TT07....Own worst enemy?
Reginald Molehusband Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

There appears to be a number of questions involving rider participation in TT 2007. There is disapointment from Wade Boyde with not being able to race at this years TT Races. After looking at the results, Wade Boyde finished in 56th (last) place in last years TT Suberbike Race at an average speed 107.965 mph. To include only riders who lap over 115 mph in this years race from last years TT results would in this years Suberbike and Senior Race would give you a field of about 30 competitors and would excluded William Dunlop, Les Shand, Fabrice Miguet and Ian Forristal. The competitors for the Manx Grand Prix used treaded road tyres and last years Manx Grand Prix winner averaged 116 mph in windy conditions compared to 120 mph average race speed for the winner in 2005.

The commercial aspects of the TT Races has been evident for a number of years and not a feature of the TT post 2003. I am surprised that Paul Phillips has replied to the comments on commerical aspects of the TT Races. What he has not mentioned that the government financial regulations are about financial stewardship and transparency in regard to tendering for government contracts. What Paul Phillips has mentioned is that local companies are involved in the tendering process in regard to commercial aspects of the TT 2007. Perhaps what he should have mentioned (if he was going to comment at all) is for example the printing of the TT Programme was placed for tender in the usual manner using the correct part of the financial regulations over the winter of 2006. However, the departments way of dealing with this aspect of the commercial elements of the TT races is to advertise in the local media for "Registration of Interest" for a particular part of the commercial operation of the TT Races. As far as the financial regulations are concerned this is acceptable, if the persons or companies registering an interest are approached to tender for a particular contract using the normal tendering arrangments. The criticism of this approach may be that the "Registration of Interest" may not mention a possibility of a tendering process and all the interested parties may not be aware that they have been included in a tendering process when that the tendering takes place. At the end of the day it is a question of transparency in regard to tendering for government contracts and perhaps the "Registration of Interest" method may cause problems with members of the public and local companies when the financial regulations are mentioned by Paul Phillips in this context.

I have only mentioned this as the intial comments of this posting was about a problem with trading spaces behind the TT Grandstand. I must admit that I am unsure what the problem was or how it was resolved by the department. Although this string is about commercial aspects of TT 2007 in respect to this problem of spaces behind the TT Grandstand can be compared to the recent tendering for shop units in the Villa Marina Arcade. The normal tendering procedure has been used for prospective tenants by the Department of Local Government and note that no "Registration of Interest" notices have been used. The point that I am trying to make is that perhaps that there is better way to deal with traders that use the facilities behind the TT Grandstand that follows not only uses the governments financial regulations, but also follows normal commercial expectations, even if the tenant is using the space for a short space of time.

Another commercial aspect mentioned for TT Races 2007 has been the advertising for milestone marker post and TT directional boards. Again commerical advertising is nothing new for the TT Races and not something that has happened post TT 2003. I have noticed that in mid-April 2007 that some TT milestone marker posts still have advertising although this contact has come to an end. Some milestone and directional boards are faded and showing signs of fading paint and rust. The directional board at the 13th Milestone is the older wooden board type attached to a tree.

Although, Paul Phillips has mentioned commerical aspects of this advertising, he has again not taken the opportunity to explain the situation. However, I must admit that this is a complex area. For example, if the commercial advertising aspects have been contacted to company to approach either local or UK companies to advertise on milestone or directional boards or other hoardings around the course and the company has tendered for the contact using the normal government tendering process then perhaps this should this should have been mentioned (if he was going to comment at all) I do not see a problem in this area as long as the correct tendering process has been followed.

Nevertheless, in regard to contacts a there appears to lack of understanding in regard to the princiapals of commercial law. Although one company has be mentioned by Paul Phillips, it was not explained if the contract was with the department (as holder of the commercial rights to the TT Races) or the MMCC the body responsible for the running for the TT Races. Again this is a complex legal area and I only mention this with my points in regard to the "Registration of Interest" method used by the department. To illustrate this, there has been the advertising for sale of TT 2007 Programmes on the internet before they are for sale to the general public in the Isle of Man. This is by at least two local companies and one enterprising indvidual on eBay. I am not sure of the tendering for this right of sale or it has been "Registered as an Interest." Perhaps it may be seen as trying expanding commercial interests, although it may be poor understand of commercial and contract law by the department and as regard to the general Isle of Man population as semi-monopolistic.
27-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
TT07....Own worst enemy? - by Fitz - 18-04-2007, 11:22 AM
[No subject] - by ZZR600 - 18-04-2007, 11:54 AM
[No subject] - by couperman - 18-04-2007, 12:48 PM
[No subject] - by Fitz - 18-04-2007, 01:25 PM
[No subject] - by mikec - 18-04-2007, 03:12 PM
[No subject] - by FC - 18-04-2007, 05:52 PM
[No subject] - by Anonymous - 18-04-2007, 08:55 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Phillips - 18-04-2007, 09:56 PM
[No subject] - by Fitz - 19-04-2007, 01:52 PM