TT Website Forum
Spam and TTwebsite - Printable Version

+- TT Website Forum (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Isle of Man TT Website (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TT Related Posts (Only) (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Spam and TTwebsite (/showthread.php?tid=3101)

Spam and TTwebsite - Anonymous - 11-10-2004

Unfortunately because of the amount of SPAM that has been generated recently, through someone collecting the email addresses displayed on this page, all email addresses will be suspended for a while until it is deemed safe to relist them in a way that will evade "collection".

Those of you who have had an email address previously and who wish to have an email address again, can contact me and I will generate a list of new addresses for uploading in the near future.

Sorry about this folks, but there is just no other solution for me at the moment.

Malcolm.

Re: Spam and TTwebsite - Anonymous - 11-10-2004

I had 371 spams on sunday------All wanting me to test laptops, cameras and ipods !

It is getting absolutely stupid now.

Ian, one week away in Spain and I returned to over 4,000 in one mailbox alone and that is with filtering and a firewall in use. Just becoming too much now and really feel that something has to be done to stop these people generating this totally unwanted rubbish.

Fortunately, while I have been to Dubrovnik for two weeks, I have been able to "purge" my e-mail in-box on a daily basis. Had I not, I would have had a very full box (is that decent).

By the way:-
Crash helmets are not compulsory in Croatia and I blenched at the sight of lads, and lasses, on big capacity bikes wif no hats !

I run firewall and I try to trim in-coming e-mails using blocking criteriae but they still get through in bulk.

Wouldn't mind a few free laptops though !

I just erase the offers, has anyone tried one yet ??

Not me, I don't even bother to read them. I give them the Big X then empty the Deleted box every day.

Tis the reason I don't advertise my email address on open web sites, its a shame a few ruin it for the majority Sad

Oh if using OE Express as the mail client, you can set up rules (takes a little time to get going) that say if x = y then move to delete

I do exactly the same thing, Chris. I tried a spam filter but did not find it successful as there's a chance you may miss something actually meant for you. I usually get about 40 a day and they all seem to come from the US.

Re: Spam and TTwebsite - Anonymous - 12-10-2004

40 a day? i'd be so lucky. when yahoo started to charge for pop access to their accounts, i signed up for another freemail provider with pop access. it was great for about a year, and it has gradually build up to 150 emails a day.