Operation for Rossi after Mugello crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Operation for Rossi after Mugello crash
[Image: motogplogo.gif]

The Fiat Yamaha will miss the Gran Premio d’Italia TIM after suffering a displaced and exposed fracture of his right tibia in a crash in practice. He will have an operation this afternoon (Saturday).

For the first time in his career Valentino Rossi will not participate in his home GP at Mugello. A highside crash in the second practice session on Saturday morning at the Gran Premio d’Italia TIM has led to the Italian’s withdrawal from Sunday’s race, with the full period of time of his recovery yet to be determined.

The defending World Champion fell at Turn 13, the top of the fast chicane, as his M1 highsided and threw him from the bike. Rossi was stretchered from the track and taken directly to the medical centre, where he underwent X-rays which confirmed a displaced and exposed fracture of his right tibia.

[Image: rossicrash1.jpg]

Doctor Macchiagodena of the Clinica Mobile told motogp.com:

“It’s an injury more serious than we thought, because it’s an exposed fracture with the bone protruding from the skin. We have reduced the fracture, which fortunately has not affected any blood vessels or nerves.”

“It is serious, it could be a couple of months, but it is too early to say just yet. He remained calm, but having seen the images he could already see it was a nasty fall.”

Rossi was then flown by helicopter to the Careggi Hospital in Florence for a further medical examination, and was moved to the orthopaedic trauma centre afterwards, which is close to the hospital. He will have an operation this afternoon (Saturday).
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Website Find Reply