Tommy Clucas - a 'true sporting hero'
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tommy Clucas - a 'true sporting hero'
Another article in the Manx Independent today focuses on a column written by TT commentator Charlie Lambert for the Chester City Football Club match programme, entitled "Death of a hero redefines 'sporting tragedy'". Lambert states that, although he loves football and has commentated on it for many years, the difference between the attitude of footballers (and the football media) and their motorcycling road-racing counterparts could not be more vivid.

He states "A couple of weeks ago I met a chirpy, confident sportsman named Tommy Clucas. A few days after that meeting, Tommy was dead, his body too badly smashed up to respond to the efforts of expert medics to save him. I'm sorry if that is a shocking way to start my column this week but that is the everyday truth of sports where the players really do 'put their bodies on the line'. I love football to bits, but there are times when I get totally fed up with the self-important posturing of some of the people involved at the top end of the game. This past fortnight has been one of those times. And I didn't have to look far to regain a sense of proportion."

Referring to the England football team's refusal to speak to the press after they were criticised after the recent match against Austria, Lambert continues "Tommy's death was a massive story on the island but didn't get a mention anywhere else. Instead, the British national press devoted page after page to debating the 'vow of silence' by the England football team. I can't believe that God intended trees to be pulped to give currency to this kind of meaningless waffle."

He then refers to the so-called 'tragedy' of England goalkeeper David James' mistake in that match, and says "I doubt if (James) has ever heard of Tommy Clucas, but if he had he'd probably be the first to agree that nothing 'tragic' happened to England in Austria and no 'disaster' overtook anyone. A tragedy is what happens when a young man loses his life in pursuit of his sporting dream. Tommy Clucas was a true hero and his passing a genuine tragedy."
07-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Tommy Clucas - a 'true sporting hero'
LOL Maybe that is because Footballers at the top end of the game are a bunch of Wan*ers with over inflated ego's and overinflated bank balances.

Anyone who races a motorcycle puts their life and most if not all their cash into it and rarely see a yearly salary that could match a weekly salary of a top footballer, and for what kicking a bag of wind round a field?

Anyone racing a motorcycle no matter wether at the top or at club level is a star, and anyone who comes to race on the Isle of Man is a Legend in my opinion.

Tommy was one of those Legends with his skill and determination to reach the top, but it was his openness, honesty and aproachability as well as the skill of cutting through the bulls*it that makes him so missed by all who knew and loved him.

Footballers at the top?....You can keep 'em!

07-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The great irony, is, of course, that Tommy was great footballer too, and played for the Island.
After his accident, as I waited to open one of the side streets at the bottom Bray Hill, filled with foreboding and fear for Tommy, I was approached by a spectator, who asked if he was all right. "He's a great guy", he said"I play for a local football team, and he used to play against us for Peel. That's the main reason I watched this race, cos he is such a great guy.I wanted to see him win."
08-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now,that is how a sport should be,Helen,looking out for each other.Unfortunately,in the world of professional football,over inflated egos, girl pulling power,obscene wages, is all they are interested in.No time for that,I'm afraid.Good to think that Tommy had real friends
08-10-2004, 10:01 PM