Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
Aspar in Kawasaki talks

Motorcycling team Aspar are in talks over a possible takeover of MotoGP factory squad Kawasaki.

The Japanese manufacturer will soon announce its exit from the elite class of the World Championship, with 125cc and 250cc outfit Aspar keen to run the ex-works bikes in 2009.

MotoGP rights holders Dorna are keen to keep Kawasaki, one of five factory teams last season, in the sport.

"For the last two days I've been on the phone with Dorna," Aspar boss Jorge Martinez told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "They called me first.

"We are in contact - and talks to buy out the two Kawasakis have started.

"I'm very interested in MotoGP. It's a project that was already in my plans. Now there is this opportunity; I don't yet know with certainty what will happen.

"For my part there is the will to talk."

Aspar had previously held discussions with Kawasaki about forming a satellite squad. However they fell through over Kawasaki's insistence on a spot for Japanese rider Shinya Nakano.

Martinez indicated that John Hopkins, who along with Marco Melandri had signed a deal to ride with Kawasaki in 2009, would be welcome at the team should it come to fruition.

"I certainly wouldn't have any problem with Melandri. In fact, he's a rider I've always liked very much," he said.

"[However] the matter regarding riders isn't a priority at the moment."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Kawasaki to quit MotoGP - by Malcolm - 31-12-2008, 01:17 PM
RE: Kawasaki to quit MotoGP - by Jan Grainger - 01-01-2009, 12:30 AM
RE: Kawasaki to quit MotoGP - by Malcolm - 03-01-2009, 01:48 PM