King Kiyo: Defending the crown
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
King Kiyo: Defending the crown
[Image: hondahdr.gif]

Reigning MCE Insurance British Superbike champion Ryuichi Kiyonari begins his title defence next weekend at Brands Hatch (22-25 April) as the Japanese ace bids for an unprecedented fourth championship crown.

Kiyonari is currently the most successful rider in BSB history with a record 41 wins from 121 races and last season equalled Niall Mackenzie's record of three titles, however the HM Plant Honda rider believes that this could be one of the hardest seasons he has every experienced as he prepares for the opening two races.

[Image: kiyofrontal.jpg]

Kiyo said:

"Our pre-season testing has been very good. We went to Spain and we still had lots of work to do, then we went to Cadwell Park and we worked hard again but we were happier. At Snetterton we improved and I knew that we had moved forward again so I had a good sleep after that test! At every circuit we had lots to test, probably more than last year, but with Shakey we have worked together and we have been getting faster. I think we are in a better place now than we were before Brands Hatch last year because we have tried very hard over the winter to improve as we want to win again!

"The Indy circuit is a difficult track because you need a good qualifying; I know I must have a good grid position as it will be so important for the first race. There are lots of very good riders in BSB and it is going to be important to be winning races at every round. There is a lot of pressure before the first race at Brands Hatch for everyone because nobody knows who is going to be fast. There is pressure on me because I am champion, but after the first race I think we can relax a little because there is so much that is unknown before we start racing again.

"Shakey is especially fast at Brands Hatch and we are quite equal with our settings and our bikes so we will have to wait to see who is faster! I think the riders that were fighting for the championship last season will be there again and there are so many different riders with new teams and bikes who are also fast. There are too many who can win so the races should be exciting for the fans! I want to win at Brands Hatch, for myself and the team and also the people of Japan."
16-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Website Find Reply