Silver Dream Racer - Where is it ?
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Silver Dream Racer - Where is it ?
Has anyone any idea who has the actual bike that was featured in this movie, shown in Douglas cinemas during the TT ?

I know the engine was a Harton/Barton/Sparton but has anyone any information about this machine ?

Or was it burnt at the end of the filming.

I read in the paper recently that Bruce the big model shark from Jaws has been found on a dump.

So where is the Silver Dream Racer ???????? or its fairing even ???
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
20-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Nitor2 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 4
RE: Silver Dream Racer - Where is it ?
'Twas a 500cc 4 cylinder Sparton Ian, and I think Barry Hart built and owned the bike at the time, hiring it out for the filming. I met a chap at Mallory Festival a couple of years back who mentioned that the bike was supposed to be at the event, but I never saw it.
Is Barry Hart still around? If so he might still have it, or know of it's whereabouts.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2010, 12:52 PM by Nitor2.)
25-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

SEE

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2007/05/b...racer.html

Oh - click on the video section, put your volume up on FULL and revel in what us oldies used to love to hear !!!!

Then wait until it finishes then try ALL the small thumbnails at the bottom, you can play the theme tune.

Now this is one film they could re-make but have a sensible ending !!!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2010, 04:17 PM by ian huntly.)
25-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Website Find Reply
Kev Brown Offline

Threads: 11
I was at Donington when they filmed part of it.I have tried to see myself on screen,but no luck.

The last time I saw the bike it was on the ferry to the TT and it must have been 1981.
Talking to the guy who was with the bike he said it was going over as part of a show.
25-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Hi Kev, we were at Donington as well, on the last corner before the finishing straight. We saw this big car with the boot lid down and a cameraman lying on his tum, filming a bunch of guys trying to look as though they were going fast.

When they eventually ran the sequence in the finished film it was run about 3x the original speed.

I was there with Dougie Randall (ex-TT Rider, 7th in 1980, fastest privateer through the Highlander 147 mph) who actually went on to appear in one sequence (at Silverstone) wearing Keith Manning leathers I think.....he stands out quite well on the grid with all the other mixed capacity machines in the "World Championship" !

I have just been reading about the two endings...I didn't know they have a version where he crosses the line and the film ends.....I have the original VHS version which has had a good bashing in my player except for the final bit which is unused since I stop it when he crosses the line.

I might now invest in the newer DVD.......................A much more sensible ending rather than having a bike almost empty of fuel, after a race, going up in a fireball !!

The Barton/Harton/Sparton engine went on to win a TT, in the outfit of Nigel Rollason I believe...Will anyone vouch for this ??
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2010, 04:50 PM by ian huntly.)
25-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Barton Phoenix outfit. Nigel Rollason, only person to have won on the TT course on both two and three wheels, I do believe.
25-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
(25-06-2010, 08:14 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: Barton Phoenix outfit. Nigel Rollason, only person to have won on the TT course on both two and three wheels, I do believe.
Apart from Freddie Dixon!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
25-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Yes Bill he is. I spoke with him during the TT, Nigel was a fellow apprentice with me at BSA, he was telling me that he now throws money into a hole in the water, a yacht. He recently competed in and won a yacht race around the Island, and broke the record for the quickest time. Do we have another TT winner 2 and 3 wheels, and a IOM yachting champion ?.
25-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Oh yeah, good point Bill. Oops! I've forgotten most of what I used to know!
25-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
klassikracer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hi Ian,
I just saw your request about the SDR. Yes I can answer:
the Silver Dream Racer is part of my collection of racing motorcycles.
I am always looking for new toys. So if you have a race bike, parts, memorabilies etc. for me, please let me know. Also Barton or Sparton stuff wanted :-).

Best Regards

Wolfhart
13-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Find Reply
klassikracer Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Ian,

I am showing the Silver Dream Racer on march 10th at the premiere of the movie ISuperbiker. David Essex will come as well.

Regards

Wolfhart

(13-02-2011, 04:31 PM)klassikracer Wrote: Hi Ian,
I just saw your request about the SDR. Yes I can answer:
the Silver Dream Racer is part of my collection of racing motorcycles.
I am always looking for new toys. So if you have a race bike, parts, memorabilies etc. for me, please let me know. Also Barton or Sparton stuff wanted :-).

Best Regards

Wolfhart
27-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Hi Wolfhart

Can you believe that March 10th is my wifes birthday and I have wifely plans that day, all day, so I will miss seeing my dream machine in the flesh.. I hope you might send me a couple of photos,,,I would have liked to have seen you, the bike and David.

Where is the Premier being held and will we get a chance to see it in the near future ????

Cheeers IAN
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Website Find Reply
klassikracer Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Ian,

please tell your wife my best wishes for her birthday on the 10th!
The movie premier is held in London.
You can visit the website of ISuperbiker for more info.

Regards

Wolfhart

(27-02-2011, 05:04 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Hi Wolfhart

Can you believe that March 10th is my wifes birthday and I have wifely plans that day, all day, so I will miss seeing my dream machine in the flesh.. I hope you might send me a couple of photos,,,I would have liked to have seen you, the bike and David.

Where is the Premier being held and will we get a chance to see it in the near future ????

Cheeers IAN
27-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Find Reply