Parade laps - what's your opinion?
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Parade laps - what's your opinion?
Personally, I hate them!

But that's largely due to the scrutineering nightmare they are!

Seriously though, I want to see bikes and/or riders synonymous with the TT - not actors on road bikes (although he was very funny and pleasant at scrutineering, this is not a personal attack!) or people I've never even heard of.

I'm not that fussed about seeing MotoGP stars either, but I can see the appeal for others. I'm not really into short circuit racing so I didn't even recognise Loris Capirossi and had to ask who the short guy was.

I do like to see the likes of Taveri on bikes that are before my time. And of course it is always a pleasure to see Nick Jefferies back on the TT course! Trevor Nation and the Norton is another one that is great to see. And the sound/smell of two strokes is always appreciated!!

But I would also have liked to have seen some more stars of TT past - I know Brian Reid, Charlie Williams, John Weedon, Eddie Roberts were all at the TT, that's the kind of person I'd like to see.

With 100 years of the TT being celebrated next year, I'm sure there will be more parade laps. Who or what would you like to see? Or not see?
13-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Parade laps - what's your opinion?
(13-06-2010, 10:17 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: Personally, I hate them!

But that's largely due to the scrutineering nightmare they are!

Seriously though, I want to see bikes and/or riders synonymous with the TT - not actors on road bikes (although he was very funny and pleasant at scrutineering, this is not a personal attack!) or people I've never even heard of.

I'm not that fussed about seeing MotoGP stars either, but I can see the appeal for others. I'm not really into short circuit racing so I didn't even recognise Loris Capirossi and had to ask who the short guy was.

I do like to see the likes of Tavera on bikes that are before my time. And of course it is always a pleasure to see Nick Jefferies back on the TT course! Trevor Nation and the Norton is another one that is great to see. And the sound/smell of two strokes is always appreciated!!

But I would also have liked to have seen some more stars of TT past - I know Brian Reid, Charlie Williams, John Weedon, Eddie Roberts were all at the TT, that's the kind of person I'd like to see.

With 100 years of the TT being celebrated next year, I'm sure there will be more parade laps. Who or what would you like to see? Or not see?

Maybe only superstars and comedians { not necessarily in that order } that have never competed on the TT course are daft enough to pay an entry fee.
14-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I cannot see the relevance of having MotoGP stars ride round the TT Course on a lap. To some it is an insult to the riders who race the mountain circuit. To others its like having Sir Cyclist Hoy playing in the World Cup. Different disciplines entirely.

I know they all race on two wheels but surely we would appreciate a slow lap by previous TT winners on their machines rather than this show-off dash by these MotoGP riders who we don't really see as they flash by. We couldn't see them on the grid because of all the hangers-on blocking everyones view. And the post lap comments.....Oh Gawd !!

The Parade lap is no longer representative of days gone by..It's "Devil take the hindmost...just blat round...to heck with the spectators"

I realise the costs involved bringing the machinery over are prohibitive but perhaps the TT Budget could be re-routed to get us back to the original concept.

The TT has a wonderful heritage...we must NOT forget it !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2010, 09:09 AM by ian huntly.)
14-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
What would be great is a hall full of TT-pedigree bikes that we can browse at our leisure, not just see for a few fleeting seconds.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
14-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Oh Bill, look what happened to Murrays Museum....................Can the IOM support such a venture with all the costs involved, the insurances, the pay role for officials in charge ??

The TT and Manx total two weeks, that's when the fans come, so I still believe a properly organised parade lap of relevant riders and machinery is in order at both TT AND Manx.

Other option is to have an indoor display somewhere accessible where we can see them properly and take pickies during the TT period.

We asked one chap about his parade lap, He said "I've never ridden in the TT, neither has this bike been in the TT but we came all the same".

All power to his elbow but is that what it is all about ?

How much does it really cost to bring these MotoGP stars over ??

I'd rather see Danny-John Jules (who, incidentally, I met in the area behind the grandstand).................He loves the TT !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
14-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Glad it's not just me who would like to see former TT bikes and riders only!
Glad it's not just me who would like to see former TT bikes and riders only!
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2010, 11:51 AM by Jo Rowe.)
14-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
my view is it was good a few years ago but as i dont bother with the TT anymore is seems strange to bring over moto gp riders what does it prove?
Roll on Kells 2010
14-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(14-06-2010, 07:17 PM)pykey Wrote: my view is it was good a few years ago but as i dont bother with the TT anymore is seems strange to bring over moto gp riders what does it prove?

I believe that the entry fee for the parade lap this year was £200, with the amount of bikes in the" lap" somebody made a bob or two. It would be nice to think that some of that money was donated to the TTRA, was it ?.

