prohibited area thoughts
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
prohibited area thoughts
I was glad to hear there will be a review of prohibited areas. In my opinion many of the areas targeted this year were popular viewing sites which had the effect of squashing more people into other popular areas like Union Mills. If there is ever another year like 07 some places will be like sardines. I wonder if the review will relax some areas or just continue to add more?

Just wanted to make a few points. I should start by saying I didn't have any trouble watching this year. Generally we like to get off the beaten track and away from big crowds but this isn't everyones idea of fun being stuck in a field with a flask and sandwiches. I have been lucky enough to watch at most of the now prohibited areas but feel it's a shame that others in future may not be able to experience places like Black Dub and Ballacrye.

Firstly, the yellow tape was a bit confusing. In some areas it seemed to signify the area was totally prohibited while others it seemed to say you were OK as long as you were behind the tape. You really had to get out and look at the pictures on the signs. Perhaps these could be made more public next year ie put on websites etc?

Secondly, there were certainly more than a few new areas. Off the top of my head here's some possibly new or extended ones I spotted: Glen Lough, facing the Highlander, before Harold's farm at Cronk Breck, the Glen Helen section I'll come back to, all the way up Lambfell on the left, more at entrance to Kirk Michael?, Rhencullen, Alpine, Ballacob before Ballaugh, Ballacrye, Quarry bends, bit more at Gooseneck?, Joeys, various bits of mountain again I'll come back to, bigger areas at Windy Cnr, Creg and Signpost.

Some of these are probably fair enough. I know many felt the one at Signpost which lasted the whole way to Bedstead seemed OTT. At Ballcrye you can watch up to the jump but not after. It's unlikely that a bike in trouble over the jump would take a 90 degree left turn into the trees and perhaps a lucky few could still watch after the jump for a short distance?

The whole section from Ballacraine to Glen Helen has been decimated. Small areas remain at Laurel Bank and the last left before Glen Helen. Perhaps the DOTL were counting this as 1 prohibited area!? I also get the impression that in some areas it was just easier to keep going with the tape thru whole sections rather than leave some small places which looked OK.

There did seem to be differences between what was released as prohibited areas and what actually happened on the ground. We watched one day on mountain from above 33rd. The booklet said it was prohibited "on the right side of the road from the apex at Windy Cnr to Kate's cottage on the grass verge and hard standing areas IN FRONT OF THE WIRE FENCE." We noticed the signs were actually behind the fence and asked a marshall who said they were not allowing anyone to watch from that side the whole way down including straight bits and the inside of bends. I thought this may have been to ensure that you are always behind a wall up the mountain but saw other areas where this was not necessary.

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit! Don't get me wrong, I still love the place and hope to be back next year. Just sharing some thoughts!
09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
prohibited area thoughts - by Phil Windrum - 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
RE: prohibited area thoughts - by beepee - 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
RE: prohibited area thoughts - by oatssi - 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
RE: prohibited area thoughts - by hayley mills - 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
RE: prohibited area thoughts - by sticky - 10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
RE: prohibited area thoughts - by Boris - 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM