Perspective ?
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Perspective ?
In the Sunday Times yesterday there was a very big article about the mountain known as K2 and the story centered on the deaths which have occurred over a few years, one expedition losing eleven members in one go.

I have always supported the TT through thick and thin yet still cannot qualify the fact that we lose riders each year.

However, this article in the Sunday Times puts things into a sort of perspective showing that people do things, knowing the risk involved but STILL DO THEM ! And will continue doing them.

I hope some of you read the article, especially the ones who feel the TT should be banned, if not I assume it will be on line....Sunday Times.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
26-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Perspective ?
(26-07-2010, 12:37 PM)ian huntly Wrote: In the Sunday Times yesterday there was a very big article about the mountain known as K2 and the story centered on the deaths which have occurred over a few years, one expedition losing eleven members in one go.

I have always supported the TT through thick and thin yet still cannot qualify the fact that we lose riders each year.

However, this article in the Sunday Times puts things into a sort of perspective showing that people do things, knowing the risk involved but STILL DO THEM ! And will continue doing them.

I hope some of you read the article, especially the ones who feel the TT should be banned, if not I assume it will be on line....Sunday Times.

I think that you and I are the only people to read this web site Ian.

Yes a good article, and in perspective.
26-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Hi Pat, Hi Ian.
Well you're not correct Pat, but I don't think there are many!!
In response to the Sunday Times article: Whenever I was arguing FOR the TT in respect of the danger, I was never able to use comparisons such as rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing, boxing, etc etc. The facts are the TT IS dangerous, and for me maybe that's one of the attractions. I don't think much could be done to make it a great deal safer,but if I was starting out as a youngster, the Isle of Man would still be my ultimate destination, both to watch, and to ride.
26-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
I think there are more people that read this than you think.. however, the TT ended weeks ago, and still about a month for the MGP... so I suspect many just lurk..

I have just a few days worth of work.. then ship the racer out..!!! For me, all too soon the Manx will be here... and there is NO other place on earth I would rather be..!!!

Cheers..!!!

Ron - Long live the TT and MGP..!!
27-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I have just been to "another" TT Website and feel quite concerned, seeing how many of the old regulars from this site have defected.

I'm truly saddened because I have always found this site to be the friendly, sensible forum and will remain a member.

I wish there was a way of recruiting more people to this site and bringing back those who no longer contribute.

How can we do this ???

I seem to be one the people starting off the majority of strings. The TT is in June but there is enough to keep us involved the rest of the year.

Come on, keep this forum going !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Well, Pat, this thread has had 110 viewings as I write this, so it isn't just the two of you reading it!!

Ian, I don't know what can be done to bring this website back to how it used to be.

Back to the subject matter, of course it is a dangerous sport, but no-one is forced into doing it! The danger is surely part of the attraction. The way I justify it is to look at the sheer amount of miles completed in one fortnight. When you compare mileage to deaths, it's actually quite safe! Not to mention ambulances, doctors, airmed all on hand.
27-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
I should of added.. that according to the "expert" doctors, now that I am (geeesh) over 50, the most dangerous thing I can do, is get up in the morning..!! When us "mature" people get up out of bed, it puts a strain on the heart... this is known as the "magic hour" when most heart attacks occur... So, racing is far safer than getting out of bed..!! Nothing is 100% safe...

Now getting back on topic, I am very pleased to see the safety improvements over the last handful of years.. such as air fences.... plus the stellar work of the Marshals... oh yes and the Scrutineers... ahem... Big Grin

Cheers..!!

Ron
27-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
I come on here to read regularly but don't post much, but if I could explain.
The forum has a load of stuff at the top called 'important threads'. Most to me are not. I do enjoy reading, but the layout is not conducive to finding new stuff fast. Get rid of them, sort out the categories and sections etc., if any posts are important put them at the top of a relevant section as 'sticky' so they stay there a while but not too long. Regular visitors will know to scroll down, newcomers will think the place has died.

I'm not having a dig, I know how forums work and it is an instant switch off for visitors for the 'important thread' to be 8 days old. The threads on here are getting quite a lot of views so there is still interest.

Apologies for being off topic as well Wink but the topic swayed away from the original post so I'll allow myself one post.

Cheers ! Steve E
SteveEnglish
27-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Ha ha, I've just had a 'phone call from one of my foster kids. He said that I always taught him if you need to justify something, then it probably isn't the right thing to do!!

So, I guess we shouldn't be trying to "justify" our sport and I guess it also proves that there ARE lots of people reading the threads, even if they're not posting!
28-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Find Reply
Equipe Ajax Offline

Threads: 1
(27-07-2010, 09:45 AM)ian huntly Wrote: I have just been to "another" TT Website and feel quite concerned, seeing how many of the old regulars from this site have defected.

I'm truly saddened because I have always found this site to be the friendly, sensible forum and will remain a member.

I wish there was a way of recruiting more people to this site and bringing back those who no longer contribute.

How can we do this ???

I seem to be one the people starting off the majority of strings. The TT is in June but there is enough to keep us involved the rest of the year.

Come on, keep this forum going !
Dear Ian...Great to see you again this year looking so chipper. I can assure you that us guys at http://www.equipeajax.co.uk still look upon you as an excellent ( if not the best ) elder statesman. keep up the good fight old friend. Barry and Sheila.
28-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Find Reply
Martin Silver Bullet Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(28-07-2010, 12:37 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: Ha ha, I've just had a 'phone call from one of my foster kids. He said that I always taught him if you need to justify something, then it probably isn't the right thing to do!!

So, I guess we shouldn't be trying to "justify" our sport and I guess it also proves that there ARE lots of people reading the threads, even if they're not posting!

Quite right. If anyone criticises our noble sport, ask them what their interest is. If it's knitting or crochet, you can express your horror about them posessing lethal weapons like knitting needles or crochet hooks, ask them if they need a licence, and then ask them to knit you a TT/MGP scarf or crochet a helmet bag.Icon_lol
29-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30
oh god, don't mention knitting; early members of this forum will know what i mean Exclamation
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Find Reply