Dunlop on top as he nets treble triumph
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Dunlop on top as he nets treble triumph
[Image: mickydonmcadoo1.jpg]

Michael Dunlop was in magnificent form at Saturday’s Armoy Road Races, where he raced to a majestic treble on his McAdoo Racing machines.

And he put the icing on the cake when he set a new outright lap record of 105.893mph for the three-mile circuit despite having two slipped discs in his back.

Heavy rain threatened to wash away the event, but by the time the River Ridge Recycling Race of Legends feature event came to the line the roads were dry for the eight-lap race, minus William Dunlop who opted out of the final race of the day as he was still in discomfort from his Skerries spill a few weeks ago.

Ryan Farquhar led for the opening two laps before Michael Dunlop forged ahead on lap three although he was unable to shake off the KMR Kawasaki rider until the final lap when he set the new lap record to win by over four seconds.

Earlier Michael had won a red-flagged Supersport race held in wet conditions, the 23-year-old taking his Ard Na Mara Suzuki into the lead on the fourth lap from Farquhar with brother William a close third.

Farquhar signalled to officials that he felt it was unsafe to continue in the conditions and the race was stopped on lap five, with the result declared on the four completed laps.

The Open Superbike race held shortly after a torrential rain shower saw Farquhar, William Dunlop and a host of other runners take to their Supersport machines, but Michael, John Burrows and the Tyco Suzuki by TAS pair of Martin and Conor Cummins elected to ride their Superbikes.

It was the Superbikes that triumphed with Michael Dunlop despite being forced straight on at the chicane by Guy Martin on lap three who emerged victorious four seconds clear of his rival with Farquhar third.

Michael said: “Armoy is just up the road from me and it was great to win the three races. Ryan and Guy were up for it all right, but I wanted it even more.

“In the Open race Guy got down the inside of me into the chicane and I had no option, but to go straight on.

“I didn’t realise I had broken the lap record in the big race and was surprised I had went that fast.”

Farquhar was victorious in the Moto 450 and Supertwin races; his young protégée Jamie Hamilton setting a new lap record for the Supertwin class before slipping off uninjured whilst in second position.

Local rider Sam Wilson was victorious in the 125GP class while William Dunlop comfortably won the 250GP race.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

By Roy Harris
31-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply