North West 200 - Seeley already ahead of rivals
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
North West 200 - Seeley already ahead of rivals
[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

Wee Wizard Alastair Seeley is the first name on the grid for this year's Relentless International North West 200.

Entries for the Saturday, May 21 event opened yesterday and Carrick rider Seeley was fastest in to Race HQ with confirmation of his appearance in all five classes.

Seeley will race his Relentless TAS Suzuki machines in the two Superbike, two Supersport and Superstock races.

His aim will obviously be to build on last year's success when he became the first Irish rider in 13 years to win a Superbike race at the North West 200, emulating Phillip McCallen, after a magical ride on the Relentless Suzuki to fend off the determined challenge of Stuart Easton and John McGuinness.

Welcoming Seeley's initiative, Race Director Mervyn Whyte, now standing by for a flood of entries from home and abroad, said: “The North West 200 is the only road race in which Alastair competes and I have watched him develop and mature over the last few years into one of Ireland’s top road racers.

“He has demonstrated he can compete at all levels, finishing last season with an excellent position in the BSB Superbike Championship. This is on top of his major wins at the North West.”

In another new and interesting North West development, the organising Coleraine club plan to carry out a full scale table top emergency exercise before the end of March.

This will be a multi-agency exercise which will include the police, Fire and Rescue Service, HM Coastguard, Ambulance Service, the Raynet radio emergency group, race officials and Coleraine Council.

Work begins on setting up the course in early April and course superintendents John Adams and Terry Butcher are appealing for volunteers to help carry out the work. To get involved, contact the race office by e-mail at info@northwest200.org or telephone 028 7035 5800.

Meanwhile, Suzuki has called up its former MotoGP rider John Hopkins as a reserve for the 2011 season, and the American could test the team's latest bike in Qatar next month.

With Suzuki cutting back to a single MotoGP entry for Alvaro Bautista this year, the team is keen to ensure it is not left without a presence on the grid if the Spaniard is injured.

--- / ---

Billy Nutt’s Adelaide Insurance-sponsored Motorcycle Festival opens today at the King’s Hall in Belfast and runs until Sunday.

Top riders, bikes old and new and all manner of motorcycle paraphernalia will grace the trade stands.

Admission is £10, adults, and £5, senior citizens; under-14s enter free.

Opening times: Friday 2.00pm-10.00pm; Saturday and Sunday 10.00am-5.00pm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Website Find Reply