MGP veteran's worries over fares
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MGP veteran's worries over fares
A TT and Manx Grand Prix veteran of 49 years says he has serious doubts about coming to the MGP for his golden anniversary this year, because of the cost of making the trip.

Bob Peck is a pensioner, and believes having to pay £525 up front, ten months in advance, for himself and his van, is too much.

Read the full report on the Manx Radio website - HERE
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Website Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
RE: MGP veteran's worries over fares
(09-04-2010, 10:51 AM)Malcolm Wrote: A TT and Manx Grand Prix veteran of 49 years says he has serious doubts about coming to the MGP for his golden anniversary this year, because of the cost of making the trip.

Bob Peck is a pensioner, and believes having to pay £525 up front, ten months in advance, for himself and his van, is too much.

Read the full report on the Manx Radio website - HERE
This is one major problem that is not being addressed. It's great that they are trying to secure the future by making it a festival, but unless they help the people who put on the show, then it will not make a difference. The whole cost of getting to the manx, ie course licence meetings, ferry, entry fees etc is making alot think twice about going. We have a lad who rides for us so we don't even get the 10% riders allowance off the ferry. I get the feeling they are trying to make it a bit more like the TT, with alot more stuff going on around the paddock area, but they have to remember we pay to get there, where as the TT lads get help.
09-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Any help in getting to the IOM would be awesome..!! FYI, last year (because I was late in getting the racer ready) I had to fly the bike to England. Now sit back, as it cost me about 4,000 Quid to get it to Manchester and back... then of course the Ferry Boat. I had a good pal delivery me, the racer, and my spares to the Ferry terminal, finally got help with the spares and luggage, then fired up the racer and rode it on then off the ferry... It was SCAREY, but I made it...

Yes, (to me) the MGP was worth all that....! I am still eating a lot of beans and Mac N Cheese to pay for last year's trip....

Can't wait until August..! See you all there..!!!!!!!

So yes ANY financial help would be awesome..!!
Cheers..!

Ron - Long live the MGP..!!
09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
(09-04-2010, 11:44 AM)shipleymanx Wrote: We have a lad who rides for us so we don't even get the 10% riders allowance off the ferry.

Now that the Steam Racket no longer do their £20 deposit-advance booking scheme and insist on full payment up front as soon as the booking is made (last November as I recall dates were released) is there still a 10% riders discount at all?? £639 is a lot of money to find out of my own pocket (plus £600 entries, course licence costs, 2 weeks living costs, fuel and tyres) with no start or prize money. A little back off the ferry would be nice!

And they wonder why rider numbers are falling.
20-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Website Find Reply