Crash survivor Stephen McKeever pays tribute to MCUI medics who saved his life
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Crash survivor Stephen McKeever pays tribute to MCUI medics who saved his life
[Image: StephenMcKeever1.jpg]
Lisburn road racer Stephen McKeever (centre) with paramedic Caroline Bowles and Dr Fred McSorley, both members of the MCUI medical team

Lisburn road racer Stephen McKeever has paid tribute to the MCUI medics who saved his life following a serious crash at last year’s Tandragee 100.

The 23-year-old suffered a catalogue of injuries in the accident, which occurred during practice for the Senior Support race in May 2012.

He crashed his 600cc Yamaha at Cooley Hill on the approach to Joey’s Dip, with the force of the impact ripping his helmet from his head.

Stephen was left in a critical condition after suffering a punctured lung, broken vertebrae in his neck and back, broken ribs, a broken leg and extensive head injuries.

After spending seven weeks in the Royal Victoria Hospital and a period of rehabilitation at Musgrave, Stephen was discharged from hospital in time to be at his partner Jenna’s bedside for the birth of their daughter, Olivia, last July.

Speaking at the launch of the MCUI’s new Vauxhall-sponsored Vivaro rapid response vehicles, Stephen paid tribute to the professionalism of the medical team at Tandragee and said he was in no doubt the level of care he received seconds after his accident saved his life.

“I remember nothing from the crash but doctors at the Royal told me I owe my life and the full recovery I’ve made since to the quick response team and essential treatment I received, which included having a tube inserted into a collapsed lung,” he said.

“I’m extremely grateful to the whole team of doctors and paramedics who provided immediate and life-saving medical assistance and made sure I was transferred quickly to the RVH within an hour of the accident.”

Following his crash, Stephen was attended to within 40 seconds by a travelling doctor prior to the arrival of the rapid response team.

He was treated at the scene for 20 minutes before he was rushed to intensive care at the RVH.

“Undoubtedly the efforts of MCUI medics on the ground and the RVH hospital team saved my life and has enabled me to make a full recovery,” added McKeever, who is now enjoying life as a new dad.

“It was fantastic to be out of hospital and be able to support Jenna when Olivia was born. This time I was in hospital for all the right reasons!

“Now eight months old Olivia is settled and in a routine but is growing up fast.”

Now back at work full time, the worst of the accident is clearly behind him, although Stephen’s battered body is supported by a number of internal rods and screws and he still requires hospital check-ups every six months.

“I know how lucky I am to be able to do everything that I could prior to the accident as well as work full time and manage all my new parental duties,” he added.

“And all that is in no small measure due to work of the Motorcycle Union of Ireland medical team.”

The MCUI medical team has taken delivery of two new rapid response vehicles for 2013 provided by Vauxhall, which were presented at Wilsons of Rathkenny.

The launch event was attended by Stephen plus Health Minister Edwin Poots MLA, MCUI medics Dr Fred McSorley and Caroline Bowles, MCUI (UC) Chairman Jack Agnew, Gordon Hannen (Regional Operations Manager Vauxhall Scotland and Northern Ireland) and Vauxhall’s Darren Wilson.

The full MCUI medical team comprises seven doctors and four paramedics who all work on a voluntary basis.

Minister Poots said: “Getting skilled medical assistance to people in life-threatening situations as soon as possible can be crucial to their survival and even more so in the context of road racing where injuries can be very serious and traumatic indeed.

“I applaud the volunteer doctors and paramedics who freely give their time to support this important MCUI initiative and wish them every success with their work in future,”
he added.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
22-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Website Find Reply