Sulby Glen Hotel forecourt a prohibited zone?
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Sulby Glen Hotel forecourt a prohibited zone?
This is a very sad day for those of us who have based large parts of the TT around this famous old watering hole
MV
19-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Website Find Reply
ROSIE Offline

Threads: 65
RE: Sulby Glen Hotel forecourt a prohibited zone?
Do you mean me or the Pub ?

On a serious note, at present it is not a prohibited area, but that is not to say that is the way things are heading.

TTFMAG want to put up crash barriers. where they want them, what sort of barriers they want. leave them there as long as they want, and put them up when they want.

We have no objections to the barriers, provided they go on the orginal agreed line. They are only there for the practice and race periods, or if they wish to leave them there till after the Manx they are in keeping with the Hotel, and they ask us when they can come and do this work. It is our home as well as our work.

The answer is NO GO.

It is our way or we will force you to do it, and by the way we are going to involve old playmates and say you don't own the land you purchased, even though this was all sorted two years ago.

They wait 11 months and then say it is all because of a complaint from one rider, but won't give any evidence of this ????????

Would you protect your land ?

Would you protect your work ?

It's very hard for us, we have as a family supported Motor Racing on the Island for over 100 years, and we have done everything within our power to compromise with Government but they have very heavy hands.

I hope that puts the record straight,

Eddie and I are here to support racing riders and spectators alike.

I just hope you are all behind us.
Biker Friendly Pub.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2010, 08:15 PM by Malcolm.)
19-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
As someone who has, over the years gotten to know Rosie, Eddie and their family quite well, and knows first hand the amount of time and effort that they all put into the Racing scene on the Isle of Man, this really is a gigantic smack in the face for them.

This action smells of petty bureaucracy at it's worst, and the reported actions to be undertaken, are all so typical of that akin to the "Big Brother" style of behaviour by officialdom, that has sadly become the norm in the UK.

Compromise and common sense apparently no longer appear to be options and a "You will do as I say/We will do what we want anyway" attitude appears to predominate.

I don't know what can be done to support Rosie and her family in this matter, however if anyone has any sensible suggestions that could be promoted via the electronic media, then perhaps this could be utilised in order to be of some assistance to them.

Malcolm (Personal opinion).

A touch of humour

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The woman below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude.

"You must be a local resident," said the balloonist.

"I am," replied the woman, "how did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. But frankly, you've not been much help so far at all."

The woman below responded, "You must be a Health & Safety Representative for (place appropriate organisation)."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
19-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Just read this string and feel a bit concerned that soon we will be watching the TT from a distance. i haven't read what they intend doing but while I am at the TT I recommend Sulby and the Sulby Glen Hotel as places to appreciate speed.

Could someone please show me what is the plan for the barrier and where will it be sited ??

I, for one, will be at Rosies for at least a drink and a meal while I am over.....and watch a race from her forecourt.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
21-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ian, there is quite an extensive thread on this matter on another Forum, which will enlighten you as to the goings on regarding this matter.

It appears that common sense does prevail and a compromise of sorts has been reached.

View alternate thread HERE
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
22-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Thanks Malcolm

I have read the string elsewhere and feel that a "What If" situation applies.

Certainly, when I have been there, I can feel the draught as a bike goes past and two years ago I was videoing and one spectator had his cap removed from his head by the draught. The cap did not fly into the next riders path but one can see the risk as speeds approach warp.

I hope for Rosies sake that people rationalise this situation and think hard about what they are doing. In ski jumping are the crowds pushed further and further back "in case" ?

Sulby Glen Hotel will stay on my "Magificent Seven" list with the Grandstand, Cronk y Voddee, Ballaugh, Bungalow, Keppel Gate, and Creg ny Baa as places where spectators can see the best and most varied vantage spots of the racing. I recommend the TT Virgins to see these while they are over. All good places for the 3D filmers to visit !!

However, it is a point to notice what has been done at the Creg, with all the catch fencing, the barriers, the bouncy castle protection etc.

I have recently found photos of Keppel, the Creg and Hillberry from 1960 in my collection and spectators were in places that are now closed completely. There were hundreds of people at the roadside from 33rd, through Clarks and to Keppel Gate !!

Will the TT end up like a Nascar circuit with 10 feet high fencing all round the circuit ? The way things are going...................

See you Rosie !! I'll be there !!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
22-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
(22-05-2010, 12:39 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Will the TT end up like a Nascar circuit with 10 feet high fencing all round the circuit ? The way things are going...................

.... I keep having nightmares in which no-one is allowed to watch the race "live" - (only marshals), but we all have to stay indoors watching it on tv - in 3d, though.

Seriously, common sense should prevail.
....scone out to take photos!
31-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

What is the latest news on the situation.....Will 2011 see a change of access ?
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Website Find Reply