Tommy Hill - Still Gutted
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tommy Hill - Still Gutted
[Image: worxsuzihdr.jpg]

It’s just over a week now since Oulton Park. And yes, I’m still gutted. You’d expect me to say that. But what you might not know is that instead of sitting at home feeling bad about it all, I’ve actually been laying in hospital feeling bad about it all! You’ll recall that in that second crash at Lodge I lost quite a bit of bark off my arm and elbow. Well, sure enough, it got infected, so Tuesday night we had to trundle down to the hospital and so for the next few days I got to mull things over in splendid isolation. I’m still chewing on some pretty strong antibiotics now, so I still definitely don’t feel so good all round.

That weekend was something, though. To be that close, to almost have one hand on the prize and then to lose it, it has been a massive disappointment. It was difficult to live with at the time, I really needed to curl up in a ball somewhere a long way from everyone, but there was still that third race to do and then the podium presentations to deal with. The crowd support was incredible, though. I have to say a massive thank you to everyone for the support and the sympathy. If anything it made it feel all the worse – I’d not just let myself down, and the team, but I’d let down all the fans, they were definitely looking forward to a British champion. So it really was hugely emotional, I’ve never felt anything like it.

So now we have to move on. Because of the economic climate it’s like we’re starting from scratch for 2011, but the job is the same – to secure the best place I can to give me the opportunity to again fight for the championship. There’s a lot of gloom and despondency because of the state of the economy and lack of bike sales at the moment, but against that we have to look at the success of BSB. To get 40,000 fans for that last day of racing – and it’s been so strong all year – it says that while people are having to cut back in certain areas they’re clearly not ready to give up on the racing. The British championship is still one of the biggest motorcycle championships in the world. And it certainly delivers on drama and nail-biting finishes (as I know). There are still so many positives and that’s what we have to carry forward.

It was Vinny Jones (as Big Chris in Lock Stock...) who said that now heavily overused, ‘it’s been emotional’, but I can’t really better that. It has been.

Looking forward to next season...

Tommy

[Image: thillheadshot.jpg]
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
18-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Website Find Reply