DIFFICULT WEEKEND FOR APRILIA ALITALIA RACING TEAM AT DONINGTON PARK
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DIFFICULT WEEKEND FOR APRILIA ALITALIA RACING TEAM AT DONINGTON PARK
[Image: aprilialogo.jpg]

Pre-Raceday Comments.

Max Biaggi confirms his good feeling about the English track - "Donington is a track that I like very much. I've always been able to achieve good results there and even riding the RSV4 for the first time in 2009 I took a spot on the podium. This is a good time for us; we have just come from a difficult track like Phillip Island with the certainty that we are still competitive. On this track we must not underestimate the thick patrol of English riders who always find some special motivation when they are playing on their home turf. In any case, we're ready to take on their attacks along with the uncertain weather factor which could also shuffle the cards on the table. I feel fit and I'm ready to battle".

Leon Camier is part of that English patrol, arriving at Donington after an Australian round which was conditioned by troublesome physical difficulties.

"The weekend at Phillip Island was truly terrible, but it's over now and we're looking toward the next races. Physically I feel much better. I took advantage of the break to rest up and recover my strength. At Donington I certainly aim to make up for it. In any case it won't be easy. In Australia we saw a very level playing field and a lot of riders who are very capable of setting their sites on the podium. On top of that all of the English riders will be wanting to look good on their home track, so we'll have to give it our very best".

Raceday Comments

The two races on the English track at Donington Park demonstrated all of the difficulties and treachery of a difficult world championship such as WSBK to the reigning world champion Italian team. Race 1 saw both Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team riders off to a good start from the second row, so much so that Leon Camier found himself battling for the podium until the halfway point. Max Biaggi, on the other hand, was troubled by a series of small mistakes which kept him from catching up the leading group, finishing the race in seventh place just ahead of his team mate. ‪

The second race became an immediate uphill battle for the world champion, with a false start and therefore, by regulation, a compulsory ride-through. Preoccupied with his attempts to mount a comeback, Max didn't see the boards and had to return to the pit disqualified, bringing his weekend to an early close.

[Image: apriliadonny.jpg]

Leon Camier, on the other hand, battled with the front runners, maintaining a consistent pace after a good start, reaching second place behind Checa. After a winning battle with Marco Melandri, a probably wear on the brakes kept him from being able to fight it out down to the last turn for the second place position. The third step final result is in any case encouraging for the season to come.

"I realised that I had moved on the grid – were Max's first words after race 2 – so I was well aware that my race had been compromised. I tried to push right away to recover, but I lost my concentration because of that mistake, losing several positions. Unfortunately I didn't see the boards – when you're in the pack that can happen. I'm extremely sorry for the Team, two results below expectations that must not ruin the good that has been done thus far. To the contrary, this is the time when we need to be united, learning even from these bad days. The season is long, we'll have the opportunity to make amends".

Leon Camier was visibly satisfied with his fourth podium astride the Aprilia RSV4: "It was truly a good weekend for me, after the rough start in Australia. It's hard after doing so much preparation during the winter not be in the best conditions then for the start of the season. Fortunately I was feeling well right from the start here. I worked well with my Team to prepare for these two races and the results prove it. It was a shame that in Race 2 a small problem with the brakes kept me from making a play for it with Marco Melandri, but that doesn't ruin the joy of third place. I'd like to thank my Team, obviously, as well as my good friend Keith Code who helped me out a lot".
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
28-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Website Find Reply