MIGHTY MICHAEL IS POTENT FORCE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MIGHTY MICHAEL IS POTENT FORCE
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

An adrenaline-charged air of expectancy hangs over the fearsome Dundrod circuit this morning, where Michael Dunlop takes centre stage at the Ulster Grand Prix.

Dunlop’s Superbike victory at the Dundrod 150 meeting on Thursday only served to further strengthen his standing as the hot pre-race favourite for the big international shootout today.

He arrived at Dundrod overflowing with confidence in his ability following an incredible run of success that included five wins from five starts at the Southern 100 last month.

And on Thursday, the 23-year-old justified the hype as he smashed Conor Cummins’ 2009 lap record for the Dundrod meeting, lapping at 133.375mph to leave closest rival and Tyco Suzuki rider Guy Martin reeling.

Martin starts from pole in today’s Superbike races at the 90th anniversary meeting, sponsored by McKinstry Skip Hire, but all eyes are on Ulster powerhouse Dunlop, who lines-up next to the Lincolnshire ace on the front row.

On Thursday’s evidence, a new world record 134mph lap looks a certainty today, and Dunlop feels that’s what it will take to secure Superbike glory.

“We’ve made a few changes to the big bike and hopefully we’ll see where we’re at with it on Saturday,” he told News Letter Sport yesterday.

“We’ve done a few things to make it handle a bit better and we’ve tried to squeeze a wee bit more power out of it.

“I did a 133mph lap on Thursday but that won’t win the race on Saturday – you’ll need to be doing 134mph or even 135mph.

“I won’t be too comfortable and I’ll just keep my head down and keep battering away.”

Dunlop was a commanding figure during qualifying for the Superstock race and seized pole with a 132mph lap, fractionally outside Ian Hutchinson’s 2010 lap record.

[Image: mdunlopugp2012one.jpg]
Michael during the Dundrod 150 on Thursday - PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

He justifies strong favouritism for the Superbike and Superstock events, but his bid to equal Phillip McCallen’s record of five wins in a day may ironically be thwarted from within his own family.

Elder brother William has been flying on Wilson Craig’s 600cc Honda and Michael admits the former UGP Supersport race winner could take some stopping.

“You’re against it with the speed of William’s Supersport bike.

“It’s not so bad on the big bike because you can work with it, but William’s bike is so fast it’s unreal,”
he said.

“I’ll have a go at him and I know my riding is good enough, it’s just down to the power difference.

“We’ll have to wait and see and Saturday could be a different day. Some people could ride well and others might not.”

Michael continues to struggle physically after sustaining two slipped discs in his back while working on his bikes last month.

He aggravated the injury during practice on Wednesday and admits he is ‘in agony’.

“My back is really sore today and when you’re on the bike you’re really taking a beating.

“I’m in agony but we’ll keep going and I’m hoping we can hang in there.”

Dunlop’s victory on Thursday was his first in the premier class at Dundrod and today he has a golden chance to claim his first win in the blue riband Superbike category at one of road racing’s big three international majors.

A host of formidable opponents are out to stop him, including Tyco pair Cummins and Martin.

Padgetts Honda duo Bruce Anstey and Gary Johnson and Craig Honda man William.

But that won’t faze Dunlop, who can write one of the biggest chapters in his stellar career at Dundrod this afternoon.

Roads close this morning at 9.30am sharp for the six-race schedule.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Website Find Reply