Sandra Barnett still the best !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Sandra Barnett - a rare talent.
For those interested... Yes Sandra did indeed win the New Era 600 Club Championship in 1996, she also won the EMRA 1000cc production championship in 1995.
She broke and still holds the Production Lap record at Fairford Circuit with The North Glos Club on a 750 Suzuki.
Her short circuit racing career effectively ended at Brands Hatch in Sept 1996 with a big crash at Surtees which ruptured her knee ligaments very badly.
She returned to the TT in 1997 (recognise the pictures by the black leathers, the only year that she didn't ride in all white!)but the team (me) made a poor decision to supply her with a VTR1000 which turned out to be unsuitable for the job but she still managed to beat her own lap record by a few seconds on the 600, tough going as it was the only event in which she rode that year.
In 1998, still recovering from the knee injury, Sandra rode for the News of the World Endurance team missing the TT. In 1999 she decided to concentrate on getting fit by riding Enduros and Trials. She competed in a number of Clubman National Enduro rounds on a KDX220 and rode a Gas Gas 270 in lots of club trials.
Backed by long time sponsor Paxford Garage, and Frasers of Glos., Sandra made a one-off return to the TT in 2000 but rain hit practice conspired to keep her off the pace she had set in 96-97, the highlight of the week actually coming in the 400 race on the Paxford Garage NC30 which she rode to a career best TT finish of 9th place.
Looking back, (as mentioned by someone else in another post) Sandra has/had set the fastest laps and races by a female competitor on a 250 two stroke, 400, Single Cylinder, 600, F1, Senior and 1000 Production with superb finishes in many of these races. With a Silver replica in the 1996 Junior TT!!
There are only a few male riders who would think nothing of doing two TT practice laps on a TZ 250, swapping straight to a RC30 750 for two more laps then without a word jump on to a Honda Fireblade for another lap and lapping all three at over 110. This was the sort of thing that Sandra did comfortably during every TT she rode.
I feel totally confident that she had 120 mph laps in her, she was always so smooth and in control... but it was never to be.
For those interested in what she is doing now, I have lost touch with Sandra but look out for a rider on an R6 wearing a white Arai with red stars, you might just get a shock if you try to keep up when they overtake!
Finally, I would like to congratulate Maria on her fantastic lap in this years Production race, I know only too well how hard it is to lap at over 110, all credit to Maria for beating Sandra's lap time, that was no mean feat and took determination and guts... sincere congratulations, well done!
17-06-2004, 10:38 PM

Messages In This Thread
Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Re: Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Re: Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Re: Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Re: Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Re: Sandra Barnett still the best ! - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Re: Sandra Barnett - a rare talent. - by Anonymous - 17-06-2004, 10:38 PM