LOWES BATTLES TO CADWELL PODIUM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
LOWES BATTLES TO CADWELL PODIUM
[Image: gnsracinglogo.gif]

GNS Racing's Sam Lowes fought valiantly at Cadwell Park today to finish in a close third place in round four of the Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship. The 19-year-old from Lincoln had been battling a stomach bug all weekend but dug deep at his home round to claim 16 hard-earned points and hold on to second place in the Championship table.

Having qualified in a strong fourth place at his local track, Lowes made a good start to slot into fifth place into the first corner but was up to fourth at the completion of the first lap. Lowes then found himself in a ferocious three-way dice with Graeme Gowland and Ian Hutchinson for the final podium position, the trio never more than a few tenths of a second apart.

On the fifth lap, Sam overhauled Hutchinson at Park Corner to move up to third and once there he continued to pull away over the next few laps to secure the position. Although the pace setting Yamahas of Billy McConnell and James Westmoreland were seemingly too far ahead to catch, Lowes never stopped trying and, having left the pack firmly behind him, he consistently lapped over half a second a lap quicker than Westmoreland to close to within 0.126s of his Championship rival at the chequered flag.

Indeed, the final lap almost saw Sam take second as he and Westmoreland touched at the hairpin as he tried to overhaul him. The 20 points for Westmoreland means he now has a four point lead over Lowes in the title race as the series now takes a five-week break.

Team-mate Paul Jordan qualified in 23rd place on the second GNS Honda, the fifth highest placed Cup competitor but couldn't make a real impact in the race and finished in 24th place. This was enough for the Ulsterman from Magherafelt to be the 8th Cup competitor home.

Sam Lowes:

"It was my own fault at the start as I simply wasn't aggressive enough but I got stuck in and was lapping at a good pace all the way until the end so all the fitness work I've been doing has clearly paid off. I tried to have a go at James at the hairpin on the last lap but he had the line covered and although it was close, it was good, clean racing and I just couldn't find a way through. It was a tough weekend what with being unwell at the beginning but I felt good today and I'm really pleased for all of the team that we're on the podium again and still fighting it out at the top of the Championship table. I'd like to say a big thanks to the team, my sponsors and all the fans, we were ONIT! We'll be back at Mallory and look to be on the pace again there too."

Paul Jordan:

"I'm very disappointed with my result today. I made a good start but then got stuck in a rut, I got by several riders but then developed arm pump with six laps to go and couldn't hold my position. It's a very physical circuit and I found it tough out there. I had been chipping away at my times all weekend and I would like to say a huge well done to all the guys at GNS Racing who are putting in so much effort, I'm just disappointed for them as well as myself."

Gary Stubbington:

"I'm delighted for Sam, he has shown yet again his determination to succeed, and despite being ill throughout the opening day, came back strongly in qualifying and once more proved he is a class act, by finishing on the podium, narrowly missing out on second place. Sam is now proving his ability week in week out, and now realises that remaining consistent will bring him big rewards come the end of the season. We have a new technician on board this weekend too, and the team is working very hard to give both riders the best opportunity to succeed. Paul has had a difficult weekend, and developed arm pump during the race to come home in a disappointing 24th position, he knows he needs to improve, so he will be looking to make amends next time."

Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship result (16 laps)

1 Billy McConnell (Yamaha) 24m15.161s
2 James Westmoreland (Yamaha) +5.5252
3 Sam Lowes (GNS Racing Honda) +5.651s
4 Graeme Gowland (Honda) +9.816s
5 Ian Hutchinson (Honda) +10.100s
6 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha) +10.201s
7 Glen Richards (Honda) +16.343s
8 Allan Jon Venter (Triumph) +20.807s
9 Joe Dickinson (Honda) +21.039s
10 Jason O'Halloran (Triumph) +21.212s
24 Paul Jordan (GNS Racing Honda) +59.584s

Cup result

1 Patrick McDougall (Yamaha)
2 Max Hunt (Yamaha)
3 Mark Cringle (Triumph)
8 Paul Jordan (GNS Racing Honda)

Championship standings (after 4 rounds)

1 Westmoreland 65pts
2 Lowes (GNS Racing Honda) 61
3 McConnell 54
4 Gowland 44
5 Kennedy 42
6 Hutchinson 29

Cup standings after (after 4 rounds)

1 Kneen 58
2 Cringle 56
3 McDougall 56
7 Jordan (GNS Racing Honda) 44
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Website Find Reply