Leg's out.
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Leg's out.
Hi Guy's,

I know i'v asked this question before but have not had a plausible answer.

Why does Rossi and others take their foot of the footrest and stick their legs out prior to entering a corner. Does anybody know ?.
23-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Leg's out.
In theory they are preparing for a possible step off, thus avoiding trapping the leg between ground and machine. They know they are near to the limit.......

The old story of the air brake similar to flaps on an areoplane can also be considered. They are presenting a low level brake triangulation into the air stream which assists stability into a corner, Just sitting up raises the centre of gravity.

Finally, doing this leg out may be to relieve a wedgy caused by the acceleration and braking at high speed. (B***s Out !)

Otherwise it is just an affectation..............

Professor TT Fannenbergenstein
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2010, 02:26 PM by ian huntly.)
25-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Website Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
My theory is that Rossi was just having a leg stretch one day, was asked about it, gave a silly reply and lo and behold the sheep follow! Can't claim to have raced but have ridden for 40+ years and the last thing I feel like doing approaching a corner is shaking my legs about. It's the emperor's new clothes I fear and won't be seen once the fad has passed. Wouldn't expect to see any of the fast men doing on the approach to Budore!!
25-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(25-05-2010, 10:56 AM)ian huntly Wrote: In theory they are preparing for a possible step off, thus avoiding trapping the leg between ground and machine. They know they are near to the limit.......

The old story of the air brake similar to flaps on an areoplane can also be considered. They are presenting a low level brake triangulation into the air stream which assists stability into a corner, Just sitting up raises the centre of gravity.

Finally, doing this leg out may be to relieve a wedgy caused by the acceleration and braking at high speed. (B***s Out !)

Ian, next week I will really have to buy you a drink, and then we can really talk about low level brake triangulation, air streams, stability,centre of gravity, acceleration and braking. Anyway, I think that your therory would really impress Steve Parrish & Charlie Cox, maybe even Charlie Williams !. See you in the beer tent.
25-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I really loved Physics at school and continued with it into my college years so I always look on the TT as many exercises in this subject.

The angles of lean, the adhesions of tyres, the alcohol levels/specific gravity ratios in Manx Beer and the arc described by a falling chequered flag can all be analysed and made into graphs and pie charts. ( I prefer apple and pecan meself)

Did you know that 4 queenies plus 6 beers plus 2 jack daniels equals one nightmare plus one head-in-loo !! It's as true as the nose on my face !!!

So by now you must understand the "low level trailing leg triangulation air brake braking system" theory. It is so easy to formulate. I will bring my diagrams and calculations ! I may even add a section to my website !!

So I will indeed meet you for a beer Pat !! SEE YOU SOON !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2010, 10:28 PM by ian huntly.)
25-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(25-05-2010, 09:03 PM)pat slinn Wrote:
(25-05-2010, 10:56 AM)ian huntly Wrote: In theory they are preparing for a possible step off, thus avoiding trapping the leg between ground and machine. They know they are near to the limit.......

Ian, next week I will really have to buy you a drink, and then we can really talk about low level brake triangulation, air streams, stability,centre of gravity, acceleration and braking. Anyway, I think that your therory would really impress Steve Parrish & Charlie Cox, maybe even Charlie Williams !. See you in the beer tent.

However.......perhaps his "unter garments" are to tight !!
26-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Find Reply
John Winthrope Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hi Pat,
Joined this site just after seeing you at Donny, and what a joy it was to catch up after all the years.
Hope you are feeling better, and now I have a means to contact you will keep in touch.
Regarding the ugly leg out I blieve it is as the other guy posted, a means of air brake, but personnally don't think this can make much difference.
Oh for the days of neat riding like "THE MASTER" Mr Michael Stanley Bailey Hailwood.
Keep in touch, best regards John@Crossbow Calendars

29-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(29-08-2013, 07:12 PM)John Winthrope Wrote: Hi Pat,
Joined this site just after seeing you at Donny, and what a joy it was to catch up after all the years.
Hope you are feeling better, and now I have a means to contact you will keep in touch.
Regarding the ugly leg out I blieve it is as the other guy posted, a means of air brake, but personnally don't think this can make much difference.
Oh for the days of neat riding like "THE MASTER" Mr Michael Stanley Bailey Hailwood.
Keep in touch, best regards John@Crossbow Calendars
John, I have sent you a personal massage.

29-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Find Reply