Top six all round at Cadwell for Cummins
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Top six all round at Cadwell for Cummins
[Image: blackhorsekawasaki.gif]

Conor Cummins got back into Championship contention at Cadwell Park on Sunday when he finished in 6th place in round 4 of the Metzeler National 1000cc Superstock Championship. The Team Blackhorse Kawasaki rider overcame a tough first qualifying session to steadily increase his pace over the course of the weekend and he was rewarded with a fighting sixth place in the 15-lap race to move into fifth place in the title race.

Slight problems with the handling in Fridays opening qualifying session saw Conor down in an unfamiliar 15th place but only 1.2 seconds off the pole position time so, with a few changes to the set-up of the bike, he was confident of moving up the grid during Saturdays second and final qualifying session. Sure enough, the changes to the geometry worked and he was able to shave over a second off his time, jumping up to 8th on the grid, which was good enough for a third row start on the 3x3 grid.

With extremely warm temperatures on Sunday, it was going to be a tough race for the 36-strong field but a good start by Conor saw him move up to sixth straightaway and when the safety car came out on the sixth lap he was up to fifth and more than handily placed. Two laps later, the car pulled in and for the second half of the race Conor was embroiled in a fine seven-rider battle for fourth place, a position he briefly held having overhauled Luke Quigley before the Suzuki rider fought back. With the leading three riders clear, fourth place was still anyones but Quigley manfully resisted all challenges Conor made and in the run in to the line he slipped back to fifth as Glen Richards just sneaked by. Nevertheless, after crashing out of the last round at Oulton, it was good to be back in the top six and the ten Championship points picked up by Conor see him well placed in fifth overall.

[Image: conormallory.jpg]

Talking later, the 23-year old said: "I am really happy to be back in the top six again and it has been nice to move back up to fifth in the Championship table. With the TT so close, its important to stay out of trouble but you have also still got to give 100% so it is a bit of a fine line but we put together a strong race and were rewarded with a good result. We had a few handling issues on Friday but all the team and the guys from Maxton got their heads together and we made a few changes to the bike to try and make it steer a bit better and it was a lot better on Saturday. In the race, I got a good start and the bike was flying but, try as I might, I just couldnt find a way past Luke. He was stronger than me in places but I was faster in others and if I could have got by I think I could have pulled clear but fair play to him he rode a good race. It would have been nice to have held onto fifth but Glen was more confident than me through the Gooseneck although I am still chuffed to be back in the top six. I am really looking forward to the TT now and cant wait for it to begin"

The next round of the Superstock series takes place at Silverstone alongside the MotoGP, over the weekend of June 19-20, but prior to that Conor will be back on the roads with the McAdoo Kawasaki team at Isle of Man TT races, his main event of the year. First practice takes place on Saturday 29 May.

David Pearce - Metzeler National 600cc Superstock Championship

Another weekend of progress for the young Manxman. Following an impressive qualifying performance, where he consistently went quickest through the Sector One speed trap in both qualifying sessions to qualify in 20th position in Group A, David then lined up for the shoot-out race which determines the remaining ten positions for the feature race itself. Displaying great determination from 13th position on the grid, and despite a fading front brake, David fought his way through to ninth, again leading the way through the first speed trap.

On to the main race itself and from 35th position on the grid David came through at the end of the first lap in 29th and on the next lap he gained another three places which he maintained for the next three laps and he was within striking distance of a top twenty finish when, unfortunately the brake problem he experienced in the shoot-out race re-surfaced, and he was forced to retire with six laps to go whilst in 24th position.

However a strong performance from David who lapped quicker with every outing on the Blackhorse Kawasaki ZX-6 which he loves riding. And, as in previous rounds, he was again impressive in the speed timings, posting first and second best times through both sector speed traps.

Afterwards David commented;

"Overall, Cadwell was a mixture of disappointment and positivity. I was really disappointed to retire from the feature race as I was riding well and making great progress. However. I was really pleased both with my own form and the speed of my bike. I was quickest through the Sector One speed trap in both qualifying sessions and the warm-up and only for being held up a bit in the race, I could possibly have been top there as well as the fastest speed recorded through the sector in the race was slower than the speeds I was achieving throughout the weekend.
I'm really enjoying riding for the team, the whole set-up is relaxed and it feels just nice to be able to chill out and enjoy my racing with no pressure from the team. They really know what they are doing with the bike."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2010, 11:38 AM by Malcolm.)
26-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Website Find Reply