Medical Insurance
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Medical Insurance
Just been having a quick look at Medical insurance with a view to the manx. As i am a non competitor i just need ordinary cover. On looking at it, it seems as though there could be a few questions that need answering, ie Is the IOM part of the UK, if so most policies cover repatriation to the UK, will they cover cost in the back to England. If the IOM is part of the UK, then alot of the polcies only have small amounts for the medical side as they presume we are all under the NHS. Anybody else come across this yet
(27-01-2010, 01:51 PM)shipleymanx Wrote: Just been having a quick look at Medical insurance with a view to the manx. As i am a non competitor i just need ordinary cover. On looking at it, it seems as though there could be a few questions that need answering, ie Is the IOM part of the UK, if so most policies cover repatriation to the UK, will they cover cost in the back to England. If the IOM is part of the UK, then alot of the polcies only have small amounts for the medical side as they presume we are all under the NHS. Anybody else come across this yet

sorry slightly mis typed, should say if the IOM is NOT part of the UK, will they cover back to England. sorry
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2010, 02:46 PM by shipleymanx.)
27-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Medical Insurance
(27-01-2010, 01:51 PM)shipleymanx Wrote: Just been having a quick look at Medical insurance with a view to the manx. As i am a non competitor i just need ordinary cover. On looking at it, it seems as though there could be a few questions that need answering, ie Is the IOM part of the UK, if so most policies cover repatriation to the UK, will they cover cost in the back to England. If the IOM is part of the UK, then alot of the polcies only have small amounts for the medical side as they presume we are all under the NHS. Anybody else come across this yet

sorry slightly mis typed, should say if the IOM is NOT part of the UK, will they cover back to England. sorry

There was a phone in programe on Manx Radio the other day, and they had a insurance expert on. It was very interesting, I don't know if there is a recording of the programe on the Manx Radio website. His firm was offering insurance at £1 a day (you didn't have to be just living in the IOM). One guy phoned in and said he was touring Europe on a motorcycle, and would it cover him, yes it did. From memory you got £10,000 to cover hospital fees, and £30,000 for repatriation. I hope I am correct with this info, maybe someone else has the name of the company.
27-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
(27-01-2010, 11:59 PM)chris Wrote:

There was a phone in programe on Manx Radio the other day, and they had a insurance expert on. It was very interesting, I don't know if there is a recording of the programe on the Manx Radio website. His firm was offering insurance at £1 a day (you didn't have to be just living in the IOM). One guy phoned in and said he was touring Europe on a motorcycle, and would it cover him, yes it did. From memory you got £10,000 to cover hospital fees, and £30,000 for repatriation. I hope I am correct with this info, maybe someone else has the name of the company.

Thanks for that, but i see he said £10,000 for hospital fees, is this enough?, say if you were there for a while with a few opps to be done.
28-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Find Reply
ali Offline

I agree, £10,000 not very much for hospital fee's if you needed extensive treatment.
16 years ago my hubby had an accident when we were away, he was taken to hospital with a smashed femur after falling on the beach. He was xrayed & put to bed. He had no treatment just bed/ breakfast & evening meal for 5 days before we were flown home by air ambulance. Hospital bill was over £5000, and the air ambulance cost over £20,000 (thank god for travel insurance). This was 16 years ago and I am sure costs will have increased significantly
28-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Find Reply
chris Offline

(28-01-2010, 09:55 AM)ali Wrote: I agree, £10,000 not very much for hospital fee's if you needed extensive treatment.
16 years ago my hubby had an accident when we were away, he was taken to hospital with a smashed femur after falling on the beach. He was xrayed & put to bed. He had no treatment just bed/ breakfast & evening meal for 5 days before we were flown home by air ambulance. Hospital bill was over £5000, and the air ambulance cost over £20,000 (thank god for travel insurance). This was 16 years ago and I am sure costs will have increased significantly

I had a French friend (racer) who had a spill, he fractured his leg, and spent 1(one) Night in Nobles, I think the bill was £700, needless to say he got home as quick as he could. Luckily he did have insurance.
28-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Find Reply
bobandtracey Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
We have 'normal' travel insurance which covers us worldwide, however, not sure how we would go on if Bob was injured during practice or race? Confused
04-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi All..!!

I guess I have been lucky.... but since all the chatter I found something that may interest you... Easy Jet https://www.easyjet4insurance.com/mawl/i...?restart=1 They offer (up to) £15M for medical, £5K for trip cancellation, and £2K for possessions. Looks like under £40.00 will cover me for all "Europe" - for up to 45 days...

Cheers..!!

Ron - Long live the MGP..!!!
15-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
(15-02-2010, 10:13 PM)Gstarron Wrote: Hi All..!!

I guess I have been lucky.... but since all the chatter I found something that may interest you... Easy Jet https://www.easyjet4insurance.com/mawl/i...?restart=1 They offer (up to) £15M for medical, £5K for trip cancellation, and £2K for possessions. Looks like under £40.00 will cover me for all "Europe" - for up to 45 days...

Cheers..!!

Ron - Long live the MGP..!!!

Although that policy summary says you would be covered for motorcycling as long as you're wearing a helmet I really, really suggest you read the small print (which it seems you only get to see once you've bought it - though you can cancel). I'd be very surprised if it covered competitive motorcycling.

In my case "competitive" being a figure of speech of course, haha Wink
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Website Find Reply