Financial challenges for MGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Financial challenges for MGP
As reported on Manx Radio earlier today.

The 2010 Manx Grand Prix could be scaled back to make it affordable.

That's the worse case scenario facing the Manx Motor Cycle Club, which organises the event.

It is heavily reliant on financial help from the Isle of Man Government, which is facing a 24% reduction in income from next year after the United Kingdom changed the VAT revenue sharing agreement.

Manx Motor Cycle Club Chairman Bill Bennett says it's a major concern:

Listen to the full item HERE
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
28-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Website Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
RE: Financial challenges for MGP
(28-10-2009, 08:47 PM)Malcolm Wrote: As reported on Manx Radio earlier today.

That's the worse case scenario facing the Manx Motor Cycle Club, which organises the event.

It is heavily reliant on financial help from the Isle of Man Government, which is facing a 24% reduction in income from next year after the United Kingdom changed the VAT revenue sharing agreement.

This could turn into a major setback for the manx. We need to know how much the manx is worth to the the islands economy. I understand a survey is being done as we speak. As alot of riders know, the MGP is subsidized by the government, if the survey comes out none to favourable, then cutbacks would seem certain. The only way you can cut back is to reduce the number of races, as this cuts down on the insurance deficit. Once you start to cut the races, then the club will be expecting riders to potentialy only go with one machine, who wants to do that. The main problem now is that we don't know what is going to happen for a few months, as the budgets as along way off, which eats into bike prep time. Most riders at the manx need time to firstly save up and then time to prep the bikes. This is just another hurdle which will stop some riders from entering. Any thoughts anybody.
30-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(30-10-2009, 10:47 PM)shipleymanx Wrote:
(28-10-2009, 08:47 PM)Malcolm Wrote: As reported on Manx Radio earlier today.

This could turn into a major setback for the manx. We need to know how much the manx is worth to the the islands economy. I understand a survey is being done as we speak. As alot of riders know, the MGP is subsidized by the government, if the survey comes out none to favourable, then cutbacks would seem certain. The only way you can cut back is to reduce the number of races, as this cuts down on the insurance deficit. Once you start to cut the races, then the club will be expecting riders to potentialy only go with one machine, who wants to do that. The main problem now is that we don't know what is going to happen for a few months, as the budgets as along way off, which eats into bike prep time. Most riders at the manx need time to firstly save up and then time to prep the bikes. This is just another hurdle which will stop some riders from entering. Any thoughts anybody.

i am sure i read it somewhere that the manx is the next biggest money maker after the TT so if thats the case then the TT and manx should be ok but remember POLITICIANS are involved and we all know how cleaver they are.
31-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
They've cut it and cut it already, there is next to no practice any more, the prizegiving is an insult and the costs are going through the roof. Cut the event further and it won't be worth bothering.
24-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Website Find Reply