Ballagarey
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Ballagarey
Whats wrong with Ballagarey ? It has claimed some big names and almost
claimed Guy Martin !!!

I remember it was here the following riders lost their lives. (http://www.gyrovision.com/qtf.php?panoid...0&collid=1)

> Colin Gable 1997
> Kenny Blake 1981
> Phil Hogg 1989
> Mike Casey 1998
> Ian Veitch 1968

Is it because of the traffic lights stopping traffic which drops oil
while stationary ? Any light rain would make the road there lethal for TT
racing.

I have posted this with good and sensible intentions and hope it
might attract some good and sensible comments.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2010, 01:13 PM by ian huntly.)
13-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Ballagarey
Well...it can't be the traffic lights because they weren't always there! Or were they? maybe I just have a really bad memory nowadays?

If I remember correctly, Phil Hogg's accident was due to the bike seizing - not an awful lot you can do to stop that sort of accident happening once it starts.

I have always assumed it's simply because it's a very fast, scary corner. No great intelligent theory from me, I'm afraid.
13-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
to me i have watched many tt's there its awsome but like all road circuits has to be respected.
Roll on Kells 2010
14-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
I agree with Jo, Phil's bike did seize - classic 2-stroke problem shutting off at the end of a long straight at sea level. And I do remember the traffic lights have only been there for the last 5-10 years.

Aside from that it's a very fast bend with a blind entry. It doesn't take much to get it wrong and of course there are no second chances. To put it in perspective it was an easy bend on my old classic but in the past doing it first on a TZ350 and later on a CBR600 you are approaching its limits. On a superbike it would be critical to gauge the speed and entry spot on and the TT boys won't want to leave much margin because there is another long straight after it demanding a high exit speed.

As for the lights now, I suppose it is possible there is some residual oil/diesel there, but I'd only expect that to be a problem if it was damp.
14-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Speaking to some people today, it would appear that the kerb on the way in catches people out. It's fairly common to catch foot rests on the kerb.
14-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Find Reply