 1951 TT - a question for the grey-beards!
Hi Bill,

Before Larry gives you the answer that you are looking for. you could always have a read of the Lambretta Bible. You can find a preview here:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aT7uf...yQS1g_W0BA

Regards,
One of the Grey-Beards
22-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(22-07-2009, 11:41 PM)John Foster Wrote: Hi Bill,

Before Larry gives you the answer that you are looking for. you could always have a read of the Lambretta Bible. You can find a preview here:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aT7uf...yQS1g_W0BA

Regards,
One of the Grey-Beards

Thanks John!!

They never turned up Bill - Italian scooter racing in the early 50's was a whole different story, which I'll write for you sometime when I dig out my 1950/51/52 copies of "Motociclismo".

Anyway, Frank Fry was there but his 125 wasn't - the suggestion that he might have failed the qualifying speed arises from sloppy writing in the "Motor Cycling" race report, which seemed to lump him in with non-qualifiers.

The latter at least all had their slow laps recorded in the English weeklies and the TT Special practice issues, but Frank never got a 125 practice mention.

Your correspondent will be disappointed . . . . . .
22-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

I had a feeling that would be the answer!
Apparently Motociclismo were building up their prospects in the weeks prior to the event.
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2009, 11:53 AM by Bill Snelling.)
23-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Website Find Reply
Marco Offline

Threads: 16
Bill and Larry. I remember that in recent year "Motociclismo d'Epoca" published a very beautiful shot that portrayed a Lambretta at Governor's Bridge. I'm not sure but the caption denied that the shot was taken from a TT race. Of course this would not be a proof that the Lambretta never lapped the TT course.
23-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

(23-07-2009, 01:30 PM)Marco Wrote: Bill and Larry. I remember that in recent year "Motociclismo d'Epoca" published a very beautiful shot that portrayed a Lambretta at Governor's Bridge. I'm not sure but the caption denied that the shot was taken from a TT race. Of course this would not be a proof that the Lambretta never lapped the TT course.
Many Lambrettas lapped the TT course during Scooter Week!
23-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(23-07-2009, 01:30 PM)Marco Wrote: Bill and Larry. I remember that in recent year "Motociclismo d'Epoca" published a very beautiful shot that portrayed a Lambretta at Governor's Bridge. I'm not sure but the caption denied that the shot was taken from a TT race. Of course this would not be a proof that the Lambretta never lapped the TT course.

Was that a Lambretta racing scooter, Marco?
23-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Find Reply
Marco Offline

Threads: 16
(23-07-2009, 05:24 PM)larryd Wrote: Was that a Lambretta racing scooter, Marco?

Hi Larry. I have not a very clear memory of the imagine of the shot but I'd say that that Lambretta scooter was not a racing one. Also I'm going to think that the shot in question was taken later than 1951.

As you know there were many races here in Italy in which Lambretta racing scooters were used during the earlt fifties, and it was really interesting to see one of them while lapping the most demandig course in the world!
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2009, 06:29 PM by Marco.)
23-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Find Reply