I s'pose that one of the snags with TT bikes, and ex riders is that not many still own their bikes, one guy that I spoke to told me that his bike was a long ago TT machine, and if he as non TT competitor was stopped from riding it he would not take it to the TT to parade it in the "lap". I also believe that there were machines taking part that had never been to the IOM, perhaps riders as well.. If it raises money for a good cause,(TTRA), I could put up with it, if only for the wonderful sounds some of them make. If it is to subsidise the likes of Motogp stares coming to the TT.......NO. By the way did Suzuki pick up the tab for Caparossi's visit as part of their 50th anniversary celebrations, or did it come out of the TT budget ?. I really do think things like that should be made public, have they ?.
14-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

I wouldn't mind an owner of a TT bike riding it - otherwise we'd never see these machines.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing previous TT riders on road bikes.

Obviously, the best (and only, in my opinion)way to run a parade lap is to see ex TT riders on ex TT bikes. But I'm quite happy for either the bike OR rider to have a TT connection.

And I certainly don't consider being an MCN reporter as having a TT connection.

I agree also that, it would be nice to see where the money for MotoGP riders comes from. I'm sure seeing MotoGP stars makes lots of the spectators happy, they just dont do anything for me personally.
14-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(14-06-2010, 08:23 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: I wouldn't mind an owner of a TT bike riding it - otherwise we'd never see these machines.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing previous TT riders on road bikes.

Obviously, the best (and only, in my opinion)way to run a parade lap is to see ex TT riders on ex TT bikes. But I'm quite happy for either the bike OR rider to have a TT connection.

And I certainly don't consider being an MCN reporter as having a TT connection.

I agree also that, it would be nice to see where the money for MotoGP riders comes from. I'm sure seeing MotoGP stars makes lots of the spectators happy, they just dont do anything for me personally.

I assume the appearence of MotoGP riders gets the TT (and IOM PLC) a lot of 'free' publicity in the M/Cycle press.
14-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Personally I would rather see some of the older famous ex TT riders do a circuit of the track in open top cars at a speed where spectators could see them, acknowledge them and they in turn could get a great thrill out of understanding just how special their achievements were. Yes, it would take considerable time to do one lap but I'm sure it could be squeezed into the programme. However, you could not charge them an entry fee.
15-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

That's an interesting view. I wonder what the ex TT riders would think. Would they like that or prefer to ride bikes?

I think it's a good idea. I'm in a privileged position in that I get to see and talk to the riders anyway, at scrutineering. I really enjoy seeing the "old" faces (she says, typing that as diplomatically as she can, not wanting to infer anyone is old now!) and chatting to them, especially ones I remember racing like Nick and Trevor Nation.

It does seem that no-one is entirely in favour with the current layout of parade laps though
15-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
If there is an owner of a TT bike that would like to see it paraded, I am sure there would be many like me who would love the chance to do it for them!
It does seem a little strange that vastly experienced racers have to qualify for some sort of magic TT licence to race, but any fart with £200 can toddle or tear round on unconnected machinery?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
23-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

I'm sure the riders in the parade aren't the only ones who ride on closed roads who don't have a mountain course licence, but that's a whole other topic!
23-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
Having been involved in a number of parades over the years my personal preference is to have a small number of famous riders and their machines going round.This enables everyone to know exactly who and what they are watching without hordes of old farts cluttering up the track who think they are still 21years old and can have one last chance to prove how fast or otherwise they are/were.

As for Moto GP bikes and or riders I really enjoyed seeing Cam on the Suzuki and to a lesser degree Lorenzo & Caparossi doing a lap.As previously stated anyone or anything which can bring the TT to a wider audience must be a good thing.

Imagine Jorge at Silverstone telling all his mates what a challenging place the IOM is,I bet a few will want to see for themselves.

Someone once said any publicity is good publicity,I agree.
23-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Lots of great comments to agree with.. one of the few things done right here in the states.. is that for about 2 hours in the pits, they have a few tables with some of the past great racers and have posters with their pictures one them to sell... then the racers autograph them... the proceeds of selling the posters usually go to a support fund...

It is a LOT of fun to hear some of the old greats joke back and forth while signing away... plus some of the fans recount a certain memory of some race they got to see their hero race... Now back in 2004, there was a nice dinner put on for the 50th anniversary of the 1954 BSA assault on Daytona... all but two of the top 10 racers were there (those two had past away)... It was such an great evening..!! Each racer got handed a microphone.. stories were told... lots of laughter... a few tears... One of the top racers, I think it was Kenny Eggers stated this event was a bigger apprectiation for them, than when he actually won Daytona... And one guy also stated that this was likely to be the last time all these guys would be toghether again.... sadly that has become truth....

But what a great time..!! There were a few hundred at that dinner, and included in the cost of the dinner ticker, us 300 or so paid a few dollars more than the meal, to cover the STARS meals, and a few adult beverages... a fun time was had by all..

I imagine there would be a lot more than a few hundred people willing to get 30 seconds with some past TT racers... and yes I would pay just to see them all together in one spot..!!
Cheers..!
Ron - Long live the TT and MGP..!!
24-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Find Reply