JOHNSTON WELL UP FOR NORTH WEST 200 CHALLENGE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
JOHNSTON WELL UP FOR NORTH WEST 200 CHALLENGE
[Image: eastcoastracinghdr.jpg]

Fermanagh’s Lee Johnston is often regarded as the joker in the pack, but the hat-trick hero and man of the meeting at last year’s Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix, is quietly confident that he can conjure up something similar at this year’s Vauxhall International North West 200.

Poking some friendly fun at North West 200 rival and 15-time winner at the event, Alastair Seeley, the Maguiresbridge man said: 

“Maybe I can take over as the new four-foot dwarf winning all the races at the North West this year!

Then on a slightly more serious note he added:

“I’m genuinely as excited as I’ve ever been coming into the North West 200. With the win last year in the Superstock class and the wins at the Ulster Grand Prix in August, I’m a bit more confident coming into this year’s event; that’s what winning does for you, but I understand how difficult it will be and I’ve no intention of being complacent.”

Now based in the market town of Beverley, East Yorkshire, the East Coast Racing pilot made a flying visit home earlier this week for the launch of this year’s Vauxhall International North West 200 ‘Meet the Riders’ event, at the Titanic Building in Belfast.

The usual banter and craic was had by all, and despite it being a great opportunity for Lee to again promote his F13K Cancer charity, which to date has raised in excess of £15,000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care – he was keen to talk bikes.

Munching on a Northern Ireland delicacy as we chatted – a Tayto cheese and onion sandwich – Lee filled us in on his pre-season schedule and that all-important build up to May 10/12/14 at the North West 200.

“We’ve been in Spain testing and plan to do the British Superbike tests this week and possibly the Spring Cup at Scarborough, but if I’m honest I don’t enjoy testing. It’s not exactly enjoyable doing 80 laps around Cartagena, but I understand the importance,” he quipped.

“My idea of fun is Tuesday night practice at the North West 200 getting that first taste of doing almost 200mph, flat out on the run to Coleraine,”
which raised a trademark cheeky smile.

Looking ahead to the North West, I asked Lee how his preparation changes for the 2016 event, coming in as one of the favourites for honours in all classes. His response was what we have come to expect from the Fermanagh man: totally unambiguous.

“It doesn’t change anything for me if I’m honest,” he said. “I’m the same rider on pretty much the same bikes; the track hasn’t changed, unless they’ve cut a bit out of it and haven’t told me, and it will be the same boys to beat. There will be six, eight, maybe ten of us vying to win in all races.”

Summing up he said: 

“As I’ve said before, if we go and win five then great, and if not we can come away knowing we’ve given it our best shot. Four or five years ago if you’d signed Alastair Seeley you were guaranteed to win at the North West; Alastair will be the first to admit that has now changed with the level of competition.”

[Image: leejohnstonheadshot.jpg]
05-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Website Find Reply