Boddice 4-Cylinder Ariel Sidecar
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Boddice 4-Cylinder Ariel Sidecar
Can anyone supply me with details of the Boddice Sidecar outfit which ran with TWO Ariel Arrows engines coupled together.

It is mentioned in a magazine, as below, without any further information.

"This was the year C.C. Sandford Became World 125cc Champion, in the Italian colours of MV. He was to be World Champion for two more factories after 1952. Fron Purslow was to be seen emerging after his Salopian clansman Brian to ride for the famous forks developer Ernie Earles, who later produced alloy fabrications, even making a 4 cylinders sidecar 2 stroke propulsion unit for Boddice family out of two Ariel Arrow motors. "

Did it ever race ?? Was it successful ?

Have you a photo please Bill ???
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2009, 09:27 PM by ian huntly.)
18-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: Boddice 4-Cylinder Ariel Sidecar
(18-10-2009, 09:21 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Have you a photo please Bill ???
No pics, I am afraid Ian. The story was that the power output of the Double Arrow was not conducive to sidecar racing.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
18-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(18-10-2009, 09:21 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Can anyone supply me with details of the Boddice Sidecar outfit which ran with TWO Ariel Arrows engines coupled together.

It is mentioned in a magazine, as below, without any further information.

"This was the year C.C. Sandford Became World 125cc Champion, in the Italian colours of MV. He was to be World Champion for two more factories after 1952. Fron Purslow was to be seen emerging after his Salopian clansman Brian to ride for the famous forks developer Ernie Earles, who later produced alloy fabrications, even making a 4 cylinders sidecar 2 stroke propulsion unit for Boddice family out of two Ariel Arrow motors. "

Did it ever race ?? Was it successful ?

Have you a photo please Bill ???

Hi Ian,& Bill,

Do you have a copy of "The Sprayson Collection" 1955-1962. There is a photo in there on page 8 of Clive Bennett talking to Phill Irving about the Ariel 4. unfortunatly there is not a photo of the outfit.!. Perhaps Ken has more photo's. I can remember photo's of this outfit either in the "Blue un" or the "Green un". Also Geoff Jhonson who was Lucas's competition "guru" in the 60,s, and a neighbour of my parents was working on the ignition system for the Four and he had lots of problems with it, and I think this was one of the reasons for it's demise. Perhaps young Mick ( Boddice) has photo's of it.
19-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Thanks Pat, I will follow up a few leads this week.

I'm going back into hospital tomorrow for my second op, this time on my right leg. I'll have a bit of time on my hands !!

I will have my mini-laptop with me so I can keep in touch.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
19-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(19-10-2009, 05:48 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Thanks Pat, I will follow up a few leads this week.

I'm going back into hospital tomorrow for my second op, this time on my right leg. I'll have a bit of time on my hands !!

I will have my mini-laptop with me so I can keep in touch.

Ian,
Our prayers and thoughts will be with you during your surgery and stay in hospital. Re the Ariel 4, perhaps Sammy Miller may know more about the engine/outfit, he was a "key" member of the Ariel development dep't during the early 60's. Does anybody know the whereabouts of Clive Bennett, who was Ariel / BSA development engineer ?.
20-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
Hi all,
I posted on my forum asking about this machine and have today had a reply from Michael Boddice jnr, here's his reply so he should be able to furnish you with some photos soon hopefully..
------------------------------------------
The biggest problem with it was the massive frontal area, at speed the air pressure on the fairing lifted the back whell of the floor!!!

It was rear engined (like modern long bike) but the driver sat in it like a car (Markus Bosiger LCR) so as you see nothing is new!!!!

We have some pictures somewhere I'll try find them and scan them, we also have a magazine article somewhere with a bit of a technical spec I'll try sort out...
SteveEnglish
03-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Website Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
Have had a response from Keith Walters who has sent me a pdf of a scanned article.
Link to download and quick preview as jpg in here - think I've got that part of the forum open to guests at the moment.

http://www.steveenglish.com/forum/viewto...=3&t=26535
SteveEnglish
13-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Website Find Reply