Motorcycle Racer Costello to Receive MBE at Buckingham Palace Next Week
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Motorcycle Racer Costello to Receive MBE at Buckingham Palace Next Week
[Image: mariaclogo.gif]

The Northampton-based racer visits the Palace on November 17th to receive her award in recognition of her many achievements as a racer and for services to motorcycling.

Costello, who held the Isle of Man TT female lap record for five years, overcame several bad injuries to re-find her form at the Manx Grand Prix this autumn, and says she is looking forward to achieving even more in the sport in 2010.

While looking for speed on the track, the former Guilsborough School student and veterinary nurse, whose achievements are recorded in the current Guinness Book of Records, was heavily involved in promoting women in sport and charity work.

She has attended many high-level functions, including joining the host Vera Baird MP, top horse woman Pippa Funnell, Olympian Georgina Harland and other female sports stars at a House of Commons reception to celebrate a brilliant summer of women's sport and to launch a new physical & health initiative.

As patron of the Women's Sports Foundation she was invited to a BBC Sport Summit, a day aimed at generating debate about the future of sport in the UK. She is also a patron for Riders for Health and a proactive supporter of the charity MENCAP.

“I'm honoured to be receiving this gong for services to motorcycling. It will be a special day and both parents and my sister are accompanying me to the Palace," said Costello, who is determined to regain the Isle of Man TT female lap record she held until this summer.

"To be recognised as a female in a male-dominated sport is a sure sign of the increased role women are playing in motorsport. I hope that by receiving such an award more women will be made aware of biking and the opportunities there are for them in this fantastic sport."

Costello, the first woman to achieve a podium finish at the Isle of Man, is looking forward to a reinvigorated 2010 racing season as an MBE and will be announcing her intentions shortly.

Maria is still in need of financial backing and is looking for sponsors who can help make the 2010 season a great success. Please call 07885 877483 or email maria@costelloracing.com

Visit http://www.costelloracing.com
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
13-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Website Find Reply