High hopes for Silverstone and beyond for Kev Coghlan
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
High hopes for Silverstone and beyond for Kev Coghlan
[Image: motogplogo.gif]

[Image: moto2.gif]

The Scot will compete in this weekend’s AirAsia British Grand Prix as a Moto2 wildcard for the Monlau Joey Darcey team, and is looking to use the experience in preparation for a full time switch to the World Championship.

The British presence in the Moto2 race at the AirAsia British Grand Prix will be doubled at Silverstone this weekend with the participation of wildcard Kev Coghlan. The 21 year-old Scot, who currently competes in the 600cc category of the CEV Buckler (Spanish National Championship), will compete under the Monlau Joey Darcey banner on board an FTR prototype at the fifth round of the 2010 World Championship.

Coghlan rides the British-made bike in the CEV Buckler and took victory in the second round at Albacete almost six weeks ago. Whilst he knows the step up to the World Championship level will be unforgiving this weekend, he is optimistic for a number of reasons.

[Image: coghlan1.jpg]

“We’ve been working very closely with the FTR guys and of course it will be different racing on the Dunlop tyres, but I’m confident we can have a good race,” Coghlan told motogp.com. “It’s a new track for everyone so it will be interesting to see what we can do.”

“The aim is to finish in the points and I’d be happy with that,” he continued. “We’re running at the front of the Spanish Championship at the moment, and I want to test myself against the World Championship riders. Having said that I know that these guys in the World Championship don’t hang about!”

The aim for Coghlan is to prove his undoubted potential this weekend with a view to then securing backing for another wildcard ride at Aragón in Round 13. Beyond that the Scot wants to push for a full-time ride in the World Championship next season.

“Depending on how Silverstone goes and also on sponsors we’d like to run again at Aragón, and by then we’ll have raced there in the Spanish Championship so that could be another positive,” he said.

“The aim is to be in the World Championship next year if possible. We’ve seen this season that the races are very open. Working with the Monlau guys, Emilio Alzamora has some good contacts in the World Championship. I have a good team with the Joey Darcey crew now as well and I’d love to do it with them.”

The focus for the moment however remains his home GP, and Coghlan hopes to be able to put on a show for the strong support he will enjoy at Silverstone.

“It will be great to race in front of a home crowd, and also for some of the sponsors to be able to come along and watch it. I’ll also have a big clan coming down from Scotland!” he concluded.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
16-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Website Find Reply