TT roads open driver quits over car switch
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
TT roads open driver quits over car switch
Saw this on iomtoday.com:

THE boss of a Manx family firm that has supplied TT course cars for generations has resigned as an official roads open driver after the contract was awarded to Audi this year.
It was announced today (Monday) that the new Audi TT, originally named in honour of the TT races, had been chosen as the official car of the 2008 event.

For nearly 60 unbroken years the Mylchreests Group has been supplying the roads open and course inspection cars free of charge for the TT.

But last week company managing director David Mylchreest was told personally by Tourism and Leisure Minister Adrian Earnshaw that his department has received a 'better offer'.

Mr Mylchreest has now resigned as official driver for the course cars and insists his company will not be supporting the TT for the 'foreseeable future'.

He said: 'To say I'm upset is an understatement. Our company has been supplying cars for the TT and MGP for 59 years continually and exclusively. My father Brian and I have driven those cars throughout the time, him for 40 years and myself for 30 years.

'I'm proud that we've supported the TT and MGP all those years. We are desperately sad that it has come to a halt in this way.'

Mr Earnshaw told the Examiner that the decision was a commercial one and the process had been fair.

He said: 'I am disappointed but I can understand why David Mylchreest is upset.

'We received a very good offer from another provider, one that would be very difficult to refuse. As a businessman I hope that David will understand that.

'I recognise that David is a very skilled and experienced driver and I hope that he will reconsider his decision to resign.'

Audi will supply eight of its new 272PS TTS cars for the races. The festival will also feature on Audi's satellite TV channel and the deal will also see the manufacturer providing a cash injection into this year's TT.

What do you think of the switch? Send your opinions to newsviews@newsiom.co.im

The full article contains 355 words and appears in n/a newspaper.Last Updated: 07 April 2008 2:23 PM
07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by Phil Windrum - 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by FC - 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by cargo - 07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by truthandhonesty - 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by thewitch - 10-04-2008, 05:55 PM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by cargo - 16-04-2008, 10:24 AM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by thewitch - 16-04-2008, 10:30 AM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by cargo - 16-04-2008, 10:36 AM
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch - by thewitch - 16-04-2008, 01:35 PM