Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers
FCM Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers
(28-02-2012, 06:31 PM)an old man returns Wrote:
(15-02-2012, 12:45 PM)Malcolm Wrote: David Taylor, who is both a regular Manx Grand Prix competitor and an ambassador for the event, said he thought there was no single 'magic bullet' that would solve the problem.

But he said a clear line between the classic and modern races would be popular with both competitors and spectators.

"Run the classic races (and this includes the Post Classic race) in the first half of the week and the modern bikes in the second half of the week," he suggested.

"The type of spectator that derives enjoyment from watching Manx Nortons, AJS 7Rs, Ducati 350 singles, is likely to be bored by the spectacle of modern machinery hurtling by (and vice-versa).

"There may be a nominal argument for having a mixture of old and new every day to keep spectators on the island for all of race week, I am unconvinced.

"Inevitably the congestion this results in at the end of the fortnight results in people being put off coming to the island,"
he said.

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
By John Turner

Sorry David I totally disagree with your statement.......I feel that your opinion is your own and NOT shared by the masses.

A modern and classic race on each day is the defining way to go and the organisers must leave the race format alone.

There is plenty of speculation on the 'other' site relating to the future of the Manx Grand Prix, most of it misses the point but there are a fair few salient points. In particular...entry fees, the lack of the publics awareness of the MGP event, event promotion and IOMSPC cost. It’s good to read the press release from the MMCC I can only hope the DED decides to back the event.

Whilst I appreciate the 'loss' detailed in the DED figures, may be correct, it is difficult to dwell on a calculated figure and take the reward to the IOM out of context. It must be remembered that economic cash flow is an impossible figure to calculate. The IOM benefits from economic cash flow generated by the MGP in ways that cannot be calculated for instance services and jobs available/utilised by the MGP spend put money into the economy and thus stays in the economy....if the 'motorsport' cash flow is reduced what are the DED going to replace it with. Economic cash flow is the life’s blood of any community, without it pressure is brought onto the benefits system. Less services/jobs, less tax-less tax less money available for benefits.

The MGP needs to be promoted (sold) better. To continue to put the loss of revenue on the competitor is a flawed business plan, it’s obvious that increasing the entry fee will result in a reduced competitor entry, a reduced competitor entry, as seems to be happening, leads to a lower economic cash flow.
To dwell on a single issue, say insurance and the possible fact that the MGP entry fee doesn’t cover the cost is also flawed; the event is a golden opportunity to generate funds.
I hope progress is made.
Spread the word 'SUPPORT THE MAN GRAND PRIX'

At a major Bike show held in Holland last week attended by 10,000s not many when asked about the MGP knew the event existed. FACT.

A problem the MGP does face is the lack of interest by the classic lads now, they are getting older and not being replaced by younger riders, this will result in a decline of the event unless something else can be found to replace the classic races

28-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers - by FCM - 28-02-2012, 06:42 PM