Is this not a cause for concern ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is this not a cause for concern ?
It is a matter for great concern. The ACU officials whose early meal meant riders missed their own award ceremony at the TT might like to reflect on how the marshalls who dealt with the aftermath of the Thursday afternoon accident felt.
One of the riders involved said to me that he thought it was worse for them than for the riders involved in many ways. What support did the ACU offer those people? Did they even get a letter of thanks? I much doubt it.
The suggestion of reduced ferry fares or subsidised accomodation etc is a good one, but I know from having marshalled for many years, that some folk will turn up, get their entrance money back or whatever, marshall for the shortest possible time, then vanish. It seems to me, therefore, that a system where signed-on marshalls, countersigned at the end of their "shift" (one day/two days etc), by the sector marshall(s) would be given/sent an equivalent sum to their fare/set fee/something else. The course car could be preceded by a van with snacks/drinks. At mainland circuits marshalls get lunch or whatever.
A bit of care for and about the people who give their time...many come from Germany, France etc, would be the least they should expect. At least 4 marshalls, regulars for years, from Germany, did not come this year because of cost. They normally covered every practice and race...and paid dearly for the privilege.
If enough Manx based marshalls...who cover all the other stuff too, I believe...rallies, motocross, trials, Jurby, S100 etc...were trained and accredited, and given an annual fee for their services, they could be team leaders/sector marshalls. Off island volunteers could have their cost paid to come over for a training course in the winter to be the same.
Of course, this would probably eat into the freebie lunch/dinner budget...
20-08-2003, 08:57 PM

Messages In This Thread
Is this not a cause for concern ? - by Anonymous - 20-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Re: Is this not a cause for concern ? - by Anonymous - 20-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Re: Is this not a cause for concern ? - by Anonymous - 20-08-2003, 08:57 PM