The TT is pure, primeval ... and should be banned ???
b5070 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The TT is pure, primeval ... and should be banned ???
I remember back when "Wee Stevie" Hislop (one of his mechanics called him that) got Joeys bikes - 89 if I'm thinking correctly, and the talk was then, that if anyone was knocking on the door of lapping at 120mph - they'd have to ride it like a short circuit -- and same mechanic "He'll either win or kill himsel" . Well, history shows "Wee Stevie" did a pretty fine job that year, not only breaking the lap record - shattering it, at 121.34mph ---- and lived to tell the tale. How things have changed since 1989 - with there being little chance of being anywhere in the top 3, without a 130+ lap or two these days. Heady times indeed - and hardly reflected by any huge improvements of the course - more about the machinery/tyres being able to cope with such mind blowing averages. 1989 was a hugely black year for fatalities, with 5 during the TT - including my friend Phil Hogg, and 3 during the Manx - RIP all.
So - after reading the 'knee jerk' article by this 'journalist' - I of course think back to MO's scathing words - from back when. At least he was a TT rider, and had an inside perspective of what it actually takes to win a race here.
We all hate criticism - especially when it is just based on prejudices + statistics - not actual experience, and this guy clearly hasn't a clue about why the TT is still growing from strength to strength. As long as there are "Everest's' to conquer - mankind will keep trying, and the IOM just happens to be a little bigger (challenge) than Everest -- and  that makes it all the more appealing for those skilled enough to even contemplate scaling the heady heights of the mountain course.
As for my first words - regarding having to ride it like a short circuit -- well, if you don't fancy doing that - don't sign up here!
Roll on the Classic races & TT 18, I think we're safe enough!
02-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The TT is pure, primeval ... and should be banned ??? - by b5070 - 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM