Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
Re the comment I made re Guy's Mountain Course validity. I never said that he shouldn't ride, I am sure he has done sufficient racing miles.
However, I was given to understand that, after certain exceptions had been made over the last few years, the insurers had withdrawn the option of "Exceptions", and that everyone had to qualify for the Mountain Course licence in the approved manner.

For example, the requirement for this year's Classic TT/MGP being: Compete (and finish) in six separate road race events over a thirteen month period (1st June 2016 to 30th June 2017).  2016 ClassicTT/MGP Practice counts as one signature, and a Mountain Course race finish qualifies as another. Two races must be completed in the year of the event, i.e. this year.
In some instances a Saturday/Sunday race meeting counts as two signatures as long as there are two different permit numbers.

In my opinion, this requirement is too demanding for (say) Manx Grand Prix riders competing on a tight budget, however, when I discussed this with the ACU in my position as Riders Liaison Officer for the MGP, they indicated to me that it was the Insurers who were making the minimum requirement.

I had a similar decision to make with regard riding a bike that gained a reputation for unreliability, i.e. the Britten, when I rode it in 1994.
Poor Mark Farmer was killed on the bike in Thursday's practice, Robert Holden then pulled out stating that he did not feel comfortable riding the bike, leaving me to make a difficult decision. I raced the bike two days later, but it was a difficult decision. I felt ok on the bike, but it WAS ridiculously unreliable. However, I am sure that John Britten respected me for deciding to ride it, even though I broke down in both Formula One and Senior races. I would agree that not everyone agreed that I should ride it, but I made a decision and stuck to it.
If you asked my opinion on whether Guy should ride, I think he should (if fit), but I have a feeling that he won't. Definitely NOT an easy decision, but whatever he decides to do, I believe we should respect him.
05-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview... - by Splashdown - 05-06-2017, 06:45 PM