McGuinness & Plater Do well at Croft
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
McGuinness & Plater Do well at Croft
John McGuinness and Steve Plater - the two oldest racers in BSB !

They proved there is still plenty of life in the old dogs yet by both taking victory in the sensationally hard fought Superstock 1000 and Supersport races respectively. Steve extended his championship lead and also picked up a bottle of bubbly after being named Eurosport's Rider of the Day by commentator James Whitham.

NATIONAL SUPERSTOCK 1000 CHAMPIONSHIP
Qualifying: John McGuinness 3rd / Steve Brogan 2nd
Race (15 laps): John McGuinness 1st / Steve Brogan 4th

[Image: mcgcroft.gif]

Today's national Superstock race produced quite probably the most gripping racing action of the whole season, with Honda's Steve Brogan and John McGuinness both responsible for the sensational front runner action on their Padgett's Honda CBR1000RRs. Although the championship title was won by Seeley at the last round, the hard charging Scouser Steve was determined to give him a run for his money to not take another race win and produced an entire 15 lap race dice with Seeley as both battled for supremacy. Meanwhile, John followed in their tracks and on the last lap and everything came to a head at the final corner when the pair touched as they jostled for the win. Both riders ran wide and McGuinness shot past to secure the win - his first in circuit racing for eight years. Steve and Seeley recovered sufficiently to finish the race but Steve had to settle for a gutting fourth."

John McGuinness

"What a race. I was right behind Steve and Alistair for the whole race and just watched in amazement as things unfolded between them. Talk about not giving an inch - those two weren't giving each other even a millimetre! It's such a shame for Steve but I knew when they both ran wide I had an open door so just took it. This is my first short circuit race win in eight years and feels amazing. Honda and Padgett's have shown great faith in my over the years and I'm chuffed to be able to give them a top step of the rostrum."

Steve Brogan

"I really don't know what to say. What more could I have done! I was determined to not let Alistair win another race and the whole race was amazing - racing like that is just so exciting and uses every skill you have as a rider. We made some pretty ballsy but fair moves on eachother and although I am gutted to not have won, or even finish on the podium, I am pleased that we made such a great racing spectacle for the crowds and viewers and also that it was John who won for Honda and the Padgett's team."

BRITISH SUPERSPORT CHAMPIONSHIP
Qualifying: 9th
Race (18 laps) 1st

[Image: platercroft3.gif]

Despite starting from a third row grid position, Steve Plater rode a faultless race to power his HM Plant Honda CBR600RR Supersport machine through the field to claim a sensational win. The Woodall Spa rider maintained seventh position during the first half of the 18 lap affair but was never far away from the leading group. After a brief safety car outing, Steve began his charge through the field and within two laps had made his way to third position. Two laps later and he moved up to second and on the penultimate lap, in a classy move, he stole the lead. Although Billy McConnell made a last lap attempt to overhaul him, Steve was having none of it and held his line to the flag. This fine win over McConnell sees Steve extend his series lead from two to seven points with two races remaining and his outstanding performance earned him the Eurosport Rider of the Day Award.

Steve Plater

"I wasn't really happy even after this morning's warm up. We have had some issues and even in the race had problems in the same kind of places. We were given some advice from one or two of the other Honda teams as to what settings they were using but in the end decided to go with what we knew and not to take any big risks. I changed to a harder rear tyre because the temperature had dropped right off from yesterday so it wasn't quite so good in the first five or six laps. But I bided my time and after the pace car went in I decided it was time to rock and roll! I knew what I had to do and I watching and looking to see what everybody else was dong. They were fighting between themselves and I knew what I wanted and where I was to attack. Croft is a place where you have to plan your moves four corners beforehand so I had to keep that in my mind and put the passes in where I knew I could make them count."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2009, 10:29 AM by Malcolm.)
14-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Website Find Reply